About the Vanguard Dynamics Vail Cast Universal Streaming Amplifier
A very versatile streaming amplifier
A very versatile streaming amplifier
If you try to keep track of everything the Vanguard Dynamics Vail Cast Universal Streaming Amplifier can do, don't be surprised if you lose count along the way. For starters, it provides 60 watts into two channels, with switchable 4- or 8-ohm operation for driving up to two pairs of speakers. It's an excellent option for a two-channel system in a single room, or you can install additional amps to create a convenient multi-zone whole-home audio system. But that's just the basics — to really get an idea of everything this amp can do, read on.
The Vail Cast has popular music streaming platforms built-in, including Apple AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in. And it features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for streaming from your phone or tablet. There's an Ethernet port on the back panel that allows you to connect directly to your home network, and the amp can even stream high-resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution.
The rear panel also offers several wired inputs and outputs. In addition to the Ethernet jack mentioned above, there's an optical digital input for connecting a compatible component or TV and a 3.5mm analog line input. A corresponding 3.5mm line output lets you pass signal to an external power amplifier or add a powered subwoofer to your system. A four-pin Phoenix-style output lets you connect one or two pairs of speakers.
The Vail Cast offers voice control via Siri, Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant, and there's an input for an IR receiver on the back panel. If you're connecting a TV, the manual helpfully walks you through the process of teaching the amp your remote commands, so you can use the remote you're accustomed to.
This amp is a sleek cube shape, and you can certainly place it on a desk or table if that's most convenient for you. If you'd prefer to flush-mount it in a wall, it comes with a wall bracket and decorative trim plate for that exact purpose. (The unit fits inside a standard double-gang low-voltage in-wall bracket, not included.) An optional rack-mounting kit is available if you'd prefer to add it to a rack with the rest of your gear. And don't forget — you can always add more amps and build out a multi-room whole-home sound system for your friends to marvel at.
- 2 x 60-watt stereo amplifier drives up to two pairs of speakers
- switchable impedance: 8 ohms for two speakers; 4 ohms for four speakers
- music streaming via Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Apple AirPlay 2, and Google Chromecast built-in
- voice control via Amazon Alexa , Google Assistant and Siri
- efficient Class D amplifier
- mounting options: desktop, in-wall, or rack-mounted (rack mounting kit optional)
- wall mount bracket and decora face plate included
- fits inside standard double-gang low-voltage in-wall trim ring (not included)
- wire management pass-through knockout
- front-panel source indicator lights for cast (streaming), optical, aux and Bluetooth
- front-panel volume up/down and mute buttons
- four-pin Phoenix-style Euroblock speaker output
- Ethernet port for connecting to your home network
- 3.5mm analog audio line input
- 3.5mm analog audio line output for additional amp or powered subwoofer
- optical digital input for connecting a digital music source or compatible TV
- plays digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution
- IR receiver input
- two-pin Phoenix-style Euroblock AC/DC power input
Dimensions and warranty:
- amplifier: 3-1/4"W x 2-3/4"H x 3-3/4"D
- trim plate: 4-5/8" x 4-5/8"
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # VAIL CAST
What's in the box:
- Wall-mount streaming amplifier
- AC power supply (attached 5.5' DC cord)
- 39" AC power cord
- IR receiver (attached 3' cable terminated by a male 3.5mm connector)
- Euro-type speaker connector block
- Wall-mount bracket
- Decora plate
- 4 Screws
- Two-sided tape
- Quick Start Guide
Customer reviews for Vanguard Dynamics Vail Cast Universal Streaming Amplifier
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Vanguard Dynamics Vail Cast Universal Streaming Amplifier
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||---|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||---|
|Bridged Power per Channel||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||---|
|Removable Power Cord||---|
In-Wall Stereo Amplifier: The VAIL Cast by Vanguard Dynamics is a high fidelity compact digital stereo amplifier for single zone or whole-house audio. The VAIL Cast can be used to amplify a pair of loudspeakers and connect to popular digital voice assistants, smartphones & tablets, desktop & laptop computers, or most any audio source with an analog or optical digital output. It is designed to be mounted in the wall, and fits inside a standard double gang bracket (sold separately) with the included wall mount bracket.
Class D Amplification: The VAIL Cast employs a 60 watt x 2 channel Class D amplifier. It features an 8-ohm/4-ohm impedance switch that allows the VAIL Cast amp to power a single pair of 4-ohm loudspeakers or two pair of 8-ohm loudspeakers.
Hi-Res Audio: The VAIL Cast in-wall stereo amplifier supports up to 2 channel stereo 24-bit/192kHz music files for Hi-Res audio playback.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The VAIL Cast in-wall stereo amplifier is outfitted with an analog 3.5mm stereo minijack input and an optical (toslink) digital audio input for connection of a TV and other external audio device. The optical (toslink) digital input supports 2ch stereo audio (up to 24-bit/96kHz). The optical (toslink) digital input does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multi-channel audio formats.
Note: The analog and digital audio inputs are "Local" and can only be played back on that particular VAIL Cast amplifier; they cannot be distributed to other VAIL Cast amplifiers in a multiroom audio setup. Either input is automatically selected when an audio signal is detected (overriding any source currently playing).
Speaker and Pre-amp Outputs: The VAIL Cast in-wall stereo amplifier features a detachable 4-pin "euro-type" speaker output connector block to connect your speaker wire (up to 14AWG). The 4-pin connector block does not support banana plugs. There is also an analog stereo 3.5mm minijack output that allows you to connect a powered subwoofer or use the VAIL Cast as a source for a separate amplifier or receiver.
Note: The same audio source, at the same volume is played back simultaneously from the speaker outputs and the stereo 3.5mm output.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The VAIL Cast can be connected to your home network router and ISP (Internet Service Provider) via a wired Ethernet or wireless WiFi connection. The unit will automatically connect to your network via a hardwired Ethernet connection. A wireless WiFi connection to your home network requires setup through a compatible Apple iOS device using the Apple Home App or an Android OS device using the Google Home App. Once connected to your home network and ISP, the VAIL Cast supports online services like AirPlay 2, Amazon Alexa, Chromecast Built-in, Spotify Connect, and DLNA.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the VAIL Cast amplifier and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the VAIL Cast amp. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the VAIL Cast amplifier.
Amazon Alexa: Use the VAIL Cast app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to connect the VAIL Cast amplifier to your Amazon account and stream music from an Amazon Alexa smart speaker (like the Echo, Dot, or Show - all sold separately) using voice control. You'll also need to download and setup the Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device. Once setup, you'll be able to ask Alexa on your smart speaker to play music from select music apps (such as Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, and others; subscription fees may apply) on the VAIL Cast amplifier.
Note: The VAIL Cast amp does not feature a built-in microphone and requires an external smart speaker with built-in Alexa and microphone.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the VAIL Cast amplifier. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device. Chromecast built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. You'll need to download the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) in order to setup Chromecast built-in.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the VAIL Cast amp. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, YouTube Music, and more Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the sound system. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser to the amplifier. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
- Google Assistant: With a Google Assistant voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+), you can use your voice to control Chromecast built-in apps. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the VAIL Cast amplifier from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
DLNA Compliant: Because the VAIL Cast amplifier is DLNA (ver.15) certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA compliant media server through the stereo receiver. It supports a variety of digital music files up to 24-bit/192kHz. Compatible music files include FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, MP3, WMA, and AAC.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth, you'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the VAIL Cast amplifier. You will need to initially pair your Bluetooth-enabled device with the VAIL Cast amp. You can pair multiple devices with the VAIL Cast, but only one source device can be used for playback at a time.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for answering and making phone calls.
Multiroom Audio Integration: Multiple VAIL Cast amplifiers can be installed in your home to configure a whole-house multiroom audio system. Multiroom audio is service and app dependent and controlled from the service's dedicated app and not the VAIL Cast amplifier. So you can set up multiroom audio on various VAIL Cast amplifier using the respective app - Apple Home (for AirPlay 2), Google Home (for Chromecast Built-in), or Alexa (for Amazon Alexa). A single VAIL Cast amplifier can only support one audio stream at a time.
Note: The VAIL Cast's analog and digital audio inputs are "Local" and can only be played back on that particular VAIL Cast amplifier; they cannot be distributed to other VAIL Cast amplifiers in a multiroom audio setup.
Mounting Options: The VAIL Cast amplifier is designed to be mounted in the wall or simply tabletop mounted. It fits inside a standard double gang bracket (sold separately) with the included wall mount bracket. It can even be mounted in the wall behind a TV to power custom speakers like in-wall/in-ceiling speakers or a passive soundbar and enjoy all your favorite shows, movies in high fidelity audio as well as stream from any music source.
- Amplifier Dimensions: 3.25" (w) x 2.75" (h) x 3.8125" (d)
- Decora Plate Dimensions: 4.6875" (w) x 4.6875" (h) x 0.125" (d)
- Overall Dimensions: 4.6875" (w) x 4.6875" (h) x 3.9375" (d)
Push Button Controls: The VAIL Cast in-wall amplifier features seven push-button controls. Control functions include Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Source Selection (Network / Bluetooth / Optical / Analog). There is no dedicated app for operation of the VAIL Cast amplifier, as it relies upon the compatible online music service and its respective app for music browsing, song/artist/info display, and playback control.
IR Receiver Input: The VAIL Cast is equipped with a 3.5mm IR input for connection of the included IR receiver, so you can control volume of the VAIL Cast from your TV's IR remote control when you have your television connected to the VAIL Cast's analog or digital input. See the User Guide for programming and learning instructions.
Power Requirements: The VAIL Cast in-wall amplifier comes with an external AC power adapter featuring an attached 5.5' DC cable and a 59" detachable AC power cord with IEC 3-prong connector that will need to be plugged into an AC power oulet or surge protector (sold separately).