About the Audiolab 6000A Play
A stellar integrated amp and music streamer
A stellar integrated amp and music streamer
The versatile Audiolab 6000A Play combines features from the company's 6000A integrated amp and 6000N Play music streamer. It delivers a clean 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms, and it's 4-ohm stable, so it can drive a wide range of speakers. A built-in premium ESS Sabre DAC reveals important musical detail when you listen to digital sources.
Connect the player to your home network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, and then you can play your collection of high-res music files and access internet streaming services. Built-in Bluetooth with high-quality aptX audio coding lets you stream from your phone, tablet, or computer. And the 6000A Play uses DTS Play-Fi for access to a huge selection of music and app-based control.
Compatible with major streaming services
Play-Fi's streaming app is compatible with popular music subscription services like Spotify Premium, TIDAL, HDtracks, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music and Napster. If you favor internet radio, there's also support for TuneIn, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM. Spotify fans can use Spotify Connect (subscription required) to stream self-curated playlists.
Multi-room wireless audio support
Because this player uses DTS Play-Fi, that means you can wirelessly play music throughout your entire home using compatible speakers and components from a range of manufacturers. The free Play-Fi app offers plenty of control — play the same song on all connected speakers, or play different songs in each room.
The Audiolab 6000A Play offers useful inputs and outputs, and three powerful antennas for wireless music streaming.
The 6000A Play is a fine centerpiece for a two-channel music listening setup. There are two optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs for connecting CD players, music streamers, or even a compatible TV. Analog music lovers have plenty of options, too. There are five stereo RCA inputs on the back panel, including a phono input for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge. If you decide to expand your system with a separate amplifier, a preamp output is provided. And there's a built-in headphone jack for private listening.
- 50 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at <1% THD
- 75 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- ES9018 Sabre32 32-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for high-performance playback of digital sources
- frequency response 20-20,000 Hz (±0.3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- three high-powered antennas
- large central OLED display
- remote control included
- detachable power cord
- connects to your home network via wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi
- maximum streaming resolution: 24-bit/192kHz
- stream from compatible services like Spotify Premium, TIDAL, HDtracks, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music and Napster (subscriptions may be required)
- internet radio available via TuneIn, iHeartRadio and SiriusXM (subscription required)
- DTS Play-Fi® app lets you wirelessly play music and create a multi-room music system with other Play-Fi speakers and components
- available for Apple iOS®, Android™, Kindle, and Windows® PC
- built-in Bluetooth® with high-quality aptX audio coding
- 2 optical and 2 coaxial digital audio inputs
- 5 stereo RCA audio inputs (including a phono input for use with a moving magnet cartridge)
- stereo RCA preamp output
- RJ-45 Ethernet port for making a wired connection to your network
- Type A USB port for service updates only
- built-in headphone amplifier with front-panel full-size (1/4-inch) jack
- one pair of binding posts for speakers
- 12-volt trigger in and out
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-9/16"W x 3-3/16"H x 13"D (including feet and terminals)
- weight: 17.41 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # 6000A PLAYBK
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- User Instructions
Customer reviews for Audiolab 6000A Play
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audiolab 6000A Play
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||50|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||75|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||76|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Built-in Radio Tuner||None|
|RCA Line-level Inputs||4|
|XLR Line-level Inputs||No|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|USB Input||Firmware only|
|Stereo Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Home Theater Bypass||Fixed|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years w/ Registration|
Discrete Class AB Amplification: The Audiolab 6000A Play's discrete Class AB power amp stage delivers 50W x 2Ch into 8 ohms or 75W x 2Ch into 4 ohms, with a maximum current delivery of 9 Amps into difficult loads. The output stage of the discrete power amp circuits uses a CFB (Complementary Feedback) topology, ensuring superior linearity and excellent thermal stability, as the idle current is kept independent of the temperature of the output transistors. A substantial 200VA toroidal transformer, followed by 4x15000uF reservoir capacity (60000uF in total), helps the amp to maintain firm control of the music and enabling excellent dynamic range.
Simple Preamp Circuitry: Much effort has gone into the physical layout of the 6000A Play's circuitry, protecting the sensitive preamp section from noise interference. The preamp section is kept as simple as possible to maintain signal purity, with line input signals passing to a precision analog volume stage. The volume range is from -78dB to +8dB in steps of 2dB and 1dB (step resolution increases with volume position).
Operation Modes: Although the 6000A Play is an integrated amplifier, it can also function as a separate preamp or power amplifier.
- Integrated Mode: In Integrated Mode, the preamplifier section and power amplifier are connected and both active. The unit's preouts are still operational in this mode, so a second power amplifier can be connected for bi-amplification or a powered subwoofer can be added to your speaker system.
- Pre-Power Mode: In Pre-Power Mode, the preamplifier section is internally disconnected from the power amplifier. The 6000A Play can then be used as a stand alone power amplifier in an AV setup. This mode can also be used if additional signal processing is required; connecting the preouts to an external signal processor and then take the output from the processor to the 6000A Play's Power Amp Input.
- Pre Mode: In Pre Mode, all signal to and from the power amplifier of the 6000A Play are disconnected. In this mode the 6000A Play functions only as a stand-alone preamplifier, so it can be connected to a stereo power amplifier or two mono-block amplifiers.
High-Quality DAC w/ Filters: The Audiolab 6000A Play's digital circuitry delivers the level of quality one might expect of a high-performance standalone DAC. The 6000A Play utilizes an ES9018 Sabre32 Reference chip DAC to perform D/A conversion, utilizing ESS Technology's 32-bit HyperStream architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator to deliver ultra-low noise and high dynamic range. The DAC in the 6000A Play has a choice of 3 digital filters.
- Fast: Standard flat response with fast frequency roll off above Fs/2 (half the sampling frequency).
- Slow: Starts rolling off at a lower frequency than the Fast filter, but has a more gentle rate of attenuation.
- Phase: Has a gentle attenuation slop similar to the Slow filter, but with minimum phase characteristics. It can be liked to an analog filter applied in the digital domain.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: The Audiolab 6000A Play offers built-in Bluetooth with support wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer to the 6000A Play integrated amplifier. In addition to supporting Bluetooth's standard SBC code, the 6000A Play integrated amp also supports Qualcomm aptX for "CD-quality" (44.1kHz/16-bit) sound from compatible source devices - such as Android smartphones and tablets, as well a Mac computers and laptops. You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices with the integrated amplifier, but only one device can be connected and used at a time.
- The unit offers no Bluetooth control; you'll continue to control music playback from your Bluetooth source device.
- The unit does not display Bluetooth information; you'll continue to use your Bluetooth source device for song/artist/album information.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Audiolab 6000A Play is outfitted with two optical (toslink) and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs for connection of a CD player, Blu-ray, media streamer, and/or TV. The digital inputs supports 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Note: The digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
Analog Inputs: The Audiolab 6000A Play is equipped with a total of five analog stereo RCA inputs. There is a power amp input, three line-level inputs, and one phono (MM) input.
- Power Amp Input: The Power Amp input bypasses the 6000A Play's preamp section and allows you to use the 6000A Play as only a power amp.
- Line-Level Inputs: The three line-level RCA input allow you to connect up to three analog audio source devices - such as a CD player, tape deck, and/or other component.
- Phono (MM) Input: The phono (MM) input lets you directly connect a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge without an external phono preamp.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Audiolab 6000A Play is outfitted with a set of binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). You can connect a pair of 8 ohm or 4 ohm loudspeakers.
Stereo RCA Preouts: The stereo RCA preouts can be used to connect an external power amplifier, powered subwoofer, or signal processor. The stereo RCA preouts are full-range.
Dedicated Headphone Amp: The Audiolab 6000A Play features a dedicated headphone amp and is outfitted with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack on the front-panel. When a set of headphones is connected the audio from the integrated amplifier's loudspeaker terminals is turned off. The dedicated headphone amp can support headphones with an impedance of 20 to 600 ohm.
Wired or Wireless Network: The Audiolab 6000A Play offers an Ethernet (RJ45) port and built-in, dual-band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) to connect to your home's network for access to internet radio, select online music services, and the music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device and Windows PC or DLNA/UPnP music server via DTS Play-Fi wireless technology. When using WiFi, a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker system to your wireless home network.
- You can perform WiFi setup via the Play-Fi app on your compatible mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network).
- You can also use the WPS button on back of speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The Audiolab 6000A Play employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound - up to 24-bit/192kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
- Supported Music Files: The Audiolab 6000A Play supports music file formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 24-bit/192kHz to a single speaker (Critical Listening Mode) or up to 16-bit/48kHz to multiple speakers (CD Quality). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
- Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi product and does not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Note: DTS Play-Fi offers an unparalleled selection of audio products for your home, from compact battery-powered speakers to powerful soundbars, built by the most respected audio brands in the business. Every single DTS Play-Fi product works perfectly with all the rest, regardless of brand, so you get a huge range of options to customize your home, and one simple, elegant listening experience.
Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS 9.0+, Android OS 5.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) is required to enjoy DTS Play-Fi wireless audio. From the app you can initially set up the Audiolab 6000A Play integrated amplifier, as well as add, link, and control multiple DTS Play-Fi speakers and players. You'll be able stream music directly from select music online services and internet radio stations, or music on your mobile device or computer to a single DTS Play-Fi product, group of DTS Play-Fi products, or all your DTS Play-Fi products through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Alexa Compatible: In addition to the Play-Fi app, the Audiolab 6000A Play supports voice control of select DTS Play-Fi music apps (such as Amazon, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, & Spotify Connect) from an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) that is connected to the same WiFi network. Voice control functions include initiating playback of an Artist, Album, Song, Station or Podcast from a compatible music app on a specific speaker/player or zone/room; as well a playback controls such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause/Resume, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat and Like/Unlike.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Built-in DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS & Android devices with the Play-Fi App installed.
- Music libraries from your Windows PC, Mac computer, Music Server, or NAS Drive via DLNA or UPnP
- Analog (including Phono) & digital audio inputs, as well as Bluetooth audio.
Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi and the Play-Fi app allows you to access a variety of online music apps and internet radio stations. Registration, subscriptions, and fees will apply.
- Amazon Music: Amazon Prime members can use Amazon's popular music service for free. A growing selection of over 2 million songs is always ad-free and on-demand, with curated playlists, personalized stations and unlimited skips. Upgrade to Prime Music Unlimited, and enjoy 10 million songs, weekly new releases, and more. Amazon Music HD is a new tier of premium quality music with more than 50 million songs in High Definition (HD) and millions of songs in Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD), the highest quality streaming audio available.
- Tidal: High Fidelity Music Streaming is Tidal’s hallmark. Every track on the service streams in premium audio format, with most in lossless CD quality or above. The service also boasts many exclusive new releases, artist-curated stations and in-depth features designed to complement the music offerings. Available to DTS Play-Fi users in the US and more than 50 other countries.
- Pandora: Listen free to music you’ll love, as Pandora's streaming service evolves with your tastes. Give songs a thumbs up or down, and your stations become more personal the more you listen. Enjoy the service at no charge with ads, upgrade to Pandora Plus for commercial-free streaming, or try Pandora Premium to add on-demand features and premium sound quality to your experience.
- SiriusXM: With over 150 channels of commercial-free music plus sports, talk, comedy, entertainment, news and more, it’s no wonder that Sirius XM is one of the most widely used premium streaming services in North America.
- Qobuz: Qobuz boasts 70,000 albums available for streaming at 24-bit/192kHz, with many more streaming at 16-bit/44kHz CD quality. The service also features in-depth artist profiles and editorial content.
- Deezer: With 43 million tracks, 100 million playlists, and a presence in 182 countries, Deezer literally covers the globe for its subscribers. Subscriptions start at $9.99/month, and include ad-free playback, premium audio quality, and more.
- iHeartRadio: iHeartRadio combines access to over 1,500 of the most popular live terrestrial and internet radio stations with unique live events and compelling custom features, like artist radio, personalized radio, and on-demand podcasts for free. Their new Plus and All-Access subscriptions allow you to pause, rewind, skip and save live radio content, stream on-demand music, and more.
- Napster: Napster is a premium, ad-free on-demand music service. With 30 million tracks, instant playlist creation, and anytime, anywhere access, Napster is justifiably popular on multiple continents with millions of subscribers.
- TuneIn: TuneIn is an Internet Radio service that gives you access to thousands of radio stations and podcasts around the globe.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify users (premium or free) to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Audiolab 6000A Play from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 50 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Mobile Device Music Libraries: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Apple iOS & Android device running the Play-Fi app. Up to eight separate wireless mobile devices running the Play-Fi app, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. The music files must be physically stored on the Apple iOS or Android OS device (not in the cloud).
DLNA/UPnP Compliant: The DTS Play-Fi system automatically discovers and indexes music from DLNA and UPnP servers on your network. DLNA and UPnP music servers can consist of a Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS Drive. You can select and stream files in multiple formats (MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV) via DTS Play-Fi, including premium tracks encoded at CD quality or even 24-bit/192kHz. lossless content.
OLED Screen: The front-panel OLED screen indicates source, volume, and menu information. The OLED screen does not support song/artist/album information.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the A6000A Play integrated amplifier and network audio player functions, as well as the Audiolab CD transport (sold separately).
Note: No batteries are included for the remote. The remote takes two "AAA" batteries.
USB Update: The rear-panel USB port can only be used for service and firmware update purposes.
Note: The USB port does not support any type of media playback or charging.
12V Trigger In/Out: The 6000A Play features a 12V trigger output and 12V trigger input. Each input consists of a 3.5mm minijack. The 12V trigger output can be used to control and synchronize the Power On/Off of another component with a 12V trigger input with the Audiolabs 6000A Play. The 12V trigger input can be used to control and synchronize the Power On/Off of the 6000A Play integrated amplifier with another component that features a 12V trigger output.
Auto Standby: The 6000A Play integrated amplifier will automatically enter standby mode after 20 minutes or 1 hour of no audio signal and control inactivity.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Audiolab 6000A Play comes with a detachable 6.5' IEC 2-prong AC power cord.
3 questions already asked