About the JBL Studio 2 8IC
Immersive sound with zero footprint
Immersive sound with zero footprint
Here's a sweet in-ceiling speaker from JBL that really delivers. Install a pair of the Studio 2 8IC in rooms where you want music without giving up any floor space to traditional speakers. Or use them for your home theater's surround or Dolby Atmos® channels.
Solid bass comes courtesy of an 8" woofer, while smooth highs flow from a 1" tweeter. A three-position tweeter level control lets you cut or boost high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics.
Born from JBL's storied audio heritage
The Studio 2 Series' distinctive sound was modeled after JBL's legendary M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the best speakers they ever created. JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology helps this speaker deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- 8" Polyplas® woofer
- 1" CMMD® (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) Lite tweeter
- tweeter is aimable to direct high frequencies toward you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- frequency response: 30-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 100 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- includes paintable magnetic grille
- cutout diameter: 9-5/8"
- overall diameter: 10-3/4"
- mounting depth: 5-1/4"
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # STUDIO28ICAM
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Cloth scrim
- Cut-Out Template
- Instruction Manual
Customer reviews for JBL Studio 2 8IC
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Studio 2 8IC
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring posts|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 100|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
CCMD Lite Tweeter: The JBL Studio 2 8IC in-ceiling speaker is outfitted with a 1" CCMD Lite tweeter that delivers high-frequency detail with natural balance, precision imaging, and low distortion.
- High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide: The CMMD Lite tweeter utilizes JBL's proprietary High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide that ensures that the loudspeaker fills the room with cinema-quality sound from almost any location.
- Aimable Tweeter: The CCMD Lite tweeter can pivot letting you target audio directly to your desired listening location, even when installed high on the ceiling or off-axis.
- Tweeter Level Control: There is a tweeter level control on the front baffle behind the grille. The tweeter level control allows you to fine-tune high frequencies (-3/0/+3dB) to suit room conditions and personal taste.
PolyPas Cone Woofer: The JBL Studio 2 8IC in-ceiling speaker houses a 8" long-throw woofer with a PolyPas cone and rubber surrounds for high output, high excursions, and extended bass response. The PolyPas cone is ribbed for improved strength that helps deliver richer and more articulate bass with low distortion.
Advanced Crossover Network: The JBL Studio 8IC in-ceiling speaker utilizes an advanced, high-order crossover network (2.1kHz) that delivers accurate timbre reproduction.
Zero-Bezel Profile: The JBL Studio 2 in-ceiling speaker features a nearly invisible zero-bezel profile that blends into almost any room. The included grille attaches magnetically and is paintable. The bezel and grille only protrude 0.25" from the ceiling.
Spring Post Terminals: The JBL Studio 2 in-ceiling loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals to attach your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accommodate bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 14-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 12-gauge speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-ceiling applications.
In-Ceiling Installation: The Studio 2 in-ceiling speaker utilizes JBL's XL-2 bracket system that is suitable for installation in drywall, plywood, and other ceiling material that is 0.5" to 2" thick. The XL-2 bracket system's special mechanical grip design minimizes vibration and improves sound reproduction.
- The Studio 2 in-ceiling speaker requires a circular (round) cutout that measures 9.625" (diameter) x 5.0625" (depth). The outer dimensions of the speaker is 10.6875" (diameter) x 0.25" (depth).
- Make sure to allow at least 1" between the edge of the cutout and any obstructions behind the ceiling, so the speaker's locking mechanism will have room to engage fully.
- Perform an obstruction survey to be sure that there are no studs, lengths of conduit, pipes, heating ducts or air returns in the ceiling cavity that will interfere with the speaker.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Studio 2 8IC in-ceiling loudspeaker is the perfect choice for whole-house audio, 2ch music, and home theater applications. The Studio 2 8IC can act as a Front, Center, Surround, or Surround Back speaker in a home theater setup. Follow these guideline for placement -
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed sound is general sound throughout an area, place the loudspeakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right loudspeakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations. To avoid "hot spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more loudspeakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
- 2Ch Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side ceiling should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display. The center loudspeaker should be aligned with the center of the video display. The surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area, while the the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located behind the listening area.
Note: See the Owner's Manual for specific angle and distance measurements in regards to speaker placement.
1 question already asked