About the Focal Kanta™ No.1
A high-performance stand-mount speaker
We recommend placing the Focal Kanta No.1 speaker on Focal's matching stand (sold separately) for maximum performance.
A high-performance stand-mount speaker
The premium Focal Kanta™ No.1 stand-mount speaker packs a lot of performance into a visually striking — and relatively compact — cabinet. Its 6-1/2" flax woofer and 1-1/16" Beryllium tweeter deliver pinpoint imaging and an impressively wide soundstage. Use a pair for a compact (but mighty!) stereo setup, or as your front or surround speakers in a truly high-performance multi-channel surround sound system. And this speaker comes in multiple gorgeous finishes to match your home decor.
Placing the speaker on Focal's matching Kanta No.1 speaker stands (sold separately) brings the speaker up to ideal listening height, dampens vibration, and helps optimize the speaker's acoustic properties.
Brilliantly designed drivers
Focal outfitted their Kanta speaker lineup with a combination of their signature flax woofer cones and a Beryllium tweeter. The unique pairing allows the No.1 to deliver music with a high degree of clarity and precision without sacrificing warmth.
The IAL3 Beryllium tweeter combines features from Focal's IAL (Infinite Acoustic Loading) and IHL (Infinite Horn Loading) tweeters, with the goal of eliminating all audible distortion. And the tweeter's inverted dome design improves off-axis performance, for a wider 'sweet spot'.
The woofer uses a carefully designed TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) suspension to control motion in the cone's surround and an NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor to stabilize the magnetic field for natural, uncolored midrange and precise bass.
A gorgeous, vibration-damping cabinet
Rather than the usual MDF (medium-density fiberboard), the front baffle of the Kanta No.1 is molded out of a single piece of polymer for a higher degree of density, stiffness, and damping, and it's shaped to eliminate sound diffraction. The cabinet itself is crafted from a molded wood material that's rigid and vibration-resistant. A rear-firing Powerflow port helps deliver deep, uncompressed bass. Choose the look you want from a range of gorgeous color and finish combinations.
My hands-on experience with the Focal Kanta No.1
Unboxing new audio gear is always a thrilling experience. But I felt a little extra frisson of excitement when I received a shipment of a pair of Focal Kanta No.1 speakers — they come directly from Focal's HQ in France, and they were some of the earliest samples of the updated series. I was thrilled to be one of the first people on U.S. soil to get a chance to listen to them. I mounted them on the matching custom stands and hooked them up to a Naim Uniti Atom integrated amplifier, then spent a glorious week putting them through their paces.
I tested the speakers with an eclectic mixture of music from a variety of formats: CDs, vinyl, and high-res streaming. My first impression was that the Kanta No.1s are very relaxed, balanced, and detailed. During the third song I listened to — a fluid track by legendary jazz bassist Jaco Pastorius — I felt compelled to remove the included bass plugs, and they never went back in. The speakers were agile enough to reproduce the low notes in everything from classical to hip hop with impressive fidelity and not a hint of bloat or boominess.
I've listened to a lot of great speakers in my time here at Crutchfield, and I try to choose meaningful descriptions for each. The word that came to mind when listening to these speakers was “harmonious.” Every part works so well that the speakers essentially disappear, leaving a clean, integrated sound field that delivers the unfiltered emotional impact of the music. I can't think of a more meaningful and important thing for a superb set of speakers to do.
Build a Kanta surround sound system
These speakers are an excellent choice for a two-channel system, but they're also compatible with other Kanta speakers that can be used to create a voice-matched home theater system:
- a Focal Kanta Center brings dialogue to the forefront, and enriches music and sound effects
- Focal Kanta No.3 floor-standing speakers can serve as the front left and right speakers in a powerful home theater setup
Or you can choose to substitute slightly smaller Focal Kanta No.2 floor standing speakers for the No.3s, if they suit your room better.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- two-way design:
- 6-1/2" flax cone woofer with TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) suspension and NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor for precise, detailed midrange and bass
- 1-1/16" IAL3 Beryllium tweeter for extremely accurate high frequencies
- sonically neutral multi-ply molded wood cabinet
- molded high-density polymer front baffle for enhanced sound definition
- rear Powerflow port for extended bass response
- frequency response: 46-40,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- power handling: 25-150 watts
- removable magnetic cloth grille
- high-quality binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, spade connectors, and banana connectors
- designed and built in France
Dimensions and warranty:
- 9-1/4"W x 16-5/8"H x 15-7/16"D
- weight: 28.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JMLKANTN1-WAHG/DB
What's in the box:
Focal Kanta™ No.1 owner's manual
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- Port plug
- 4 Slicone pads
- User Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Focal Kanta™ No.1
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Frequency Response||46-40k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Driver Design: The Focal Kanta N1 bookshelf loudspeaker features a 2-way driver design that combines a Beryllium dome tweeter with Flax sandwich cone woofer that gives your music and movie soundtracks warmth, depth, and clarity.
IAL3 Beryllium Tweeter: The Kanta N1 houses a new 1.1" pure Beryllium dome tweeter for the high frequency and treble register, up to 40kHz. The 1.1" Beryllium tweeter features an incredibly light and extremely rigid dome that offers a linear frequency response curve, acoustic transparency, and fast transient response. This new IAL3 Beryllium tweeter combines IAL (Infinite Acoustic Loading) and IHL (Infinite Horn Loading) tweeter technologies, both of which help with the absorption of waves, thus lowering the tweeter frequency and eliminating distortion.
- The rear of the Beryllium tweeter is loaded via a small cavity which is connected to the exterior of the enclosure by a horn. The inside of the horn is filled with a damping material. Thus, sound waves from the rear of the tweeter are delicately and gradually absorbed. Its acoustic impedance approaches zero so that no resistance alters the movement of the dome - pushing high frequency definition to its maximum.
- The advantage of this setup is that it only slightly affects the cabinet's internal volume. Thus, Focal can get the most out of the woofer to enhance bass performance while having an ideally-positioned tweeter - all in a reasonably-sized cabinet. Moreover, it helps to isolate the tweeter from any interference from vibrations that could lead to distortion.
6.5" Flax Cone Woofer: The Focal Kanta N1 benefits from Focal's Flax sandwich driver cone technology, making voices more intelligible with more depth. Flax is an eco-textile with astounding structural properties - it is light, stiff, and well damped for greater neutrality of timbres and better definition. The Kanta N1 is composed of one 6.5" woofer with a Flax sandwich cone that provides natural midrange, rich bass, and high definition sound. This sandwich cone is made of high quality flax fiber enclosed by two thin layers of glass fiber. The lightness of the fiber satisfies the criteria of high internal damping, high velocity, and high flexural rigidity. Flax is twice as light as fiberglass, because the fiber is hollow. It also has very low elasticity which makes it ideal to increase the flexural rigidity of a sandwich structure.
- TMD (Tuned Mass Damping) Suspension: Focal's Tuned Mass Damper (TMD) suspension system stabilize the dynamic behavior of the woofer's surround according to resonance, thus avoiding deformation of the cone without negatively affecting the dynamics.
- NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) Motor: Focal's NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) motor system stabilizes the magnetic field for perfectly defined sound and better controlled bass.
High Density Cabinet: Even the Focal Kanta N1's speaker cabinet is designed to create acoustic softness and warmth for a sound that is very pleasing to the human ear. The sides, top, and bottom of the cabinet are constructed of multi-ply wood layers, while the front-baffle of the speaker cabinet is molded in one piece from HDP (high density polymer). This configuration of material creates a speaker enclosure that is dense, stiff, and well damped. The speaker cabinet's soft angles eliminate standing waves inside the enclosure that can lead to distortion, while the one-piece HDP front-panel eliminates any sound diffraction so you don't loose any of your sound.
- Power Flow Port Technology: The Kanta N1 bookshelf loudspeaker employs Focal's Power Flow technology with a rear-firing port for for greater efficiency and bigger, deeper bass performance with low distortion. A foam port plug is included if you have to position the speaker close to the wall and the bass becomes too "boomy" or exaggerated.
- Magnetic Grille: A cloth, magnetic grille easily attaches and detaches from the speaker cabinet's front-baffle. The grille covers the woofer only. The tweeter has an integrated, non-removable metal grille.
Binding Post Terminals: The Focal Kanta N1 bookshelf speaker is equipped with a set of heavy-duty binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Two plastic inserts will need to be removed to use banana plugs.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Focal Kanta N1 bookshelf speaker can be simply placed on a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, or table-top. The N1 bookshelf loudspeaker is perfect for rooms measuring less than 270 sq/ft. Follow these simple placement guidelines to optimize the N1's performance and to guarantee good tonal balance and a realistic sound stage.
- The loudspeakers should be positioned symmetrically, facing the listening area, ideally forming an equilateral triangle with it. However, these distances may be adjusted to find the ideal compromise according to the design of your rooms
- The loudspeakers should be positioned at the same height, in the same horizontal plane. Ideally, the tweeter should be positioned at the same height as the listener's ears in the usual listening position.
- Do not position the loudspeakers too close to a corner of the room and do not place them too close to a wall. This will induce some unwanted room resonance and artificially increase bass response. On the other hand, if the bass level is considered to be insufficient, you could try moving the loudspeakers nearer a wall to re-balance the bass level.
Note: The Kanta N1 does not offer any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker.
Focal Kanta Series: Focal's Kanta Series offers an uncompromising design that is totally focused on acoustic performance, thanks to its newly designed IAL3 Beryllium dome tweeter, legendary Flax sandwich cone technology, and high density cabinet construction. The Kanta Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (N3 / N2), one bookshelf loudspeaker (N1), and a center-channel speaker (Center).
- Break-In Period: The speaker drivers used in the Kanta Series loudspeakers are complex mechanical components which require a certain time to adapt to operate at their best and to become acclimated to the temperature and humidity of the listening environment. This break-in period varies depending on the climate and may last a few weeks. To reduce the break-in period, Focal recommends operating the loudspeakers for approximately twenty consecutive hours. Once the loudspeakers' characteristics have totally stabilized, you will be able to enjoy the Kanta Series loudspeakers' performance fully.
- Made In France: The Kanta series of loudspeakers are developed and manufactured in France by Focal.