About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S
Lightweight super-telphoto prime lens
Lightweight super-telphoto prime lens
The powerful, lightweight Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S super-telephoto lens makes it easier to get sharp, vivid images from far away.
Nikon continues to make getting extreme close-ups from a distance easier and more affordable than ever. Pair the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S super-telephoto prime lens with your Nikon Z Series mirrorless camera for spectacular, sharply detailed shots from a remote vantage point.
It's great for unobtrusively homing in on wildlife in natural environments — like birds in the trees, in the water, or on the wing. It's equally adept at capturing action on athletic fields of play or the fine details of aircraft in flight. And it's light enough to carry with you all day long.
Enjoy exceptional image and build quality
If you own a Z Series camera, you probably know something about to the company's exceptional lineup of interchangeable Z-mount lenses.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S complements the other high-end glass in Nikon's upper-echelon S Line, offering superb image and build quality. You'll enjoy razor-sharp focus, vibrant, punchy colors, and beautiful out-of-focus elements.
Light and agile
This lens only weighs in at around 41 ounces — less than half the weight of its brighter sibling, the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S. That makes it much more manageable for a day of shooting in the field than most lenses of its size and quality.
Extend your reach
You can get from 1.4x to 2x more magnification if you use one of Nikon's Z Teleconverters. You'll lose one or two f/stops when you use a teleconverter, but you'll be that much closer to your subjects.
And when you switch your shooting area to DX Crop mode, you can get an angle of view equivalent to 600mm with the lens alone and up to 800mm with a teleconverter.
- 400mm super telephoto prime lens for Nikon Z Series mirrorless cameras
- DX Crop mode gives you 600mm with the lens alone and up to 800mm with a teleconverter (sold separately)
- ideal for sports, event, wildlife, and aviation photography
- fixed f/4.5 maximum aperture allows smooth background blur
- compatible with Nikon Z teleconverters for even greater reach
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses
- Stepping Motor (STM) ensures fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video
- customizable control ring and L-Fn/L-Fn2 buttons can be set to recall focus position and other frequently used settings
Design and construction:
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- Nikon's nano crystal coat reduces ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- lens construction: 19 elements in 13 groups including:
- 1 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 2 Super ED lens elements reduce chromatic aberration
- 1 Short-wavelength Refractive (SR) element for reducing color fringing and coma
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- filter size: 95mm
Dimensions and warranty:
- diameter: 4-1/8"
- length: 9-1/2"
- weight: 2 lbs. 2 oz. (w/tripod collar)
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 20112
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S super-telephoto lens
- LC-95B Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-105 Lens hood
- CL-C5 Soft lens case
Customer reviews for Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S
Overview: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S lens is a super telephoto prime lens that is ideal for photographing birds and wildlife, sporting events, aircraft, and more. The lens is much more lightweight than the NIKKOR Z 400 mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens, weighing in at 2 pounds 12 ounces, compared to 6-1/2 pounds. At just over 9" long, it is much smaller as well (15"), making it easier to carry and handle in the field. The lens includes Vibration Reduction to reduce blur when focusing on distant subjects. The lens comes with an detachable tripod collar, lens hood, and a soft lens case.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon Z-series mirrorless FX-format (full frame) cameras with the Nikon Z mount, but it is also compatible with Nikon's mirrorless DX-format cameras. On a full-frame camera, the lens has a focal length of 400mm. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the Z 50 or Z fc, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 600mm.
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Auto-Priority Manual Mode (A/M): This mode enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation. The mode switch sensitivity has been altered to reduce the possibility of sudden unintentional switching to manual focus while shooting.
- Stepping Motor (STM): The NIKKOR Z lens uses a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocus. The stepping motor works in silence, making it ideal for use when shooting video.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to use shutter speeds that are 5.5 stops slower than normal, when attached to a full frame camera. With cameras that support Synchro VR, such as the Z9, the effect increases to 6 stops. The VR switch can be set to Normal (for stationary subjects) or Sport (for photographing athletes or other moving subjects). You can also turn off VR, if desired.
- Short-Wavelength Refractive Lens (SR): This lens refracts light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light, the lens can achieve highly precise chromatic aberration compensation to provide more accurate colors in your images. The high- and specialized-dispersion glass also allows for compact, lighter lenses to be designed.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations. Super ED glass goes even further in minimizing chromatic and other lens aberrations.
- Super ED Glass: Nikon's Super ED glass has even lower dispersion properties to further minimize chromatic aberrations, and other lens aberrations.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: The electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism provides very accurate aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Fluorine Coat: When shooting in harsh conditions, the Fluorine Coat on the outer lens surface effectively repels dust, dirt, water droplets, and grease, making them easy to remove. It is also effective in resisting fingerprints on the lens surface from accidental contact.
- Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat is anti-reflective and eliminates internal lens element reflection across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat stops ghosting effects and flare caused by red light, and reduces flare and ghosting from light entering the lens diagonally.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 19 elements in 13 groups, including 1 ED element, 2 Super-ED elements, 1 SR element, elements with a Nano Crystal coat, and a fluorine-coated front lens element.
Filter Diameter: The NIKKOR Z 400mm lens features a screw-in filter thread that accommodates 95mm filters.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the HB-105 lens hood to block stray light that would otherwise cause flare or ghosting. The hood also protects the front element of the lens from weather and accidental impacts. The front of the lens has a hood mounting mark for matching the mounting mark on the lens hood for installing the hood on the front of the lens. When mounted, the HB-105 adds approximately 3-3/8" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the hood can be reverse mounted on the lens for storage.
Focus Ring: The widest of the lens rings is the focus ring. It is primarily used during manual focus. When focusing using Autofocus, you can manually adjust the focus by rotating the focus ring while the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
Control Ring: The smooth operating Control Ring gives you quick access to several functions, including precise manual focusing, aperture control, exposure compensation, or ISO sensitivity. The functionality is customizable in the menu of the attached Z-series camera. The ring rotates in silence, which is ideal for shooting video.
Memory Recall: You can set and save a frequently-used focus position for later quick recall. When the focus position is set to the desired position, you can save that position by pressing the Memory Set button to store it in the lens. To recall the last-saved focus position, press the control to which "Recall Focus Position" is assigned. The stored distance is not reset when you turn the camera off, but does reset when you detach the lens from the camera. Cameras compatible with the Memory Recall feature include the Z9, Z7II, Z6II, and Z30.
Controls: The lens features the following on-board controls:
- Focus-mode Switch: The two-way Focus-mode switch lets you choose between Autofocus (A) and Manual focus (M). If Manual Focus is selected using camera controls, focus must be adjusted manually, regardless of the A-M setting on the lens.
- Focus Limit Switch: The Focus Limit Switch lets you choose the autofocus range. Choosing "Full" lets you choose to focus on subjects between 8.21' (2.5 meters) and infinity (∞) -- the full focusing range of the lens. For faster focusing of subjects beyond 6 meters (19.69 feet), you can select "∞ - 6m" which limits focus to longer distances.
- L-Fn Button: Using the camera, you can assign a function to the lens' L-Fn button. Pressing the L-Fn button on the barrel of the lens, activates/deactivates the set function.
- L-FN2 Buttons: Like the L-Fn button, the four L-Fn2 buttons, located beyond the focus ring, you can press the button to perform a function assigned to it using the camera.
Security Slot: The lens is equipped with a Kensington security slot for attaching a third-party anti-theft cable.
Tripod Collar: The lens has an attached tripod collar for mounting the lens and camera. This provides much better balance, and takes pressure off of the camera's tripod socket. The tripod collar can be rotated to smoothly and easily switch between wide ("landscape") and tall ("portrait") orientations. There are index markings every 90° to use as a guide. The tripod collar's mounting foot can be removed from the tripod collar ring when you want to shoot handheld.
- Type of Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Focal Length: 400mm (FX-format); 600mm (DX-format)
- Filter Diameter: 95mm screw-on type
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.16x
- Lens Construction: 19 elements in 13 groups
- Minimum Focus Distance: 8.21 feet (2.5 meters)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade opening
- Aperture Range: f/4.5 - f/32
- Angle of View:
- FX-format cameras: 6° 10'
- DX-format cameras: 4°
- Dimensions: Diameter 4.09", Length 9.438" (10" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 2 pounds 12 ounces (with tripod collar)