About the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
A wider perspective
A wider perspective
This high-performance 16-35mm wide-angle zoom lens is perfect for expansive landscapes and architecture shots on the ultra-wide end, and capable of rendering exquisite portraits or intimate street scenes on the longer end. With a minimum focus distance of eleven inches, you can also use it at its widest setting for beautiful close-ups with spacious backgrounds that recede into infinity.
Sample image taken with Sony Alpha FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
Great photos indoors or out
While this lens's generous f/2.8 maximum aperture makes it well-suited for indoor shooting, particularly in cramped quarters, its rugged construction lends itself nicely to outdoor photography in just about any conditions. If you're out shooting on the beach and the wind starts kicking up sand, you won't have to worry — the dust- and moisture-resistant design means you can keep shooting even when the weather gets dicey.
All roads lead to sharpness and clarity
A constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range ensures your images will be consistently well-exposed by allowing you to change focal lengths without having to adjust your exposure settings once you've gotten them dialed in. Sony's Nano AR coating minimizes lens flare and ghosting and improves contrast and clarity. Specialized lens elements combine to give you high-resolution images with accurate color rendering and minimal distortion, while the 11-blade circular aperture gives you natural-looking defocused background highlights, drawing all the attention to your subject.
- lens type: E-mount full frame
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 16-35mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 24-52.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- constant f/2.8 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance throughout zoom range
- Nano AR anti-reflective coating for effective reduction of lens flare and ghosting
- 2 Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor (DDSSM) systems for quiet, precise focusing
- focus hold button for added control
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- 3 aspherical lens elements, 2 XA (extreme aspherical) elements, and 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) elements for better sharpness and contrast
- minimum focus distance: 11"
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 16 elements in 13 groups
- 11-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, lens case
- filter/attachment size: 82mm
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter and 4-7/8" long
- weight: 24 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # SEL1635GM
What's in the box:
- FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM wide-angle zoom lens
- 82mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH149 Lens hood
- Soft zippered carrying case
- Strap for carrying case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Information Document
Customer reviews for Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
Overview: The Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM (G Master) lens is a full frame (35mm) ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that is ideal for landscape and cityscape photography, as well as architecture and other wide-angle subjects. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL1635GM has an 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous background bokeh (blurred background elements). The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a soft zippered storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL1635GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It is designed for cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors. It will work with cameras with APS-C-sized image sensors, but will have an equivalent focal range of 24-52.5mm.
Lens Elements: The SEL1635GM has 16 lens elements in 13 groups, including two Sony XS (extreme aspherical) elements with 0.01 micron surface precision, three aspherical lens elements, and two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements. The lens' front element features a fluorine coating that helps prevent fingerprints and smudges on the lens. The coating keeps dirt from sticking, making it easier to wipe away. The lens also has Sony's Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting.
Focusing System: The lens features an advanced inner-focus mechanism with two Direct Drive Super Sonic-wave Motors (DDSSM). The focusing system quickly and accurately positions the large focusing elements inside the lens to give you precise and fast auto focusing.
Controls: The FE 16-35mm lens has two controls on the lens barrel: a focus hold button and an AF/MF switch. The focus hold button is customizable, and can be assigned other functions if needed. The AF/MF switch lets you switch between Auto Focusing and Manual Focusing.
Lens Hood: The SEL1635GM comes with the ALC-SH149 lens hood for blocking incidental light that may cause flare and ghosting to maintain optimum clarity and contrast.
- Focal Length: 16-35mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 24-52.5mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Angle of View: 107°-63° (35mm), 83°-44° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.92' (11.04")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.19x
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.495", Length 4.998" (5.521" with lens caps)
- Weight: 24 ounces