About the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
Latest sequel for one of our top true wireless performers
Latest sequel for one of our top true wireless performers
It's official: the Sennheiser Momentum TW 3 earbuds are my new pick for "best-sounding true wireless headphones." No surprise — the previous two generations also held this crown. And Sennheiser is ever improving the design of their "True Response" dynamic drivers.
The Included charging case banks 21 hours of power to recharge headphones
These 'buds offer many of the features that make the Sennheiser Momentum TW 2 earbuds so popular. Plus, they add stronger, more adaptive noise cancellation, a more ergonomic fit, more microphones for clearer calls, and more. And to my ears, these offer the cleanest, most detailed full-range sound you can get from a set of wireless in-ears.
New streamlined design and better fit
Sennheiser chose a less-flashy, low-profile design this time around. But they still look classy and feel well-put-together, plus a little lighter than their predecessors. They also include four sizes of silicone ear tips, so the 'buds twist and lock into place easily, staying in place while you move.
Strong noise cancellation for earbuds
Tapping the right earbud three times activates Sennheiser's noise-canceling circuitry. It is certainly above average for true wireless earbuds. In general, active noise cancellation doesn't work as well with in-ear headphones as it does with over-ear headphones — and a small number of earbuds can indeed cancel noise better.
But with that said, you get noise isolation just from the fit, and with music playing, these Sennheisers knocked out the sound of my usual work-from-home distractions. Their noise cancellation was also strong enough that I could listen to podcasts as I mowed, with my phone's volume at only 50%. So that's plenty good for saving my ears, especially since the sound is superior.
Listening impressions: well-defined space with heaps of detail
Like Sennheiser's previous Momentum true wireless earbuds, the TW 3s deliver a large, "outside-the-head" soundstage. But I found they deliver slightly more nuanced mids and highs, better-controlled bass, and true sense of space. This pinpoint stereo imaging helped turn Art Blakey's "Just Coolin'" into a jazz club stage that played out in front of me, each instrument with its own distinct place.
But all these attributes also make for one of the best Dolby Atmos music experiences I've had with headphones yet. Particularly on Apple Music's "spatial audio" version of Kendrick Lamar's hypnotic, introspective track "Mother I Sober."
Thundercat's bone-deep bass held my attention as it seemingly thumped in my chest. Kendrick's voice was barely above a whisper, giving the illusion that he's sharing a secret with only the listener. (I thought, should I be listening to this?) Then haunting piano keys off to the right melted directly into Beth Gibbons of Portishead's enveloping vocals, surrounding the head.
Charging case banks hours of power
The ultra-light earbuds arrive packed in a compact charging case covered in designer fabric. It feels as pleasant as it looks and opens with a satisfying snap. You get about seven hours of listening on a single charge. But the case banks enough power to recharge the earbuds three times while you're on the move.
Plus, you can pack it neatly inside a bag or purse — with no worries about pulling out a mess of tangled wires when you're ready to use the earbuds.
- Featured in our articles: Best true wireless earbuds for 2023 and Best Bluetooth headphones for 2023
- 100% wire-free headphones
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- adaptive hybrid noise-canceling circuitry automatically adjusts to the level of external sound
- uses a four microphone system to analyze your surroundings in real time
- adjustable Transparency mode lets you hear external sounds and voices
- "TrueResponse" dynamic driver in each earbud
- tuned for detailed sound across a wide frequency range
- spacious soundstage with precise imaging
- premium materials and IPX4 water-resistant design
- Bluetooth version 5.2 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- aptX Adaptive automatically adjusts to prioritize audio quality or low latency, depending on the listening situation
- multi-point connection for pairing to two devices at once (future firmware update)
- free Sennheiser Smart Control app for Apple® and Android™ allows you to adjust settings and customize the sound
- optional sound personalization uses a guided listening test that helps tailor the sound to your hearing
- optical sensors automatically pause music when earbuds are removed
- earbuds can be used one at a time or as a pair
Battery and charging info:
- built-in rechargeable batteries offers 7 hours of listening
- fabric-covered carrying case banks up to 21 hours of power to wirelessly recharge headphones
- wireless charging available with compatible Qi chargers (not included)
- USB-C cable included for charging case
General info and specs:
- includes 4 sizes of silicone ear tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- includes 3 sizes of silicone ear fins to further secure the fit
- touch controls on each earbud let you answer calls and control music
- built-in microphone system for clear phone calls
- frequency response: 5-21,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 107 dB
- weight: 0.40 ounces (both earbuds)
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # 509181
What's in the box:
- Left wireless earbud (MTW3 L)(White)
- Right wireless earbud (MTW3 R)(White)
- Charging case (MTW3 C)
- 4 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear fins (1 pair installed)
- 18" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Compliance Information
- Smart Control app card
Customer reviews for Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3
Features & specs
|Fit Style||True Wireless|
|Earcup Width x Height||0.715" x 0.852"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||5-21k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 (MTW3) in-ear headphones are two individual wireless ear buds with no connecting wires. They connect to your smartphone or tablet (and to each other) via Bluetooth. The MTW3 features Adaptive Noise Cancellation with a Transparency Mode, and gives you access to your smartphone's native Voice Assistant. Four pairs of silicone ear tips (XS, S, M, L) are included for a comfortable fit. The True Wireless 3 headphones come with a charging case for storage, and for recharging the batteries. They are available in black, graphite, and white.
Drivers: The True Wireless 3 features custom-made 7mm True Response™ dynamic drivers that reproduce a wide frequency range and the Sennheiser Signature Sound. From the crystal clear highs to the natural midrange and low bass, you can enjoy your favorite music from any genre. You can tailor the sound of the earphones through the equalizer found in the Sennheiser Smart Control app, available for iOS and Android devices.
Bluetooth 5.2: The Momentum True Wireless 3 headphones feature Bluetooth version 5.2 which pairs to your phone or audio device in seconds. You can make and receive phone calls and stream audio wirelessly in a range of up to 33' (10 meters), depending upon environmental conditions. The headphones have a maximum of 10mW of output power, and have the following profiles: Headset Profile (HSP), Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), and Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). If your audio source supports aptX or aptX adaptive, music is played in high resolution quality. Otherwise, the headphones will play in AAC (for Apple devices) or standard audio quality (SBC).
Voice Assistants: The ear buds are compatible with the voice assistant that is activated to your smartphone, such as Siri or Google Assistant. Tapping the right ear bud three times activates the voice assistant for you to make a request or ask a question. You can also activate voice dialing through the voice assistant.
Rechargeable Batteries: The Momentum True Wireless 3 headphones are powered by built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries. Each earbud's has a 77 mAh battery, while the charging case has a 850-950 mAh battery. The complete charging cycle of the charging case and earphones is approximately 1.5 hours. A 10-minute Quick Charge provides about 1 hours of playback time. The battery in the charging case charges via USB-C power (5V, 1000 mA) using the supplied cable. The charging case can also be charged by placing it on a Qi-compatible wireless charging pad. Fully-charged batteries in the earbuds provide approximately 7 hours playback. The charging case provides enough stored power to charge the earbuds 3 additional times, to extend the playback time to 28 hours.
Phone/Music Controls: Controls for music playback and phone call functions are located on separate earbuds. Both earbuds are equipped with touch controls on the outer panel. The left earbud controls Volume Down, and music playback functions Play/Pause, Next Track, and Previous Track. The right earbud controls Volume Up, Voice Assistant, Voice Dialing, Active Noise Cancellation, and Transparent Hearing. For phone call functions, you can use either ear bud. Touching both control panels simultaneously lets you pair and connect the earbuds to your Bluetooth mobile device.
Microphones: Each True Wireless 3 earbud is equipped with three beam-forming microphones that reject external noise so people only hear you and not your surroundings when you're on a call.
Smart Control App: In addition to the on-board controls, the Momentum True Wireless 3 in-ear headphones can be controlled by Sennheiser's Smart Control app for Android and iOS devices. The app lets you personalize and enhance the sound to suit your taste with the easy-to-use Equalizer. The Transparent Hearing function lets you adjust how much of your surroundings you can hear while wearing the earbuds. You can shut out your surroundings if you want to concentrate on your music, or allow ambient sounds in if you need to listen for announcements, or carry on a conversation with another person, without having to remove the earbuds. Firmware updates for the earphones are also available through the app. The app lets you monitor the battery level of the ear buds and the charging case at a glance. The Smart Control app is compatible with iOS devices running version 13.0 and later, and Android devices with version 8.0 and up.
- Frequency Response: 5Hz - 21kHz
- Transducer Size: 7mm
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.08% (1 kHz, 94dB)
- Sensitivity: 107dB (1 kHz/1mW)
- Ingress Protection: IPX4 (splash proof)
- Earbuds: 0.715" (w) x 0.852" (h) x 1.021" (d)
- Charging Case: 2.752" (w) x 1.362" (h) x 1.751" (d)
- Earbuds: 0.2 ounces (each); 0.4 ounces (pair)
- Charging Case: 2.35 ounces (2.75 oz with earbuds)
The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3 replaces these items
- Bluetooth version 5.1 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- 7mm dynamic drivers for detailed sound across a wide frequency range
- active noise cancellation uses internal circuitry to reduces external distractions