About the Focal Theva No.1
Natural, detailed sound from a pair of compact speakers
Natural, detailed sound from a pair of compact speakers
The Focal Theva No.1 is a relatively compact speaker pair that delivers nuanced sound with precise bass. They incorporate innovative tech borrowed from some of Focal's pricier offerings. Each sleek cabinet houses a highly accurate 1" tweeter and a 6-1/2" woofer. The carefully designed drivers work together to produce robust sound that belies their small footprint. And these speakers come in three gorgeous finishes, so you can choose the one that best matches your decor.
Advanced driver array
The drivers in this pair of Theva No.1s are hand-built in France, using a unique design process and high-tech materials.
The woofers are made from proprietary Slatefiber, which uses recycled, non-woven carbon fibers as a filling sandwiched between two layers of thermoplastic polymer. It's a unique material that provides superior rigidity, damping, and lightness — the three “essentials” of a great speaker driver. Each cabinet features a rear-firing port for solid, agile bass.
The inverted dome tweeters are made from an aluminum/magnesium alloy for increased rigidity, reduced distortion, and wider dispersion. A finely tuned crossover network keeps the woofer and tweeter working in perfect harmony.
Consider using a speaker stand
We recommend placing the speakers on sturdy custom Theva No.1 speaker stands (sold separately) — they're subtly tilted to focus the soundstage toward the listener for better immersion.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- 2-way design
- precise 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome TNF tweeter
- 6-1/2" Slatefiber woofer for natural midrange and musical bass
- frequency response: 58-28,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- ported (bass-reflex) cabinet with rear-firing port
- binding posts accept pins, spade lugs, banana connectors, or bare wire
- removable magnetic cloth grille
- designed and built in France
Dimensions and warranty:
- 8-3/8"W x 15-3/8"H x 10-1/4"D
- weight: 15.43 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FTHEVAN1LW
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Focal Theva No.1
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Inverted Hard-Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon Fiber + Polymer|
|Frequency Response||58-28k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||22-24|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" Aluminum Magnesium TNF Tweeter: Made by Focal in France, the aluminum/magnesium TNF tweeter with inverted-dome delivers soft and precise treble that is easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. The main advantage of the inverted-dome design, apart from its very low directivity, lies in its use of a coil of small diameter (hence very light and better accelerating) directly fixed to the rigid dome for dynamic high frequency response. The Focal aluminum/magnesium TNF inverted-dome tweeter delivers an impressively stable soundstage for 2ch stereo music and multichannel home theater applications.
- Poron Suspension: The suspension between the dome and its bracket uses Poron, a material with shape memory. This suspension method is directly derived from the Focal's famous Utopia Beryllium tweeter, making it possible to reduce distortion by a factor of three in the 2-3kHz range, where the human ear has very great sensitivity.
- Optimized Waveguide: Focal further improved the very low directivity of the inverted dome tweeter by developing and incorporating a waveguide. In a horizontal plane, its frequency response has a variance of +/-0.5dB. This performance guarantees an incredibly stable soundstage which makes the listening position much less critical.
6.5" Slatefiber Cone Woofer: The Slatefiber cone (exclusive to Focal) is a composite cone technology that involves the use of recycled, non-woven carbon fibers applied as a sandwich between two layers of thermoplastic polymer. The combination of these two materials results in excellent acoustic performance, in terms of sound velocity as well as rigidity and damping. The Slatefiber cone is characterized by its dynamic, rich and ultra-balanced sound, particularly in the midrange. In their quest for perfection, Focal engineers have opted to use non-woven carbon fibers, all pointing in the same direction to achieve even greater rigidity, better damping but also lightness.
- Rigidity: The carbon fiber alone provides extraordinary rigidity. What's more, as they are all oriented in the same direction, these fibers further increase the speaker driver's rigidity, and therefore enable more bass to be achieved.
- Damping: The carbon fibers are aligned, but non-woven to ensure better damping. Thermoplastic polymer is also located within the fibers to provide the bond between them and increase damping.
- Lightness: In addition to rigidity and damping criteria, the Slatefiber cone is also lightweight. During the development phase, special attention was paid to the weight of the cone to optimize sensitivity. Hence, a combination of carbon fiber and thermoplastic polymer was chosen due to their lightweight qualities.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Theva N1 bookshelf speaker employs a bass-reflex enclosure with an aerodynamic front-firing port for greater efficiency, bigger bass response, and low distortion. The enclosure features rigid MDF construction with an additional front-panel for controlled resonance and impressive neutrality. An acoustic transparent cloth grille magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker.
Note: The speaker cabinet is available in a black, dark wood, or light wood finish.
Binding Post Terminals: The Focal Theva Series loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts inside the binding posts will need to be removed in order to use banana plugs.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Theva N1 bookshelf loudspeaker is designed to be mounted on a stand, shelf, tabletop, or other flat and sturdy mounting surface. Rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from your mounting surface and to protect your mounting surface (the feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker). The speakers can be used in a simple 2ch stereo music setup, as well as utilized as front and/or rear speakers in a home theater system.
- A pair of speakers should form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. You can "toe-in" (angle) the speakers toward the main listening position to improve stereo imaging and "sweet-spot".
- The optimum placement height for these bookshelf speakers should typically be set with the tweeters at about the same height as your ears when your are seated in your main listening position.
- Generally, the closer the loudspeakers are to the rear wall the more the bass frequencies will be reinforced. Move the speakers away from the back and side walls if bass becomes to "muddy" or "boomy".
Note: The Q Theva N1 does not include any bracket, keyhole-slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the speaker.
Focal Theva Series: Made in France in Focal's own workshop, the Theva Series delivers outstanding performance for both two-channel stereo and multichannel home theater applications. In addition to their Hi-Fi sound, the Theva Series boasts a sleek and elegant look that complements almost any room's decor. The Vocal Theva Series line-up consists of three floorstanding speakers (N2/N3/N3-D), one bookshelf speaker (N1), a center-channel speaker (Center), and an on-wall surround speaker (Surround).
Optional Powered Sub: For even bigger bass response, add a Focal powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Theva Series speakers.