About the Sony XBR-65X900A
4K: A revolution in resolution
4K: A revolution in resolution
At the very top of Sony's high-performance XBR series of TVs are the Ultra High Definition models like the XBR-65X900A. Here's a TV that can enhance the quality of everything you watch, with a screen that has four times the resolution of a regular "full HD" 1080p TV. Sony teams this 4K screen technology with a new type of LED backlighting that provides more depth and shades of color than you've probably ever seen before.
To enjoy a theater-like 4K viewing experience at home, connect this TV to Sony's FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD media player, which lets you access a library of full-length 4K Ultra HD feature films and TV shows from your living room. You can download titles from Sony's Video Unlimited 4K Store and load them on the FMP-X1's built-in 2-terabyte hard drive.
Sony does 4K from "lens to living room"
The XBR-65X900A's screen contains over 8 million pixels (3,840 x 2,160) — the highest resolution Sony has ever produced on a TV. Later this year you'll see 4K models from other TV makers, but only Sony's 4K expertise extends from "lens to living room." They build professional 4K cameras and cinema projectors, and Sony Pictures has a bigger catalog of 4K films than any other studio. This end-to-end approach helps ensure that XBR owners can have a truly theater-like experience at home.
Sony's TVs are known for their powerful video processing. The new 4K X-Reality™ Pro chip enhances picture quality by analyzing and correcting images, resulting in impressively natural detail and color. You'll see the benefits of X-Reality Pro on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. X-Reality Pro enhances detail and reduces video noise in a sophisticated way. It actually draws on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture. You also get Sony's highest level of motion processing, Motionflow™ XR 960, which maintains clear motion even with fast-action content.
Amazing 2D and 3D viewing, plus two-player gaming
This is a 3D TV, and the XBR-65X900A's 3840 x 2160-pixel screen resolution enhances clarity for both 2D and 3D viewing. You can enjoy full HD 3D right away — four pairs of passive 3D glasses are included. This TV's advanced screen technology also makes it possible to enjoy two-player gaming on the same TV without the need for a split screen. There are already a number of SimulView™ game titles available for PlayStation® 3, and two pairs of SimulView glasses are included with this TV.
TRILUMINOS LED backlighting
Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display LED backlighting creates remarkably pure, lifelike colors. This cutting-edge "quantum dot" technology achieves a wider color range. Even hard-to-reproduce shades like deep reds and emerald greens are displayed beautifully.
A powerful 6-speaker sound system helps create a totally immersive viewing experience.
Sound takes a big leap forward
Sony proves that thin TVs don't have to have thin sound. Using exclusive Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology, they developed a thinner, more efficient loudspeaker that actually produces high-quality sound. Notice that the six speakers face forward, directing sound straight at you instead of bouncing it off a surface beneath or behind the TV. With 65 watts of sonic muscle, Sony's 4K XBR delivers robust sound that needs no apology.
Up-to-the-minute Smart TV features
The XBR-65X900A has built-in Wi-Fi® so you can stream exciting HD entertainment straight from the web. You can access an endless selection of entertainment at the Sony Entertainment Network, where thousands of movies, TV shows, videos, games and music are always at your fingertips.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- Ultra High Definition TV with "4K" screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's passive 3D glasses (4 pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- OptiContrast panel for improved brightness, deeper black levels, and less reflection
- Dynamic Edge LED backlight with local dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
- TRILUMINOS Display technology for a wider color range
- Motionflow XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- 4K X-Reality Pro video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (subscription/fees required for some services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- one-touch screen mirroring
- Skype-ready (requires Sony camera, sold separately)
- built-in 6-speaker sound system with 65 watts (20 watts x 2, plus 12.5 watts x 2 for woofers)
- two remote controls, one infrared-based and one RF-based
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI 2.0
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 16"W x 16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 66-1/4"W x 34-1/2"H x 4"D (35-5/8"H x 16"D on stand)
- weight: 102.3 lbs. with stand; 99.2 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 18 months parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- MFR # XBR65X900A
What's in the box:
- 65" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- IR remote control (RM-YD087)
- RF remote control (RMF-YD001)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Four 3D glasses (TDG-500P)
- Panel cover
- Four M5 x 16mm screws (lock-/flat-washers)
- Operating Instructions (Setup Guide)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet
- Stand Assembly Diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- Ultra 4K HDTV brochure
- "Color IQ" information sheet
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Customer reviews for Sony XBR-65X900A
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XBR-65X900A
Features & specs
Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV.
Note: The Sony FMP-X1 4K Ultra-HD media player (158FMPX1, sold separately) lets you enjoy true 4K Ultra-HD content on your new Sony 4K Ultra-HD flat-panel television.
4K X-Reality Pro Chip w/ Super Resolution Processing: Sony's unique 4K TV upscale your favorite TV shows, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos for higher quality, stunning results. The new 4K X-Reality PRO chip enhances HD (and lower resolution) images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. The latest Reality Creation database and Super Resolution processing breathes new life into everything you see with phenomenal 4K (3,840 x 2,160) resolution.
Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting w/ Local Dimming: Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with local dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes that pop with vibrant color. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas for a more realistic picture.
OptiContrast Panel w/ TRILUMINOS: The Sony Bravia XBR-X900A series television utilizes OptiContrast panel technology for improved brightness, deeper blacks, less reflection, and overall better picture accuracy. Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display technology creates incredibly true, natural shades of colors; just the way you want them. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with natural skin tones. It's all thanks to a new TRILUMINOS display that gives images a heightened sense of depth.
MotionFlow XR 960 Technology: Sony's MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 960 combines 120 frames-per-second with the TV's advanced LED backlight system to simulate a 960 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 960 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
- True Cinema: Images, such as a movie created in 24fps are reproduced at the original frame rate.
Video Inputs: The Sony XBR-X900A series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The XBR-X900A series TV is fitted with four HDMI inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept 4K, 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video (480i only) input instead.
- Composite Video: The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 2 input is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 2 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 2 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Passive 3D Technology (w/ glasses): There's 3D, then there's 3D with 4K (3,840 x 2,160). Life-like 3D images emerge from the 4K screen with realism. The level of detail is absolutely stunning; it's the closest thing to a 3D theater in your living room. The Sony XBR-900A series LED-LCD TV uses the same Passive 3D technology used to power 3D films in today's movie theaters. The Sony LED-LCD TV creates stereoscopic three-dimensional images using polarized glasses (4 pair included), making it ideal for 3D movies and games. This passive 3D technology offers wider viewing angles, no "flicker-effect", and less eye strain.
- Depth Control: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
- SimulView Gaming: SimulView gaming presents 2 different Full HD pictures at once on the LED-LCD TV, making it so each player sees only their unique point of view across the entire screen while wearing light, comfortable glasses (TDG-SV5P, sold separately) that don't need batteries. There's already a growing collection of fun-filled PS3 games with SimulView technology.
Note: The Sony LED-LCD TV can display in 3D via 3D broadcasting or when the TV is connected to a compatible device, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player with 3D content. The TV must be connected to your 3D source via HDMI (v.1.4) and you must wear the included passive 3D glasses in order to see these images in 3D (three-dimensional) format.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Auto Wide|| |
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Custom: Allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Sharpness, and Color Temperature.
- Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode,
the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- LED Dynamic Control: Optimizes contrast by adjusting brightness in individual sections of the screen.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
- Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Smooth Gradation: Creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Digital Noise Reduction: The LED-LCD TV provides Digital
Noise Reduction (DNR) to help eliminate noise and create a clear picture.
- Intelligent MPEG Noise Reduction: Dramatically reduces two common problems in compressed video signals - block noise and mosquito noise. The Intelligent "MPEG Noise Reduction" automatically reduces picture noise, such as mosquito noise and/or block noise, in compressed videos. It improves picture quality in Digital broadcast and Blu-ray/DVD players.
- Adaptive Noise Reduction: The TV's Adaptive Noise Reduction automatically reduces picture noise and dot noise around objects on the screen.
- Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows
for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
65-Watt Speaker System: Unique to Sony TVs, Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology allows a thinner, more efficient loudspeaker that offers faithful reproduction of high-fidelity sound. The front-facing speaker system directs sound right at you with 65 watts of power.
S-Force Front Surround: S-FORCE Front Surround provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. S-Force Front Surround simulates 5.1ch surround sound, with an enlarged sweet spot that everyone in the room can enjoy. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect to match your 3D video.
Sound Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount/Floor Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Preset Sound Modes + 7-Band EQ: The TV offers five preset sound modes (Standard, Music, Cinema, Game, Sports). The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Advanced Audio Settings: The TV offers additional audio adjustments to enhance the television's sound.
- Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer reproduces clear sound by complementing high-frequency bands.
- Sound Booster: The Sound Booster enhances both treble & bass in order to reproduce a more dynamic sound.
- Voice Zoom: Makes voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
- Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB input can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony XBR-X900A series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony XBR-X900A series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony LED-LCD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3/WMA/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV) files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Sony Entertainment Network: Once the TV has been connected to your home network, you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony LED-LCD TV screen via Bravia Internet Video, Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps. Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Netflix(5.1ch), Hulu Plus, Video Unlimited, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker, NPR, and more.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos (viewster), games, weather (AccuWeather), news (Associate Press), world clocks, social networks (Facebook/Twitter), and photo albums (Flickr) more.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Bravia Entertainment Network content requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Skype Ready: You can enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through this Sony TV. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (158CBR100, sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen. Or, you can use your MHL-connected mobile phone as your camera.
Screen Mirroring (via Miracast & NFC): Using Miracast or Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, you'll instantly be able to view exactly what's on your smartphone's screen on the TV. Movies, music and apps are automatically scaled to fit the larger TV screen. Your smartphone must be WiFi-enabled and support Miracast or NFC. The TV's NFC tag is located on the back of the RF remote control. Currently only select Sony Xperia Android-based smartphones are compatible with this TV's NFC tag function.
Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG/H.264/XviD/WMV9), and listening to music (MP3/WMA) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Photo Frame: You can enjoy looking at a photo, listening to music, and viewing the clock/calendar at the same time. To prevent any type of burn-in, the position of the photo, clock, and calendar are switched automatically every hour. The TV will automatically shut off after 1, 2, 4, or 24 hours of Photo Frame mode.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested TV contained software version PKG3.008AAA ( as of 5/6/2013). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, and Internet applications can be shown in the Favorites screen.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
- Content Information Search: This feature searches for information about the TV program you are watching, or the currently playing music title/artist name on your TV, from an Internet database.
- Related Search: When the TV is connected to the Internet, you can search for related content while watching various content on the TV.
- History: This feature displays the last five sources you have selected from TV, external inputs, network apps, media server, and USB.
Scene Select: You can access the following Scene Select modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Dual Wireless Remote Controls: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control and RF remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remotes are designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The IR remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV and a numeric keypad. The RF remote control provides an on-screen numeric keypad.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
TV SideView Remote App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony XBR-X900A series TV and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
USB Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the USB mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial/IR Ports: You can connect the 3.5mm serial and IR ports to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 102.3 lbs with the stand attached. The tabletop stand does not swivel.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a spacing of 400mm (h) x 300mm (v). The screw holes accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 99.2 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.25" from the wall.