About the Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S
Capture stunning images near and far
Capture stunning images near and far
Nikon's Z Series primes are renowned for their superb low-light performance and quick, ultra-sharp focusing. The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is the latest addition to this esteemed lineup, offering exceptional image quality for photographers and videographers alike.
Pair this medium telephoto macro lens with your Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless camera for gorgeous portraits from a distance, plus detailed macro shots of up-close subjects. Built-in image stabilization helps ensure sharp stills and smooth video footage.
- lens type: Z-mount medium telephoto macro
- compatible with Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
- ideal for portrait, event, sports, and macro photography
- 1:1 magnification for capturing ultra-detailed shots of up-close subjects
- f/2.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses
- stepping motor design (STM) for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
Adjustment and control:
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation
- built-in info panel lets you quickly confirm focus distance, aperture, and more
Design and construction:
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
- 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 1 aspherical lens element provides clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- ARNEO Coat works with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- minimum focus distance: .96'
- filter/attachment size: 62mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens case
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 3-3/8" in diameter and 5-11/16" long
- weight: 22.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 20100
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S lens
- LC-62B Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-99 Lens hood
- CL-C2 soft lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Customer reviews for Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S
Overview: The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is a new prime macro lens for Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless full-frame (FX-format) cameras. When used on a DX-format camera with an APS-C image sensor, the equivalent focal length is 158mm. This mid telephoto lens is ideal for a wide variety of still image and movie applications. This macro lens lets you shoot as close as 11.52". The lens comes with a lens hood and a soft storage pouch.
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect the newly established standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
Lens Info Panel: The Lens Info Panel illuminates when the lens is attached to a camera, and the camera is powered on. As you press the lens display button, you can cycle the display from focus distance, to reproduction ratio, to aperture. You can set the distance units to feet or meters, and adjust the brightness from 6 available levels.
9-blade Rounded Diaphragm: The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm lens features a 9-blade rounded diaphragm that can produce stunning out-of-focus background elements (bokeh) in your photographs.
Vibration Reduction: The lens supports Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) when attached to a compatible Z-series mirrorless camera. When VR is activated (in the camera menu), you can take advantage of shutter speeds up to 4.5 stops slower than would otherwise be the case without VR. This allows you to shoot at greater focus distances without the use of a tripod. The effectiveness of Vibration Reduction diminishes as the focus distance drops. VR should be turned off when the camera is mounted to a tripod or monopod.
Focus Range Limiter: The Focus Limit Switch on the side of the lens lets you limit autofocus to distances between 0.29m (0.96 feet) and 0.5m (1.64 feet). This allows you to focus faster when shooting closeups, or at any other time your subject will be no more than 20" away. The switch has two positions: Full (0.29m-∞) and 0.29m-0.5m.
Adjusting Aperture: The aperture of the lens varies with the focus distance. When the focus distance is infinity, the aperture ranges from f/2.8 to f/32. At the closest focus distance of 0.29m (0.96 feet), the aperture range is f/4.5 to f/51.
Reproduction Ratio: You can take photos at a selected Reproduction Ratio, such as 1:1 (life-size) or 1:2 (half life-size). On the Lens Info Panel, you can see the displayed reproduction ratio change as you rotate the focusing ring. When the desired reproduction ratio is displayed, you should then move the camera forward or back until the image is in focus.
Weather Sealed: The lens is durable and lightweight, and is extensively sealed against dust and water, particularly around all moving parts.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-99 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a locking bayonet-style mount. To remove the lens hood, you'll need to press the lock release button in before rotating the hood. When the hood is attached, it adds approximately 3" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the lens hood reverse-mounts to the lens for convenient storage.
Nikon Technologies: The lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Vibration Reduction: VR improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake.
- Aspherical Lens: Aspherical lens elements have curved, non-spherical surfaces, which reduce aberrations, and allow lighter, and more compact lens sizes. They correct distortion in wide-angle lenses.
- Stepping Motor (STM): The lens uses a stepping motor to give you fast, quiet autofocusing. This makes it ideal to use when shooting video.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: ED glass elements are used to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Internal Focus System: As you change the focus, only the internal lens group shifts. IF lenses do not change in size during AF operation.
- Nano Crystal Coat: The Nano Crystal Coat is an anti-reflecting coating that eliminates internal lens reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. The coating reduces ghosting and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- ARNEO Coat: The ARNEO Coat is similar to the Nano Crystal Coat for reducing ghosting and flare caused by light entering the lens vertically.
- Fluorine Coat: Nikon's fluorine coat helps repel dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt from adhering to the lens surface. The coating can withstand lots of lens surface wiping.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism gives you accurate diaphragm and aperture blade control when using auto exposure, particularly during continuous shooting.
- Focal Length: 105mm (158mm on DX-format camera)
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: FX (full-frame)
- Aperture Range:
- At a focus distance of infinity: f/2.8 to f/32
- At a focus distance of 0.29m (0.96 feet): f/4.5 to f/51
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 1 groups (including 3 ED elements, 1 aspherical element, and elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coats, and a fluorine-coated front lens element)
- Angle of View:
- FX Format: 23° 10'
- DX Format:15° 20'
- Focusing System: Internal focusing system
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11.52" (0.96')
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 1x
- Diaphragm: 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Diameter: 63mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.343", Length 5.674" (6.264" with caps)
- Weight: 22.3 ounces