About the Sony NW-A105 Walkman®
Built for superior sound on the go
The Sony NW-A105 Walkman uses Android-supported Wi-Fi for wireless access to your online music streaming services.
Built for superior sound on the go
The Sony NW-A105 Walkman packs a lot of great features and performance into its milled aluminum chassis. High-quality electronic components and an optimized circuit board layout help it deliver natural, dynamic sound with low noise. A powerful digital-to-analog converter (DAC) renders high-resolution files in their native resolution for pristine, better-than-CD sound.
The NW-A105 lets you wirelessly access the internet through Wi-Fi, using its built-in Android operating system. Stream music from popular services such as Spotify®, Pandora®, TIDAL, and Apple Music® (subscriptions required).
Support for high-resolution audio files
The NW-A105 is compatible with high-res PCM-based files (up to 32-bit/384kHz), DSD (Direct Stream Digital) files, Apple Lossless, and other formats. Special onboard processing helps compressed files like MP3s sound their best. And the player can also decode MQA files, for additional high-res listening options.
Expandable memory for high-res files
The NW-A105 comes with 16GB of built-in storage, but the built-in operating system uses much of this memory. We recommend adding one or more microSD cards for storing your high-res music files.
High-res Bluetooth streaming
The player's Bluetooth is enhanced by Sony's LDAC technology. This allows the wireless signal to retain more musical detail with compatible Sony speakers and headphones. We recommend pairing this player with Sony's best Bluetooth headphones — the WH-1000XM3 wireless noise-cancelers — for a super-sounding portable listening rig.
Advanced design for high-performance audio
The milled casing isn't just for looks — the aluminum shields the player's circuitry from electrical noise. High-quality film capacitors ensure uniform frequency response for low distortion. Every little part of this Walkman, right down to the choice of solder and resistors, helps make you want to keep listening.
- plays MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC, APE, WMA, WAV, AIFF, and DSD audio files
- plays high-resolution digital music files (PCM files up to 32-bit/384kHz; DSD files up to 11.2MHz)
- DSD files are converted to PCM for playback
- rendering for MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files
- Android-supported Wi-Fi for streaming and directly downloading using popular music apps
- supported apps include Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, and Apple Music®
- memory card slot accepts microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards up to 128GB (available separately)
- 16GB internal flash memory
- built-in operating system uses internal memory — actual usable memory is approximately 6GB
- 3.6" color touchscreen display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- built-in Bluetooth supports Sony's LDAC Hi-fidelity streaming codec
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE HX) restores high-frequency signals to compressed digital formats like MP3 for more natural, expansive sound
- S-Master; HX™ amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- selectable audio effects, including a 10-band equalizer and Vinyl Processor
- Cassette Tape UI makes the LCD screen resemble an old-school cassette Walkman player
- NFC touch pairing with compatible devices
- 3.5mm minijack stereo headphone output
- high-speed USB Type-C charging cable
- rechargeable battery provides approximately 8-10 hours of high-res music over Bluetooth
- milled aluminum frame
- 1-1/4"W x 3-15/16"H x 1/2"D
- weight: 3.64 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # NWA105/B
What's in the box:
- Portable digital music player (black)
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Instruction Manual
- Startup Guide
- Warranty card (US + Canada)
- Listening for a Lifetime brochure
Customer reviews for Sony NW-A105 Walkman®
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony NW-A105 Walkman®
Overview: The Sony NW-A105 is a Walkman A-series digital music player, capable of playing high-resolution audio files up to 32-bit / 384kHz. The NW-A105 has Wi-Fi for direct downloads, and Bluetooth Audio Streaming. The device is equipped with a 3.5mm mini jack output for headphones. The unit features a 3.6" high-definition LCD screen, and an internal 16 GB flash memory. You can add even more memory by inserting an optional microSD card.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-A105 Hi-Res Walkman can support multiple digital audio formats:
|MP3 (.mp3)||32-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|WMA (.wma)||32-192 kbps (incl. VBR) at 44.1 kHz|
|FLAC (.flac)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|WAV (.wav)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp)||16-320 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp) ||32-144 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|Apple Lossless (.mp4, .m4a)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|DSD (.dsf, .dff)||1 bit at 2.8224, 5.6448, and 11.2896 MHz|
|APE (.ape)||8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)|
Construction: The NW-A105 is precision-engineered and constructed with high-quality materials and components for superior sound quality. It has a rigid aluminum milled frame which shields the internal circuitry from electrical noise. Internally, the NW-A105 uses high quality film capacitors in the amplification staage, helping the unit to deliver powerful bass and wide expansive instrumentals and vocals. To minimize signal loss, the circuit board uses audio-grade, lead-free solder with a small amount of gold for optimal signal transfer.
Side-mounted Controls: The unit has a row of physical controls along the right edge of the player. Buttons include music playback controls (play/pause, skip forward (hold down for fast forward), skip backward (hold down for fast rewind), Volume up, Volume down, and Power. A sliding Hold switch locks the playback operating buttons and volume controls to avoid accidental commands.
Display: The digital audio player has a high-definition 3.6" TFT color display (1280 x 720 pixels) with touch screen controls. The unit even features a special Cassette Tape user interface to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Walkman portable.
Android Operating System: The user interface of the NW-A105 is supported by Android 9.0. You can set up a Google Account, or use an existing account, to use services provided by Google. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can purchase music content, including hi-res audio, from other online music services. The Home Screen has a "dock" for displaying shortcuts to up to 5 apps. Swiping up from the bottom of the screen displays the All Apps screen. The unit features the following pre-installed apps:
- Music Player: The Music Player app lets you play music content stored on the player, either transferred from your computer or purchased from online music services.
- Sound Adjustment: This app lets you adjust the sound coming from the headphone outputs. This app is particularly useful when playing music from apps other than Music Player.
- Google Play Store: You can use this app to purchase and/or download third party apps from the Google Play Store:
- Chrome: This app launches the Google Chrome internet browser to let you view websites.
Memory: The NW-A105 has a 16 GB built-in internal memory for storing your high-resolution music files. If more storage is needed, there is a slot for an optional microSD memory card. Cards up to 128 GB are compatible. Using a higher capacity memory card may work, but isn't guaranteed. Based on an average of 4 minutes per song, the built-in memory can hold the following number of songs:
|NW-A105 (16 GB)|
MP3 (128 kbps)
|AAC (256 kbps)|| |
|FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit)|| |
|FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit)|| |
|FLAC (192kHz/24-bit)|| |
|DSD (2.8224 MHz/1-bit)||30 songs|
Note: The actual usable memory is approximately 6.29 GB. A portion of the memory is used for data management functions.
Bluetooth/NFC: With built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can stream your music files wirelessly from compatible devices up to 30 feet away. Devices, such as a smartphone or Bluetooth headphones, that have the NFC (Near-Field Communication) function, can be automatically turned on, and paired with the player, by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the back of the player. The NW-A105 is equipped with LDAC, which uses the conventional Bluetooth connection, but transfers data at up to 999 kbps. That's three times the transfer rate of other audio profiles, which results in higher fidelity. In addition, the unit supports aptX and aptX HD.
Sound Quality Settings: You can adjust the sound quality with the following Sound Quality Settings:
- 10-band Equalizer/EQ Presets: You can adjust the sound at 10 individual EQ bands at 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 16kHz. The adjustment can be made from -10 to +10dB, and saved as Custom 1, Custom 2, or Custom 3 presets.
- DSEE HX: DSEE HX uses an algorithm to analyze the music, and automatically replace the "lost" information. DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) gives your highly-compressed music files new life so they sound almost as good as true Hi-Res Audio quality. DSEE HX can be turned on or off, as desired.
- DC Phase Linearizer: This function makes low frequency phase characteristics more similar to a traditional analog amplifier. It can be turned on/off, as desired.
- Dynamic Normalizer: The Dynamic Normalizer can moderate the change in volume between tracks to minimize the difference in volume level. It can be turned on/off , as desired.
- Vinyl Processor: The Vinyl Processor can add the character of vinyl recordings to your digital recordings with subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resonance, and surface noise.
- Direct Source: This setting lets you turn off the above sound adjustments and activate the Direct Source function. The current file's original sound quality is heard without any audio processing. The "Direct" toggle switch icon can be found on any of the above Sound Quality Setting pages.
Rechargeable Battery: The NW-A105 has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery for exceptional stamina. After a 5.5-hour full recharging time (via USB power), the unit's estimated battery life is as follows:
|Music Format||Approximate Battery Life|
|Ambient Sound||Noise Canceling|
|MP3 128 kbps||20 hrs ON, 26 hrs OFF||21 hrs ON, 26 hrs OFF|
|AAC 256 kbps||18 hrs ON, 24 hrs OFF||19 hrs ON, 24 hrs OFF|
|FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||15 hrs ON, 21 hrs OFF||16 hrs ON, 21 hrs OFF|
|FLAC 192kHz/24-bit||12 hrs ON, 16 hrs OFF||13 hrs ON, 16 hrs OFF|
|DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit||8 hrs ON, 11 hrs OFF||9 hrs ON, 11 hrs OFF|
|Bluetooth MP3 128 kbps||Approx. 10 hrs|
|Bluetooth FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||Approx. 8 hrs|
USB-C Port / System Requirements: The side-mounted USB-C port lets you connect the player to your computer for charging the battery, and transferring music content (using the included USB Type A to USB-C cable). Downloadable software is available for use with the NW-A105: Music Center for PC (Windows 7, 8.1, 10) or Android File Transfer for Mac (macOS 10.7 and higher).
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 40 kHz
- Maximum Power Output (16 ohms): 35mW + 35mW
- Dimensions: Width 2.194", Height 3.895", Depth 0.433"
- Weight: 3.6 ounces
10 questions already asked