About the Focal Theva Surround
On-wall surround speaker for a Focal Theva system
On-wall surround speaker for a Focal Theva system
If you're building a sweet-sounding home theater system with speakers from Focal's Theva line, this speaker will work perfectly for your side or rear surround channels. It features a 6-1/2" woofer and 1" tweeter in a sealed cabinet for rich, accurate music and sound effects. The entire perimeter of the cabinet is angled to deliver extremely wide dispersion, which is ideal for a surround speaker. A bracket is included for convenient, low-profile wall mounting.
Signature driver design
This on-wall speaker uses the same drivers found in other members of the Theva speaker family, so it's a perfect sonic match. Like its cousins, it features a Slatefiber woofer made of recycled carbon fibers. That makes these cones lighter, more responsive, and better at damping unwanted vibration.
The inverted dome tweeter is made from an aluminum/magnesium alloy for increased rigidity, reduced distortion, and wider dispersion. A finely tuned crossover network keeps the woofer and tweeter working in perfect harmony.
- 1" TNF aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" Slatefiber woofer
- low-profile, sealed on-wall cabinet
- mounting bracket included
- magnetic grille
- vinyl finish
- frequency response: 80-28,000 Hz
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12-1/2"W x 17-1/2"H x 4-1/2"D
- weight: 12.13 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # FTHEVASRBK
What's in the box:
- On-wall surround speaker
- Mounting bracket
- 4 Self-adhesive pads
- User Manual
- Focal brochure
Customer reviews for Focal Theva Surround
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal Theva Surround
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||No|
|Tweeter Type||Inverted Hard-Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||80-28k Hz|
|Height (inches)||17 1/2|
|Width (inches)||12 1/2|
|Depth (inches)||4 1/2|
|Bracket Included||Fixed bracket|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" Aluminum Magnesium TNF Tweeter: Made by Focal in France, the aluminum/magnesium TNF tweeter with inverted-dome delivers soft and precise treble that is easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. The main advantage of the inverted-dome design, apart from its very low directivity, lies in its use of a coil of small diameter (hence very light and better accelerating) directly fixed to the rigid dome for dynamic high frequency response. The Focal aluminum/magnesium TNF inverted-dome tweeter delivers an impressively stable soundstage for 2ch stereo music and multichannel home theater applications.
- Poron Suspension: The suspension between the dome and its bracket uses Poron, a material with shape memory. This suspension method is directly derived from the Focal's famous Utopia Beryllium tweeter, making it possible to reduce distortion by a factor of three in the 2-3kHz range, where the human ear has very great sensitivity.
- Optimized Waveguide: Focal further improved the very low directivity of the inverted dome tweeter by developing and incorporating a waveguide. In a horizontal plane, its frequency response has a variance of +/-0.5dB. This performance guarantees an incredibly stable soundstage which makes the listening position much less critical.
6.5" Slatefiber Cone Woofer: The Slatefiber cone (exclusive to Focal) is a composite cone technology that involves the use of recycled, non-woven carbon fibers applied as a sandwich between two layers of thermoplastic polymer. The combination of these two materials results in excellent acoustic performance, in terms of sound velocity as well as rigidity and damping. The Slatefiber cone is characterized by its dynamic, rich and ultra-balanced sound, particularly in the midrange. In their quest for perfection, Focal engineers have opted to use non-woven carbon fibers, all pointing in the same direction to achieve even greater rigidity, better damping but also lightness.
- Rigidity: The carbon fiber alone provides extraordinary rigidity. What's more, as they are all oriented in the same direction, these fibers further increase the speaker driver's rigidity, and therefore enable more bass to be achieved.
- Damping: The carbon fibers are aligned, but non-woven to ensure better damping. Thermoplastic polymer is also located within the fibers to provide the bond between them and increase damping.
- Lightness: In addition to rigidity and damping criteria, the Slatefiber cone is also lightweight. During the development phase, special attention was paid to the weight of the cone to optimize sensitivity. Hence, a combination of carbon fiber and thermoplastic polymer was chosen due to their lightweight qualities.
Acoustic Suspension Enclosure: The Focal Theva Surround employs an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure for tight and accurate bass response, as well as flexible placement options. The enclosure features rigid MDF construction with an additional front-panel for controlled resonance and impressive neutrality. An acoustic transparent cloth grille magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker.
Note: The speaker cabinet is only available in a black vinyl finish.
Binding Post Terminals: The Focal Theva Series loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG). Plastic inserts inside the binding posts will need to be removed in order to use banana plugs.
Note: The binding posts do not support banana plugs, pin-connectors, or spade-lugs due to the shape of the cabinet and mounting design of the speaker.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Focal Theva Surround speaker is designed to be wall-mounted using the included mounting bracket or integrated keyhole slot. The speaker mounts to the wall vertically (not horizontally). The included bracket is a fixed design and does not tilt or swivel. Four self-adhesive rubber pads are included that stick to the back of the speaker cabinet to protect your wall's surface and prevent any unwanted vibration. The Theva Surround speaker can be utilized as a Front, Center, Surround, and/or Surround Back loudspeaker in a multichannel home theater application. You can create and entire 5ch or 7ch speaker system using just Focal Theva Surround speakers (sold individually). The Theva Surround can even be used as on-wall speakers in a 2ch stereo music setup.
- Surround Channels: The Focal Theva Surround's main application is for use as surround and/or surround back speakers in a multichannel home theater setup. As surround speakers, the Theva Surround should be mounted on the wall vertically on either side of your main listening potion. As rear surround speakers, the Theva Surround should be mounted on the wall vertically on the wall directly behind your main listening position. As surround and/or surround speakers, the Theva Surround should be mounted be mounted at ear level or slightly above early level when in your main seated listening position.
- Front Channels: The Focal Theva Surround can also be used as front speakers for your home theater or music setup, with one speaker mounted vertically on the wall on either side of your television. Each speaker should be positioned approximately 19.6875" from the side of the TV and at ear level in your main seated listening position.
- Center Channel: Since the Focal Theva Surround speaker is packaged individually, you can even use it as an on-wall center-channel speaker. It will mount vertically on the wall under or before your television with the speaker centered with your TV's screen.
- Only use the mounting bracket that is included with the Theva Surround. Other 3rd-party wall-mount brackets are not compatible.
- The Focal Theva Surround cannot be tabletop, shelf, or stand mounted due to the the design and angle of its speaker cabinet.
Focal Theva Series: Made in France in Focal's own workshop, the Theva Series delivers outstanding performance for both two-channel stereo and multichannel home theater applications. In addition to their Hi-Fi sound, the Theva Series boasts a sleek and elegant look that complements almost any room's decor. The Vocal Theva Series line-up consists of three floorstanding speakers (N2/N3/N3-D), one bookshelf speaker (N1), a center-channel speaker (Center), and an on-wall surround speaker (Surround).
Optional Powered Sub: For even bigger bass response, add a Focal powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Theva Series speakers.