About the Denon PMA-1700NE
A versatile, powerful amp for high-res music listening
Intelligent circuit design helps the Denon PMA-1700NE produce pristine sound from your favorite digital sources, from CDs to streaming.
A versatile, powerful amp for high-res music listening
Denon built the PMA-1700NE to help celebrate their 110th anniversary. It provides good, clean power, and it's 4-ohm stable, which makes it compatible with a wide range of stereo speakers.
And it's designed to do full justice to high-resolution digital audio sources. There are two optical inputs and one coaxial input for connecting your CD player, TV, and more. All three of these inputs accept audio signals up to 24-bit/192 kHz resolution. The Type-B USB input on the back of the amp is even more impressive — it's compatible with streams and files up to 32-bit/384 kHz resolution.
Going the extra mile
Much of what makes this amp special is out of sight inside the chassis, where circuits are isolated as much as possible to eliminate interference. An Advanced Ultra High Current single push-pull circuit provides efficient high-current power, and a DAC master clock eliminates digital jitter that can smear the subtle details in your favorite tunes.
One nice touch that is visible on the front of the amp is a fluorescent display panel that shows source and sampling rate. You'll likely get plenty of use out of the 1/4" headphone jack and included remote, too.
Special features for vinyl lovers
If you have a treasure trove of beloved records, the PMA-1700NE features a built-in phono preamplifier that's compatible with moving coil and moving magnet cartridges. Analog Mode disables the amp's digital circuitry to preserve the warmth of analog sound.
- 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD
- 140 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- built-in DAC supports high-resolution audio via USB or optical and coaxial inputs (32-bit/384 kHz)
- DAC master clock eliminates digital jitter
- Advanced AL32 Processing Plus upsamples digital audio sources
- Source Direct mode bypasses tone control circuits for cleaner sound
- analog amp mode disables digital circuitry for warm all-analog sound
- Advanced Ultra High Current single push-pull circuit power amplifier
- front-panel display shows source and sample rate
- front-panel tone controls (treble and bass)
- frequency response: 5-100,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 107 dB (line in), 89 dB (moving magnet), 74 dB (moving coil)
- remote control included
- 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs (all support PCM signals up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- 3 stereo RCA inputs for analog sources
- dedicated phono input compatible with moving coil and moving magnet cartridges
- stereo RCA audio output for recording
- fixed-gain stereo RCA preamp input lets you connect a separate preamp and use the PMA-1700NE as a power amp
- rear-panel Type-B USB input supports high-resolution PCM files up to 32-bit/384kHz or 11.2 MHz DSD
- built-in headphone amplifier with full-size (1/4-inch) jack
- binding posts for two pairs of speakers
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/8"W x 5-5/16"H x 17-5/8"D
- weight: 38.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- MFR # PMA1700NESP
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 68" AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1249)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Customer reviews for Denon PMA-1700NE
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Denon PMA-1700NE
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||70|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||140|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||107|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||384 kHz|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|RCA Line-level Inputs||3|
|XLR Line-level Inputs||No|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Stereo Preamp Outputs||No|
|Home Theater Bypass||Fixed|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Advanced Ultra High Current (UHC)-MOS Single Push-Pull Circuit Power Amplifier: The amplifier features Advanced UHC (Ultra High Current)-MOS technology that utilizes a minimum number of high-current amplifier elements to balance advanced speaker drive capabilities and improved sound quality. Advanced UHC-MOS is an ideal amplifier whose power supply performance is superior to that of bipolar transistors and incorporates the sound quality advantages of MOS-FETs. The Advanced UHC-MOS is provided in a single push-pull configuration that eliminates deviations in the amplification stage and balances high power with delicate musical details. This circuit masterfully reproduces the full sonic range, from the delicate musical nuances to the powerful climaxes of rich musical expression.
- 8-Ohm Power Rating: 70 watts x 2 channel (@ 20-20kHz, into 8 ohm, with 0.07% THD)
- 4-Ohm Power Rating: 140 watts x 2 channel (@ 1kHz, into 4 ohm, with 0.7% THD)
6-Block Chassis Configuration with Direct Mechanical Ground Construction: The PMA-1700NE's chassis is configured of six independent blocks that house the phono equalizer and input circuitry, volume control circuitry, USB-DAC circuitry, amplification circuitry, power section, and the control section. The chassis is constructed with 1.0mm thick steel plates to protect the signal circuits from external vibration and eliminates the adverse effects of mutual interference among the circuits. The power section has been positioned in the center of the PMA-1700NE. With heat sinks on both sides, this construction of well-balanced mass is in an ideal location to prevent unwanted vibration from affecting sound quality. In addition, the feet supporting the heavy weight of the power transformer, heat sinks, and chassis are made of ABS resin with rigid rib construction.
32-Bit/384kHz DAC: The Denon PMA-1700NE employs a TI (Texas Instruments) PMC1795 32-bit/384kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) capable of delivering clean, clear, and high-grade sound for 2ch PCM and DSD audio.
|Digital Connector Type||Digital Audio File Format||Sampling Frequency||Bit-Length|
|USB-B||DSD (2ch)||2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz||1-bit|
|Linear PCM (2ch)||44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/ |
|Optical/Coaxial||Linear PCM (2ch)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/ |
Advanced AL32 Processing Plus: For the digital inputs, the PMA-1700NE employs Advanced AL32 Processing Plus, the latest version of Denon's analog waveform reproduction technology which utilizes unique data interpolation algorithms and also supports high-resolution 384kHz/32-bit PCM signal input. These algorithms interpolate points that should exist before and after the points in large quantities of data to achieve a smooth waveform that is close to that of the original signal. By carefully restoring data that was lost during digital recording, the resulting playback sound is highly detailed, free of interference, accurately localized, richly expressive in the lower range, and beautifully faithful to the original sound.
Digital Isolator: The PMA-1700NE is equipped with a high-speed digital isolator to eliminate adverse influences on sound quality caused by high-frequency noise from a USB-connected computer or from the PMA-1700NE's digital inputs. Since data is transferred magnetically via coils embedded in an IC chip, the input and output sides are electrically isolated. By isolating the signal line between digital audio circuitry and the D/A converter, adverse influences of high-frequency noise on analogue audio circuitry after the D/A converter are eliminated. The PMA-1700NE also adopted a dedicated secondary winding in power transformer for the digital circuitry to shut out noise from the power source.
Asynchronous USB-B Input: The PMA-1700NE provides a USB-B input that support high-resolution 11.2-MHz DSD and 32-bit/384kHz PCM input signals from your Windows PC or Mac computer. DSD transmission methods support ASIO native playback and DSD Audio over PCM Frames (DoP). Since asynchronous transfer is controlled by the PMA-1700NE's master clock rather than the clock of a computer the transfer is free of jitter. Computer system requirements are as follows -
- Operating System: The PMA-1700NE's USB-B input supports Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. A Windows PC will require USB-driver software. Download the driver software from theDenon website. It also supports Mac OSX 10.9, 10.10, or 10.11 (no special USB-driver software is required).
- USB Specification: Your computer must be equipped with a USB 2.0 (type-A) port. Use a USB 2.0 cable (sold separately) that is less than 10' to connect between your computer and the integrated amplifier.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The PMA-1700NE features two Optical (Toslink) digital inputs and one Coaxial (RCA) digital input that support PCM signals up to 192kHz/24-bit. Linear PCM signals (16- or 24-bit) with a sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, or 192 kHz can be input into this unit. These digital inputs help to improve sound and visual quality of your TV audio, Blu-Ray, media players and more.
Note: The optical & coaxial digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, DSD, or AAC.
Line-Level RCA Inputs & Output: The Denon integrated amplifier is outfitted with three line-level, stereo RCA inputs labeled "CD", "Network", and "Recorder". Use these analog line-level inputs to connect legacy devices, such as a CD player or tape deck. Audio signals input into this unit can be output to an external recording device, using the integrated amplifiers stereo line-level RCA outputs. When recording audio from a playback device connected to this unit, audio can be recorded with the playback device still connected to the integrated amp.
MM/MC Phono Equalizer: The PMA-1700NE includes a phono input and equalizer that supports connection from turntable's with either MM or MC cartridges. This phono equalizer has high gain, and as loops in the circuit board pattern can cause adverse effects on sound quality, the "simple & straight" design represents a significant improvement. On the PMA-1700NE, the MM/MC toggle switch was changed from a push type to a relay type, which shortens the pattern on the circuit board and makes signal loops smaller, allowing delicate analogue signals to be amplified with greater purity.
A & B Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Denon integrated amplifier provides A & B speaker terminals for connection of up to two pair of loudspeakers or bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers. The A & B speaker terminals consist of heavy-duty, binding-post connectors that support bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
- Speaker A or B: When connecting only one pair of speakers, you can use loudspeakers with a 4Ω to 16Ω impedance.
- Speakers A & B: When connecting two pair of speakers, you can use loudspeakers with an 8Ω to 16Ω impedance. The same audio source signal will be output to both pair of speakers. When two pair of speakers are connected, both pair of speakers are always active (you can not switch A or B off).
- Speaker A/B Bi-Wire: When bi-wiring one set of speakers using both A & B speaker terminals, you can use loudspeakers with a 4Ω to 16Ω impedance
1/4" Headphone Jack: The Denon PMA-1700NE is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone so you can enjoy your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones does not turn off the amplifier's speaker outputs automatically. You will need to manually turn of the speaker output when listening to headphones.
External Preamp Input: The PMA-A110 provides external stereo preamp input terminals (with fixed gain) that can be used for connecting an external preamp and using the PMA-1700NE as a power amp. This is convenient when connecting an AV amp via its pre-outs, so that the listening space with the same front speakers can be used as a home theater.
High-Precision Electrical Controls: The Denon PMA-1700NE utilizes electrical volume, balance, and tone controls while preserving the analog feel of operation. This unique mechanism and design offers smooth, linear control.
- Tone Controls: The Denon PMA-1700NE offers Bass, Treble, & Balance control. Bass (100Hz) and Treble (10kHz) can be adjusted from -8dB to +8dB. The Balance knob allows you to adjust the volume output from the left and right speakers. The Bass, Treble, and Balance control knobs are found on the unit's front-panel only (not on remote).
- Analog Mode: During analog audio playback, the Analog Mode can be used to turn off power to the dedicated digital power source and completely stop operation of the digital input circuitry to avoid any high frequency influence to the analog section. Analog Mode also turns off the fluorescent display, allowing the PMA-1700NE to operate as a purely analog amp. During Analog Mode, USB-B, coaxial digital, and optical digital inputs are all disabled.
- Source Direct: When Source Direct is activated, the audio signal does not pass through the tone adjustment circuitry (Bass/Treble/Balance), resulting in playback of higher sound quality.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control can be used to operate not only PMA-1700NE integrated amplifier, but Denon CD players and network audio players as well. The remote provides Power, Input, and Volume control for the integrated amplifier; as well as playback control for select Denon CD players and network audio players. In addition, there is a 3.5mm IR Control input and output for connecting Denon CD players and network audio players with an IR controller.
Front-Panel LCD: The Denon integrated amplifier's front-panel low noise FL display indicates source and sample rate. The display does not provide song/artist/album information. The brightness of the display can be adjusted to one of 4 levels.
Auto Standby: When there is no input signal and no operation for approximately 30 minutes, this unit automatically enters Standby mode to conserve power and energy.
Protection Circuitry: This is a function to prevent damage to devices within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over temperature occurs for any reason.
5 questions already asked