About the Polk Audio MagniFi MAX AX
New heights and depths for movie night
The Pok MagniFi MAX AX delivers spacious Dolby Atmos sound from a slim bar and wireless sub. (AC power required.)
New heights and depths for movie night
The MagniFi MAX AX sound bar and subwoofer system offers big sound with support for detailed multichannel formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The bar packs an impressive 11 built-in speakers that direct sounds for greater immersion, including up-firing drivers for overhead effects. And the included wireless subwoofer adds weight and impact to your movie and game soundtracks, helping you feel the action on-screen.
Music streaming options aplenty
If you want to chill and listen to music, this bar has you covered with built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Chromecast built-in, and Spotify Connect. With all these options, it's easy to wirelessly stream your favorite tunes from your phone directly to the sound bar. Need to decompress after a long day? You're just a couple swipes away from the Black Keys' "Just Got to Be" — and that always seems to make the evening feel a little smoother.
Apple fans are in good hands, too. AirPlay 2 lets you stream using an iPhone® or iPad® and connect the sound bar to the AirPlay ecosystem. If you're a subscriber to Apple Music®, you can even use Siri to control and play that service with your voice.
Deep, no-hassle bass
The included 10" subwoofer connects wirelessly to the sound bar for easy placement and setup. Just turn it on and hit "Connect" on the back of the sub. With a ported cabinet that delivers extended bass, this sub helps bring the rumble to your favorite movies and games.
Don't miss the quiet moments
Quiet conversations can sometimes get lost in the mix of a movie or game's soundtrack. We've all strained our ears at some point to catch important lines. The MagniFi MAX AX has a dedicated center channel to bring conversations front and center. And Polk's VoiceAdjust™ technology lets you further boost voice levels to make sure you're consistently getting clear, intelligible dialogue.
Set up is a breeze and can be completed in just a few minutes.
The sound bar includes a remote with simple, intuitive controls. But it's also pre-programmed to work with most TV remotes currently on the market. No scrambling for the right remote — you can just use the one already in your hands.
The MagniFi MAX AX's preset sound modes also help you make quick adjustments with the press of a button. There are presets for movies, music, and watching TV at night when the kids are down for the count.
Expand your sound
Increase your movie-night drama by expanding your home theater to 5.1.2 surround sound with the optional Polk SR2 wireless speaker kit (sold separately). This pair delivers true, wraparound rear-channel surround effects for deeper immersion. The speakers also connect wirelessly to the sound bar, so you only need to plug in to an AC outlet instead of running speaker wire across your room.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers 3.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- patented SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) 3D audio technology for a precise, wide soundstage
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you easily stream from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- built-in Spotify® Connect for music streaming
- Roku TV Ready for seamless connection and set up with a Roku TV
- compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control devices
- built-in 11-driver speaker-array:
- four 3" x 1" midrange woofers (left, right)
- three 3/4" soft dome tweeters (left, center, right)
- two 2-1/2" x 1" midrange woofers (center)
- two 2-1/2" full range drivers (height left/right)
- Polk VoiceAdjust technology boosts the volume of voices for crystal-clear dialogue
- Polk BassAdjust balances low-end frequencies of the bar and sub to dial in bass impact
- Night Mode lowers bass output and increases VoiceAdjust without raising the overall volume
- wall-mountable (brackets included)
- 44-15/16"W x 4-5/8"H x 2-7/8"D
- 10" down-firing woofer
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 11-15/16"W x 15-11/16"H x 16-5/16"D
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output (cable included)
- supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 4K/HDR passthrough including Dolby Vision®
- optical digital audio input
- USB-A input for firmware updates
- works with optional Polk SR2 wireless surround speakers for 5.1.2 home theater sound (sold separately)
- includes remote control (with batteries)
- designed in the USA
- warranty: 3 years (speakers); 1 year (amplifier)
- MFR # 300542-01-00-101
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 57" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount spacers
- Wall-Mount Template
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
- Online Registration Card
Customer reviews for Polk Audio MagniFi MAX AX
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio MagniFi MAX AX
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.2|
|Virtual Surround||SDA Surround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||0.75" Soft-Dome (3)|
|Midrange||2.5" Full-Range Drivers (|
|Woofer||Racetrack Mid-Woofers (6)|
|Subwoofer Driver||10" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||via Chromecas, Alexa|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-7/8H x 44-15/16W x 4-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||12.85 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-11/16H x 11-15/16W x 16-5/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||26.3 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
11-Driver Array Soundbar: The Polk Audio MagniFi Max AX is a 3.0.2ch active soundbar speaker with dedicated front, center, and height channels (surround channels are matrixed) for an accurate and expansive soundstage. The dedicated front, center, and height channels are made up of an 11-driver array that combines Polk's patented technology to deliver Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound - up to 3.1.2ch with the included wireless powered subwoofer.
- Stereo Front Channels: The active soundbar's stereo front channels consist of a total of six drivers. There is one 0.75" soft-dome tweeter and two 3" x 1" racetrack mid-woofer drivers for each left & right front channel.
- Dedicated Center Channel: The soundbar dedicated center channel consists of a total of three drivers, including a 0.75" soft-dome tweeter and two 2.5" x 1" racetrack mid-woofer drivers.
- Discrete Height Channels: The soundbar speaker's discrete height channels consist of two 2.5" full-range drivers on top of the speaker cabinet that fire upward and reflect sound off the ceiling for overhead effects from Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie soundtracks.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered subwoofer reproduces deep bass impact that you can feel from your movie and music soundtracks. It houses a down-firing 10" woofer, down-firing bass port, and built-in amplifier. You can independently adjust the wireless powered sub's bass level from the rest of the system's overall volume level. This powered subwoofer connects wirelessly to the soundbar for convenient placement (it does still require an AC power outlet).
Note: The powered subwoofer automatically pairs to the soundbar when powered on and connects wirelessly.
Optional Wireless Surrounds: Add Polk's SR2 wireless surround speakers (sold separately) to get even more immersion with full, multi-dimensional 5.1.2ch surround sound.
SDA 3D Audio Technology: The Polk MagniFi Max AX can create room-filling Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound (up to 3.1.2ch), enhanced with Polk's patented SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) 3D audio technology. Polk's patented SDA 3D Audio technology creates an expansive three-dimensional soundstage and detailed stereo image. SDA both heightens and widens the soundstage providing an immersive room-filling sound without sacrificing clarity. A Movie Mode adds this same virtual width and height dimension to any movie or music soundtrack for an immersive listening experience. In addition to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the MagniFi Max AX supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, and DTS.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience.
- DTS:X: DTS:X places sound in a movie soundtrack where it would occur naturally in space, creating a truly lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports you (the audience) into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering a truly captivating home cinema experience.
Note: Because the MagniFi Max AX does not feature dedicated surround channels, surround channels are mixed with the soundbar's left and right front channels, as well as the left and right height channels, to create a matrixed 3D soundfield for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and other compatible Dolby Digital and DTS multichannel audio formats.
Sound Modes: You can cycle through a variety of sound modes to adjust the audio characteristics of the soundbar system according to the type of content you are listening to or simply your preference. The sound mode setting is saved for each individual HDMI input/output to allow you to tailer the sound for each source input.
- Auto: This mode automatically sets the most appropriate sound mode for the media that is currently being played back.
- TV: Use this mode for casual TV and movie watching. This mode helps you hear all the important dialog and affects even at low to moderate volume levels.
- Movie: Use this mode for an enveloping and dynamic movie theater experience regardless of the content. This mode enhances the height and surround effects in Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio formats and virtualizes these effects for other program formats
- Music: Use this mode for streaming music or for enhancing musical content in TV shows and movies.
- Night: Use this mode for low-volume listening. This mode reduces bass and volume dynamics while improving voice intelligibility.
- All Stereo: Use this mode when listening to music to send the front left and right channels to your surround speakers. This mode is only available when Polk SR2 surround speakers (sold separately) are connected.
Audio Adjustments: Using the included IR remote control you can customize the MagniFi Max AX soundbar system's Voice, Height, Bass & Treble, as well as Surround level.
- VoiceAdjust: Polk's patented VoiceAdjust speech-clarifying technology works with MagniFi AX's integrated center-channel speaker to bring up the volume of voices over other elements of the movie soundtrack. Voice Adjust technology dramatically increases vocal clarity and volume level for crystal clear dialog no matter what you're watching.
- Height Level: The Height Adjust feature lets increase or decrease the volume level of the dedicated up-firing, height-channel speakers on the MagniFi Max AX soundbar.
- Bass & Treble: From the remote control, you can adjust the soundbar system's Bass & Treble. You can increase or decrease the high frequency details, as well as increase or decrease the amount of impactful bass.
- Surround Control: If you have connected a set of Polk SR2 wireless surround speakers (sold separately), you are able to raise or lower the surround output level.
HDMI eARC: The Polk Audio MagniFi Max AX can connect to your TV via HDMI eARC or HDMI ARC (depending on the capability of your TV). For optimum performance, use an HDMI eARC connection. eARC stands for enhanced Audio Return Channel and allows full-resolution sound signals, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, to be passed from your TV to the soundbar system.
- eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): If you connect to a TV with eARC, the multichannel audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos (uncompressed), Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS:X, DTS HD, and DTS.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): If you connect to a TV using ARC, the multichannel audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos (compressed), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, and DTS. An ARC connection cannot support Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, or DTS:X.
Optical Digital Input: The soundbar features a single optical (toslink) digital input to connect your flat-panel TV. The optical input can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital and DTS program material. The soundbar's digital input also supports 2-channel PCM.
- The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- There are no analog audio inputs.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring three HDMI inputs and one HDMI eARC output, the Polk MagniFi Max SR incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K Ultra HD video pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR) video, and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
Note: There are no analog video inputs or outputs.
4K Pass-Through: The MagniFi Max AX supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels)/60Hz video on all of its HDMI inputs and HDMI eARC output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The MagniFi Max SR supports two types of HDR formats - HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the soundbar and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits.
Note: The system does not support the HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) or HDR10+.
HDCP 2.2 Compliant: All of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI jacks are HDCP 2.2 compatible which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
AV Sync: If the soundbar audio is out of sync with your TV dialog on-screen, you can manually adjust the timing using the AV Sync adjustment feature from the remote control.
WiFi Network Connection: The Polk Audio MagniFi Max AX offers built-in, dual-band 2.4/5GHz WiFi (802.11ac) that allows you to connect wirelessly to your home's WiFi network router and ISP (internet service provider). By connecting the soundbar & subwoofer system to your home's network router and ISP, you can gain access to Chromecast Built-in with optional Google voice control, Spotify Connect, Amazon Alexa, and Apple AirPlay 2 with Siri.
Note: A WiFi network connection can be setup using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+), the Amazon Alexa App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+), or via AirPlay and your Apple iOS device.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Polk Audio soundbar system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the soundbar & subwoofer system. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Polk soundbar speaker system.
Works With Alexa : The MagniFi Max AX works with external Alexa enabled speakers and devices (such as the Amazon Echo - sold separately), so you can enjoy hands-free access and voice control of select online music services. Use your voice to access and control your favorite online music services - such as Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Tidal, Spotify, and more. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
- The MagniFi Max AX is not equipped with its own built-in microphone and will require an Alexa enabled device (such as the Amazon Echo - sold separately) in order to access hands-free access and voice control of Amazon Alexa compatible online music services.
- You will also need to download the Amazon Alexa App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
Note: To use Amazon Alexa, you must agree to Amazon's Privacy Statement.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Polk MagniFi Max AX. You'll be able to cast many of your favorite internet radio stations, online music services, and podcast to the Polk active sound bar speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Polk MagniFi Max AX. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the Polk soundbar speaker system. Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the Polk MagniFi Max AX active soundbar speaker system.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Polk MagniFi Max AX. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: The Polk MagniFi Max AX delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional Polk Link Series and other Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
- Optional Voice Control: With a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), you can use your voice to control playback of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Polk MagniFi Max AX from within the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device, as well as your Windows PC or Mac computer. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk MagniFi Max AX features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the soundbar & subwoofer system. You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices with the Polk MagniFi Max AX, but only one device can be connected for playback at a time. The Polk system has a Bluetooth wireless range of approximately 32.8' (10m).
- You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for playback control and to view song/artist/album information.
- The system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Polk Audio soundbar speaker system. In addition, the Polk MagniFi Max AX offers support for HDMI-CEC, built-in preset remote codes, TV remote control learning.
- HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the soundbar via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
- Preset Codes: Built-in preset codes allow for most Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony TV remotes to control the Polk soundbar's volume and mute functions right out of the box (no programming required). TV must be manufactured within the last 5 years.
- IR Learning Function: If you have another brand of television that is not listed above, or you have a cable or satellite receiver, you can also program the Polk soundbar speaker system to respond to one of these remotes (remote functions include - Power, Volume, and Mute).
Top-Panel Controls: There are six push-button controls on top of the active soundbar speaker that operation Power On/Off, Source Input, Bluetooth Pairing, Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute.
Front-Panel Display: The active soundbar speaker features a front-panel display that indicates status information when you change settings and modes - including source input and volume level. The display turns off when you are not actively making changes.
Mounting Options: The Polk MagniFi Max AX offers flexible mounting options for the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- The soundbar speaker should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The soundbar can simply be placed on a tabletop, stand, or shelf (integrated rubber feet provide secure placement). The soundbar can also be mounted to the wall using the integrated keyhole slots and included wall-mount spacers (mounting screws not included). The two keyhole slots are spaced 16" apart. Make sure that the soundbar's top-firing height channel drivers are not obstructed from reflecting sound off of the ceiling.
- The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 30' from soundbar). Ideally, the powered sub should be placed along the same wall as the soundbar speaker. Placing the powered subwoofer in a corner will increase its bass response even more.
Power Requirements: Both the soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will require an AC power outlet. Each come with a detachable 6' AC power cord.
2 questions already asked