About the Cobra 29 LX MAX
A CB for right now
A CB for right now
Back in the days before smartphones, CB radios were the best way to stay in touch and informed behind the wheel. Everyone — not just truckers — seemed to have a CB under the dash and people used them for everything from speed-trap spotting to emergency communications to restaurant reviews. If there's an app for that now, there probably was a CB-er doing the same basic thing back then.
CBs may have faded out of popular culture, but they never went away. And now they're better than ever. This Cobra CB lets you enjoy the functionality of a Bluetooth® enabled smartphone along with the benefits of a professional-grade CB Radio.
Reliable, legal, and safe
If you're a professional driver, you know that taking your hands off the wheel can mean taking a risk with your rig and your load. Cobra's 29 LX MAX lets you communicate safely, easily, and legally. You can use Bluetooth to connect your smartphone to the CB, so you can make and take calls and text messages with your eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel.
Know what you're driving into
If you have a Cobra radar detector, Cobra's integrated iRadar® app will keep you up to date on what's ahead on the highway through your CB's headset (not included). You can get (and report) updates on law enforcement activity, speed traps, road hazards, red-light cameras, and more. Driving smarter means driving safer, and this app can really help.
Say it again
This CB also features Cobra's Rewind-Say-Again® function, which lets you replay the last 10 seconds of a signal communication or record a personal memo to play back later.
Built-in weather band
Changing weather can be a real challenge on long hauls, but the 29 LX MAX is there for you with 10 channels of NOAA weather warnings. You'll know what you're driving into, so you'll be ready when you get there.
- CB radio
- 40 CB channels
- 10-channel NOAA® weather band
- emergency channels
- works with your Bluetooth®-enabled smartphone
- send and receive calls and text messages hands-free.
- stay up to date with the iRadar® app
- 10-second rewind plays back last transmission
- record option for 10-second memos
- Nightwatch® illumination and 4-color LCD display
- dimensions: 2-1/4"H x 7-1/4"W x 9-1/4"L
- weight: 5.60 lbs.
- antenna required (not included)
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # 29LXMAX
What's in the box:
- CB radio
- Mounting bracket
- 2 Thumbscrews (installed in radio)
- Microphone with attached 27" coiled cable
- 60" Power cable with in-line 2A fuse (3-pin plug on one end and bare wires on the other end)
- Microphone bracket
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- 4 External star lock washers
- Two M3 x 5mm screws
- 2 Internal star lock washers
- External microphone with attached 117" cord (right-angled 2.5mm sub-mini plug)
- 5 Adhesive-backed cable clips
- Microphone visor clip
- Operating Instructions
- Plain English Rules - Citizens Band Radio Services
- Quick Weather Radio Instructions
- Product Registration card
Customer reviews for Cobra 29 LX MAX
Average review:3.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cobra 29 LX MAX
Overview: The Cobra 29 LX MAX is a Citizens Band (CB) radio with Bluetooth-enabled smartphone features, making it ideal for the professional driver. After pairing your smartphone, you can make and receive hands-free phone calls and text messages, and integrate the CB radio with the Cobra iRadar app for live notifications from other iRadar users, as well as report the same on the CB radio. The unit has 40 CB channels, plus an Emergency Channel, and 10 National Weather Channels. The 29 LX MAX features a selectable, 4-color LCD display, and includes a microphone with a coiled cord that connects to the front of the radio, an external microphone with a visor clip, and a mounting bracket. The 29 LX MAX does NOT include an antenna.
Bluetooth: The 29 LX MAX features Dual Point Bluetooth wireless technology that lets you pair up to two cell phones at the same time, although only one phone can be used at a time. You can make and receive phone calls and text messages without touching your phone. During phone calls, all CB functions are disabled until the call is put on hold or terminated.
iRadar® App: In addition to smartphone functions, the 29 LX MAX's Bluetooth connection gives you access to Cobra's award-winning iRadar® app, the community-based radar, laser, and camera detection system. You can receive alerts in real time from millions or other iRadar users, plus you can share your alerts as well. You get warnings of upcoming speed cameras, red light cameras, known speed traps, and dangerous intersections from other iRadar users or through Defender®, the industry's largest database of red light, speed, and mobile cameras. The iRadar app is compatible with Apple iPhones and iPads running iOS 11.0 or later, and Android devices running version 5.0 and up.
Rewind-Say-Again®: The 29 LX MAX lets you play back the last transmission received over the airwaves. Rewind-Say-Again also lets you record a 10-second memo for those occasions you can't get to a pen and paper.
CB Channels: The 29 LX MAX is a full-powered, 40-channel Class D station in the Citizens Band Radio Service. With advanced Phase Lock Loop (PLL) circuitry, you can tune all 40 CB channels and 10 Weather Channels. You can select a channel using the rotary dial on the front of the unit. The display shows a large 2-digit readout right above the channel selector knob, along with a signal strength bar graph.
Scanning Channels: The 29 LX MAX lets you scan all 40 CB channels with a single press of the Scan button. You can set up to 10 channels into Memory, and scan only the saved channels.
Weather Channels: Local weather reports from NOAA (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration) are provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. About 500 NOAA radio stations are operated nationwide, reaching approximately 90% of the U.S. population. In addition to the 40 CB channels, the 29 LX MAX has 10 National Weather Channels, 7 from NOAA, and 3 Canadian channels.
Emergency Channels: The 29 LX MAX has dedicated channels set aside for Emergency Messages. Channel 9 (27.065 MHz) can be used to transmit emergency messages (weather warnings, auto accident, fire, or personal emergencies). It can also be used for monitoring emergency situations. Channel 19 (27.185 MHz) is an information channel. A dedicated CH9/19 button is provided to instantly tune in to Channel 9. If there's no response on Channel 9, you can press the CH9/19 button to switch to channel 19.
Antenna: The radio does NOT include an antenna. Since the power output of the radio is limited by the FCC, a properly matched antenna system is crucial for maximum power output. A Dual Band (Center Load / Base Load) antenna is recommended. A standard SO-239 antenna connection is provided on the rear of the radio.
External Speaker Option: The 29 LX MAX Connector Box has a 3.5mm audio output for connecting to an optional external speaker. The external speaker should be able to handle at least 4 watts, and have an impedance of 4 to 8Ω.
Controls: The 29 LX MAX has the following controls on the front panel:
- Volume/Squelch: Dual rotary control -- inner ring power/volume, outer ring squelch
- RF Gain: Rotary control to optimize reception in strong or weak signal areas
- Menu: Rotary control to change channels, and to maneuver through the 5 levels of the menu system. Press the knob to select the highlighted menu selection.
- Dynamike®: Rotary control to control the sensitivity of the front microphone for the best sounding outgoing audio level.
- Delta Tune: A rotary fine tuning control to help with optimum tuning.
- SWR Calibration: SWR (Standing Wave Radio) calibration is done to properly adjust the length of the antenna, and to monitor the quality of the coaxial cable and all RF connections. SWR Calibration is the outer ring of a dual rotary control.
- Talkback: Rotary control (inner ring) to adjust the desired amount of modulation talkback present at the speaker during the transmission.
- NB/ANL/Off: Push button that cycles through the Automatic Noise Limiter (ANL), RF Noise Blanker (NB) added to ANL, or Off
- CB/WX: Push button for switching between CB and Weather channel bands.
- Scan/Mem Scan: Push button for setting up to 10 channels to memory. After channels are set to memory, you can scan only saved channels, or All Channels.
- Dimmer Control: Push button to toggle between day and night settings.
- CH 9/19: Push button for instantly tuning to Emergency Channel 9, and toggling between channels 9 and 19.
Connections: The 29 LX MAX has the following connections:
- Microphone (Front): Round 6-pin connector
- Microphone (Rear): 2.5mm sub-minijack
- External PTT: 3.5mm for optional Push-to-Talk switch
- External Speaker Output: 3.5mm for optional External Speaker
- Antenna Connector: standard SO-239 jack
- Power/Ground: proprietary 3-pin connector
- CB Channels: 40 channels
- Frequency Range: 26.965 to 27.405 MHz
- Weather Channels: 10 channels
- Frequency Range: 162.400 to 163.775 MHz
- Frequency Control: Phase Lock Loop Synthesizer
- Frequency Tolerance: 0.005%
- RF Output Power: 4 watts
- Frequency Response: 300Hz to 3000Hz (-6dB)
- Input Voltage: 13.2 volts DC (nominal), negative ground
- Operating Temperature Range: -22°F to 122°F (-30°C to +50°C)
- Dimensions: Width 7.687", Height 2.483", Depth 9.929"
- Weight: 3.57 pounds (chassis)
2 questions already asked