About the Focal Kanta Center
A high-performance Kanta center channel
The Focal Kanta Center is voice-matched to deliver clear dialogue, sound effects, and music to a surround-sound system featuring Kanta floor-standing and bookshelf speakers.
A high-performance Kanta center channel
The Focal Kanta Center is a crucial piece if you're building a premium home theater system around the company's excellent line of Kanta speakers. Its dual 6-1/2" flax midranges and 1-1/16" Beryllium tweeter deliver clear dialogue, engaging sound effects, and thrilling music as part of a surround sound system. And it comes in multiple gorgeous finishes to match your home decor, and your other speakers.
Placing the speaker on Focal's matching Kanta center stand (sold separately) brings the speaker up to ideal listening height, dampens vibration, and helps optimize the speaker's acoustic properties.
Brilliantly designed drivers
Focal outfitted their Kanta speaker lineup with a combination of their signature flax woofer cones and a Beryllium tweeter. The unique pairing allows the Center to deliver dialogue, effects, and music with a high degree of precision without sacrificing warmth.
The IAL3 Beryllium tweeter combines features from Focal's IAL (Infinite Acoustic Loading) and IHL (Infinite Horn Loading) tweeters, with the goal of eliminating all audible distortion. And the tweeter's inverted dome design improves off-axis performance, for a wider 'sweet spot'.
The woofer uses a carefully designed TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) suspension to control motion in the cone's surround and an NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor to stabilize the magnetic field for natural, uncolored midrange and precise bass.
A gorgeous, vibration-damping cabinet
Rather than the usual MDF (medium-density fiberboard), the front baffle of the Kanta Center is molded out of a single piece of polymer for a higher degree of density, stiffness, and damping, and it's shaped to eliminate sound diffraction. The cabinet itself is crafted from a molded wood material that's rigid and vibration-resistant. A rear-firing Powerflow port helps deliver deep, uncompressed bass. Choose the look you want from a range of gorgeous color and finish combinations.
Build a Kanta surround sound system
Combine the Kanta Center with other speakers in the Kanta lineup to create a voice-matched home theater system:
You can also substitute slightly smaller Focal Kanta No.2 floor-standing speakers for the No.3s, if they suit your room better.
- 2-way design
- dual 6-1/2" flax cone woofers with TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) suspension and NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor for precise, detailed midrange and bass
- 1-1/16" IAL3 Beryllium tweeter for extremely accurate high frequencies
- frequency response: 55-44,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 40-200 watts
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sonically neutral multi-ply molded wood cabinet
- bass-reflex design with rear-firing port
- molded high-density polymer front baffle for enhanced sound definition
- high-quality binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, spade connectors, and banana connectors
- removable magnetic cloth grilles
- designed and built in France
Dimensions and warranty:
- 22-1/8"W x 9-11/16"H x 15-1/2"D
- weight: 39.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # JMLKANTACC-BHG/DB
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 2 Grilles
- 4 Slicone pads
- User Manual
Customer reviews for Focal Kanta Center
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal Kanta Center
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||55-44k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Driver Design: The Focal Kanta Center loudspeaker features a 2-way driver design that combines a Beryllium dome tweeter with two Flax sandwich cone woofers that give your music and movie soundtracks warmth, depth, detail, and clarity.
IAL3 Beryllium Tweeter: The Kanta Center houses a new 1.1" pure Beryllium dome tweeter for the high frequency and treble register, up to 40kHz. The 1.1" Beryllium tweeter features an incredibly light and extremely rigid dome that offers a linear frequency response curve, acoustic transparency, and fast transient response. This new IAL3 Beryllium tweeter combines IAL (Infinite Acoustic Loading) and IHL (Infinite Horn Loading) tweeter technologies, both of which help with the absorption of waves, thus lowering the tweeter frequency and eliminating distortion.
- The rear of the Beryllium tweeter is loaded via a small cavity which is connected to the exterior of the enclosure by a horn. The inside of the horn is filled with a damping material. Thus, sound waves from the rear of the tweeter are delicately and gradually absorbed. Its acoustic impedance approaches zero so that no resistance alters the movement of the dome - pushing high frequency definition to its maximum.
- The advantage of this setup is that it only slightly affects the cabinet's internal volume. Thus, Focal can get the most out of the woofer to enhance bass performance while having an ideally-positioned tweeter - all in a reasonably-sized cabinet. Moreover, it helps to isolate the tweeter from any interference from vibrations that could lead to distortion.
Dual 6.5" Flax Cone Woofers: The Focal Kanta Center benefits from Focal's Flax sandwich driver cone technology, making voices more intelligible with more depth. Flax is an eco-textile with astounding structural properties - it is light, stiff, and well damped for greater neutrality of timbres and better definition. The Kanta Center is composed of two 6.5" woofers with a Flax sandwich cone that provides natural midrange, rich bass, and high definition sound. This sandwich cone is made of high quality flax fiber enclosed by two thin layers of glass fiber. The lightness of the fiber satisfies the criteria of high internal damping, high velocity, and high flexural rigidity. Flax is twice as light as fiberglass, because the fiber is hollow. It also has very low elasticity which makes it ideal to increase the flexural rigidity of a sandwich structure.
- TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) Suspension: Focal's Tuned Mass Damper (TMD) suspension system stabilize the dynamic behavior of the woofer's surround according to resonance, thus avoiding deformation of the cone without negatively affecting the dynamics.
- NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) Motor: Focal's NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor system stabilizes the magnetic field for perfectly defined sound and better controlled bass.
High Density Cabinet: Even the Focal Kanta Center's speaker cabinet is designed to create acoustic softness and warmth for a sound that is very pleasing to the human ear. The sides, top, and bottom of the cabinet are constructed of multi-ply wood layers, while the front-baffle of the speaker cabinet is molded in one piece from HDP (high density polymer). This configuration of material creates a speaker enclosure that is dense, stiff, and well damped. The speaker cabinet's soft angles eliminate standing waves inside the enclosure that can lead to distortion, while the one-piece HDP front-panel eliminates any sound diffraction so you don't loose any of your sound.
- Power Flow Port Technology: The Kanta Center loudspeaker employs Focal's Power Flow technology with a rear-firing port for for greater efficiency and bigger, deeper bass performance with low distortion.
- Magnetic Grilles: Two cloth, magnetic grilles easily attach and detach from the speaker cabinet's front-baffle. The grilles cover the two woofers only. The tweeter has an integrated, non-removable metal grille.
Binding Post Terminals: The Focal Kanta Center speaker is equipped with a set of heavy-duty binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Two plastic inserts will need to be removed to use banana plugs.
Mounting & Placement Options: The center speaker must be positioned near the screen for realistic reproduction of dialog. It can be placed below or above the television. If a standard projection screen is used, the center speaker should be placed at the foot of the screen for best results. If a micro-perforated screen is used, it can be positioned behind the screen, towards the bottom half of the screen.
Note: The Kanta Center does not offer any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker.
Focal Kanta Series: Focal's Kanta Series offers an uncompromising design that is totally focused on acoustic performance, thanks to its newly designed IAL3 Beryllium dome tweeter, legendary Flax sandwich cone technology, and high density cabinet construction. The Kanta Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (N3 / N2), one bookshelf loudspeaker (N1), and a center-channel speaker (Center).
- Break-In Period: The speaker drivers used in the Kanta Series loudspeakers are complex mechanical components which require a certain time to adapt to operate at their best and to become acclimated to the temperature and humidity of the listening environment. This break-in period varies depending on the climate and may last a few weeks. To reduce the break-in period, Focal recommends operating the loudspeakers for approximately twenty consecutive hours. Once the loudspeakers' characteristics have totally stabilized, you will be able to enjoy the Kanta Series loudspeakers' performance fully.
- Made In France: The Kanta series of loudspeakers are developed and manufactured in France by Focal.