About the JBL L52 Classic
Retro design for a compact speaker
Under the colorful grilles are well-made drivers, a front-facing port, and a high-frequency level control.
Retro design for a compact speaker
JBL recently revisited their designs of the 1970s with the L100 Classic, an updated version of their best-selling speaker of all time. I love the larger speaker's retro look, so I was happy to see this more compact, wall-mountable version. The L52 Classic offers the same cool styling in a form factor that suits my smaller living space.
This pair of speakers features the elegant walnut cabinet and colorful Quadrex foam grilles that make the Classic line so visually distinct.
What's under the grilles
The L52's grilles give them a cool look, but it's what's underneath that makes them sound so good. A white, 5-1/4" pure pulp woofer provides clear mids and punchy bass, with the help of a front-firing port. And a front-mounted high-frequency level control lets you fine-tune the performance of the 3/4" titanium dome tweeter.
- 2-way design
- 5-1/4" pure pulp cone woofer
- 3/4" titanium dome tweeter with waveguide
- high-frequency level control on front baffle
- walnut veneer enclosure with famous Quadrex foam grille
- bass-reflex enclosure with front-firing port
- frequency response: 47-24,000 Hz (-6 dB)
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- power handling: 10-75 watts RMS
- impedance: 4 ohms
- gold-plated binding posts
- threaded inserts for wall mounting (brackets not included)
Dimensions and warranty:
- 7-13/16"W x 13-1/16"H x 8-11/16"D
- weight: 11 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLL52CLASSICBLU
What's in the box:
JBL L52 Classic owner's manual
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Owner's Manual
JBL L52 Classic reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JBL L52 Classic
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Power Range||10- 5|
|Frequency Response||47-24k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Wall-mountable||With optional bracket|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||22-26|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Driver Design: The JBL L52 Classic loudspeaker utilizes a 2-way driver configuration with a 0.75" titanium dome tweeter and an 5.25" pure-pulp cone bass woofer. The L52 Classic Loudspeaker delivers room-filling, full-range sound with exceptional dynamic range and detail, clean and effortless high output, and precise deep bass with low distortion.
High Frequency Level Control: The L52 Classic has a front-panel adjustment that lets you balance the levels of the tweeter (HF) relative to the woofer. You can use these controls to adjust the speaker's sound according to your room's acoustics, or your personal taste. The "0dB" default position is a good place to start. Whatever sounds best to you in your room is the right setting. As with most speakers, after you start playing the L52 Classic it will take the drivers' suspensions several weeks to "break in" and achieve optimum performance. During this period, the balance between the woofer and tweeter may change, so JBL recommends that you adjust the high frequency level control again after the break-in period.
Note: The front-panel control adjustment is located behind the Quadrex foam grille. There is also a protective plastic film on the front control panel label that needs to be removed.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The JBL L52 Classic loudspeaker employs a bass reflex enclosure with a front-firing port for higher efficiency and bigger bass response. The enclosure is finished in walnut veneer and is available with a black, blue, or orange Quadrex foam grille.
Binding Post Terminals: The L52 Classic loudspeaker features gold-plated, 5-way binding-post speaker terminals that will accept a variety of connector types - including bare wire (up to 10AWG) spade-connectors, pin-connectors, and banana connectors (single or dual). Plastic inserts inside the binding-posts will need to be removed in order to use banana connectors.
Mounting & Placement Options: The L52 Classic speaker can be positioned on a floor stand (sold separately) or placed on a bookshelf. It can also be wall-mounted via two M6 threaded inserts on the rear-panel and using an optional mounting bracket (sold separately ).
- JBL recommends that you position each speaker so that its tweeter is approximately at ear level. The recommended stand height is 24".
- For best results, place the speakers 6' to 8' apart. If you set the speakers farther apart than this, angle them toward the listening position.
- The speakers will produce the most accurate stereo soundstage when the angle between the listener and the speakers is between 40 and 60 degrees.
- Generally, bass output will increase as the speaker is moved closer to a wall or corner. For best performance, JBL recommends that you place the speakers at least 20" away from the sidewalls.
4 questions already asked
Great speakers! The sound is amazing and I love the retro look. Like the other reviewers, I was very impressed with the bass from these, considering their size. I'm happy!
Bruce from Brewster, NY