About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S
A go-anywhere lens that shines
There may not be a more versatile lens than a 50mm prime. And Nikon's NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is one of the best around. Pair it with a Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless camera, and enjoy exceptional performance for both photography and videography.
This lens is ideal for portraiture, events, landscapes, indoor photography, and more. With an ultra-wide f/1.2 maximum aperture, you can capture stunning photos and videos with razor-sharp detail and beautifully blurred backgrounds.
Premium construction for long-term ownership
When I invest in a new lens, I'm buying for the long haul. Build quality matters a great deal to me, and the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S has it in spades. It's dust- and water-resistant, so you can use it outdoors with confidence.
Advanced design technologies, like Nikon's Super Integrated Coating and anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat, ensure the glass elements perform at a high level and hold up over time. You'll be able to capture rich, vibrant images for years.
- 50mm prime lens for Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 75mm effective focal length with APS-C (DX-format) cameras
- ideal for portraiture, events, landscapes, indoor photography, and more
- f/1.2 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance
- nearly silent autofocus make it ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
- built-in info panel lets you quickly confirm focus distance, aperture, and more
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- ARNEO Coat works with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- lens construction: 17 elements in 15 groups
- 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 3 aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- dual stepping motors (STM) for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: 1.48'
- filter/attachment size: 82mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens case
- lens is 3-5/8" in diameter and 6" long
- weight: 38.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 20095
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S (#20095) lens
- LC-82B Lens Cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-94 Lens Hood
- CL-C2 Lens Case
- User's Manual
- Warranty Sheet
Customer reviews for Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S
Overview: The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is a new prime lens for Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless full-frame (FX-format) cameras. Its 50mm focal length is similar to what the human eye sees, making it ideal for a wide variety of still image and movie applications. When used on a DX-format camera with an APS-C image sensor, the lens provides an equivalent focal length of 75mm. The lens comes with a lens hood and a soft storage pouch.
S-Line Lenses: Nikon's S-Line of lenses adhere to standards in design principles and quality control that are even stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. S-Line lenses are known for high resolution, beautiful bokeh, superb point-image reproduction, chromatic aberration correction and ghost/flare reduction.
9-blade Rounded Diaphragm: The NIKKOR Z 50mm lens features a very fast f/1.2 aperture. Its extremely shallow depth-of-field, combined with the 9-blade rounded diaphragm can produce stunning out-of-focus background elements (bokeh) in your photographs.
Display Panel: The lens features a handy info display panel that lights up when the camera is turned on. You can choose between showing the aperture setting, or focus distance/depth of field by pressing the Display button. The distance units can be expressed in meters or feet, and you can control the brightness of the display in 6 levels using the control ring. The panel turns off automatically if no lens operations are performed for about 10 seconds, or the camera standby timer expires. To reactivate the display, simply press the Display button.
Weather Sealed: The lens is durable and lightweight, and is extensively sealed against dust and water, particularly around all moving parts.
Control Ring: The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S features a control ring that rotates for adjusting settings such as aperture or exposure compensation, assigned by the camera.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the petal-shaped HB-94 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens.
Nikon Technologies: The lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Stepping Motor (STM): The lens uses a stepping motor to give you fast, quiet autofocusing. This makes it ideal to use when shooting video.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: ED glass elements are used to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Aspherical Lens: Aspherical lens elements have curved, non-spherical surfaces, which reduce aberrations, and allow lighter, and more compact lens sizes. They correct distortion in wide-angle lenses.
- Nano Crystal Coat: Developed by Nikon, the anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat eliminates ghosting and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally, particularly red light.
- ARNEO Coat: In conjuction with the Nano Crystal Coat, this anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon further reduces flare and ghosting caused by light entering the lens vertically.
- Internal Focus (IF): When focusing, only the internal lens groups move, meaning the lens length does not change.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism gives you accurate diaphragm and aperture blade control when using auto exposure, particularly during continuous shooting.
- Super Integrated Coating: The optical elements in NIKKOR lenses have a multi-layer coating.
- Focal Length: 50mm (75mm on DX-format camera)
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: FX (full-frame)
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.2
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 15 groups (including 2 ED elements, 3 aspherical elements, and elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO Coats
- Angle of View:
- FX Format: 47°
- DX Format: 31° 30'
- Focusing System: Internal focusing system
- Minimum Focus Distance: 17.76" (1.48')
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.15x
- Diaphragm: 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Dimensions: 3.6" diameter, 6" length
- Weight: 38.5 ounces