About the Sony IER-M9
Five-driver system for top-flight sound
Five-driver system for top-flight sound
A few years ago, Sony made the conscious decision to rededicate themselves to great sound: precisely how they built their name in the first place. The IER-M9 in-ear monitor (IEM) headphones are a shining example of the company credo. Sony designed these IEMs for stage performances, but their highly accurate sound signature makes them a top choice for high-end headphone enthusiasts, too.
Inside each earpiece, there are five balanced-armature drivers tuned to deliver clear, resolving sound across a wide-frequency range. A dedicated "super-tweeter" armature reveals the finest high-end details.
Professional-level noise isolation
Things get loud on-stage, and it's crucial to be able to focus on your specific instrument or vocal. Sony built these IEMs so professional musicians can do just that. I can tell you firsthand, it works well in an office setting, too. The IER-M9s knocked out outside distractions so I could focus on my tunes.
A large assortment of ear tips, for better fit and sound
We often talk about fit in terms of comfort. But getting a good in-ear seal has sonic advantages, too. Fortunately, Sony includes 13 different pairs of ear tips — maybe the most I've ever seen.
There are seven sizes of hybrid silicone tips, and six sizes of what Sony calls "triple comfort' tips. I personally preferred the latter. They were made of a soft, spongy material that helped create a comfortable, secure seal.
Detachable, wrap-around cable options
Sony includes two wrap-around-the-ear cables with the IER-M9. I had to overcome a small learning curve to get the right fit — you wrap the cord around your ear like you've probably seen musicians and performers do with their in-ear monitors. Once properly secured, they felt like they wouldn't slide around at all, no matter how I moved my head.
One cable includes an unbalanced 3.5mm mini plug. These in-ears are efficient enough that you can connect to your phone, but you'll get even better sonic results with a portable high-resolution music player. In fact, the second cable includes a 4.4mm balanced headphone plug so you make a balanced connection to Sony's NW-ZX300 Walkman®. Sony developed this new industry standard connection to help cut down on signal noise and distortion.
- in-ear headphones designed for studio and stage monitoring
- wrap-around cord routing system keeps headphones secured to ear
- professional-grade noise isolation
- each earbud uses five balanced-armature drivers for incredibly detailed performance
- fine-tuned, realistic sound over a wide frequency range
- "T-shaped" armature design helps reveal musical detail
- dedicated "super tweeter" armature for greater high-end resolve
- lightweight, rigid magnesium diaphragm delivers fast dynamics
- silver-coated copper voice coil for true-to-life highs
- rigid magnesium inner housing helps reduce vibration
- sophisticated crossover system
- custom-built film capacitor helps lower distortion
Accessories, Specs, and General Info:
- two detachable cables included
- 47" silver-coated oxygen-free cable with gold-plated 3.5mm miniplug
- 47"silver-coated oxygen-free cable with balanced 4.4mm headphone plug
- 13 pairs of ear tips:
- 7 sizes of silicone tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- 6 sizes of Sony's "triple comfort" soft ear tips for secure seal
- cleaning cloth and carrying case included
- frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 103 dB
- impedance: 20 ohms
- weight: 0.39 ounces (with cable)
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # IERM9
What's in the box:
- Left and right in-ear monitors
- 6 Pairs of Triple Comfort eartips
- 7 Pairs of Hybrid Silicone Rubber eartips
- 48" Audio cable with preformed ear hanger and right-angled 3.5mm plug
- 48" Audio cable with preformed ear hanger and right-angled 4.4mm balanced plug
- Clothing clip
- Cleaning cloth
- Cable holder
- Portable carrying case
- Storage case
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty (US/Canada)
Customer reviews for Sony IER-M9
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony IER-M9
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.802" x 0.907"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||5-40k Hz|
|Cord Length||48" + 48"|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony IER-M9 in-ear monitors are designed for stage performers during live musical performances. The monitors deliver an accurate and detailed sound which is faithful to your performance. The IER-M9 comes with two interchangeable cables, one with a balanced connection, plus 13 pairs of ear tips, a portable carrying case, and a sturdy, organized storage case.
Penta Balanced Armature Design: The IER-M9 features a Penta Balanced Armature design for better accuracy and detail. Five individual balanced armature driver units are used, each handling a specific frequency range. The M9 has an added super tweeter (compared to the IER-M7) for better reproduction of super-high frequencies. Fine acoustic adjustments were made in each BA unit to provide a wide frequency range and the most accuracy. The five BAs are mounted in a highly rigid magnesium housing to eliminate vibration and keep the sound clear and clean. A custom, audio-grade film capacitor is used in the crossover circuit to deliver much lower distortion. Audio-grade solder also minimizes signal loss. The in-ear monitors offer a wide and short sound path made of brass from the BA unit to the nozzle to reduce frequency peaks and dips for optimum sound.
Detachable Cables: The Sony IER-M9 in-ear monitors come with 48" detachable cables. The cables are made with silver-coated, oxygen-free copper to minimize signal loss, and provide better detail, smoother highs, and less signal degradation. The cable ends have preformed ear hangers that fit over your outer ear to provide a stable fit, and an adjustable cinch to keep the cables out of your way. One cable has a right-angled standard 3.5mm (1/8") mini-plug connector. The other is equipped with the newer right-angled 4.4mm (0.17") balanced connector that works with Sony's NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z hi-res music players.
Ear Tips: The in-ear monitors come with six pairs of Triple Comfort ear tips and seven pairs of Hybrid Silicone Rubber ear tips. The wide selection of ear tips guarantees your monitors will stay firmly in place, even while you're moving on stage. Sizes include SS (extra small), S (small), MS (medium small), M (medium), ML (medium large), L (large), and LL (extra large -- in hybrid silicone rubber only).
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 40,000 Hz
- Impedance: 20Ω (at 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 103dB / mW
- Power Handling Capacity: 100mW (IEC)
- Ear Bud Dimensions (without ear tip): Width: 0.802", Height: 0.907", Depth: 0.84"
- Weight: 0.19 ounces (each, no cable), 0.39 ounces (pair, no cable), 0.9 ounces (pair with cable)
1 question already asked