About the Epson EF-100
A smart little projector that's not finicky, just fun
A smart little projector that's not finicky, just fun
The EF-100 compact projector is based on a high-brightness light engine using Epson's newly developed MicroLaser Array Technology. It produces a startlingly bright, colorful picture from a trio of 1280 x 800 high-definition LCD imaging chips.
The EF-100 is considered a "lifestyle" projector, which means that it's easy to set up and use, and easily stored when you're done.
Android TV is built in for easy access to streaming services
The EF-100 has a single HDMI input, intended primarily for use with the supplied Android TV dongle. Viewing any source other than the streaming dongle requires removing it temporarily to free up the port. Do that if you want to connect a Blu-ray player or cable/satellite box. Two USB ports provide power for the dongle and access for firmware updates, but there's no built-in media player for displaying or listening to files from a USB stick.
Wi-Fi is built in, and for content streaming, the Android TV dongle supports popular services including Netflix®, YouTube, Hulu, and others.
Versatile sound and control options
The projector's sound options include a small 5-watt speaker located behind the rear grille, and a 3.5mm stereo output for connecting a set of headphones. The projector also features Bluetooth® aptX support for high-quality sound when wirelessly connecting to a compatible speaker or headphones.
The projector comes with two remotes: a Bluetooth/IR remote that controls the projector and the Android TV dongle, and a second Bluetooth-only remote that controls just the Android TV. The remotes each have a built-in microphone for making Google Assistant voice commands.
- 3-LCD, 3-chip technology with HD resolution (1280 x 800 pixels each)
- widescreen 16:10 aspect ratio (can also display 16:9 material)
- proprietary 9-element lens for exceptional image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity
- recommended image size: 22" to 150"
- short throw design (throw distance range: 2.2 to 13.4 feet)
- light output: 2000 lumens
- 2,500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- 1.35X zoom lens (powered zoom/manual focus)
- horizontal and vertical keystone correction (manual)
- 1 HDMI 1.4 for connecting to the supplied Android TV dongle, or to an external audio/video source
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- the included Android TV HDMI dongle must be plugged into the projector's HDMI input for signal, and into the microUSB connector for power
- stereo minijack output for connecting a set of headphones
- USB input for firmware updates only
- microUSB port provides power to the Android TV dongle
- detachable power cord
- built-in mono speaker (5 watts)
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker, sound bar, or set of headphones
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi to connect wirelessly to your home network
- built-in Android TV provides access to a wide range of online entertainment apps
- multi-array laser diode (lasts up to 20,000 hours in Eco mode)
- quiet cooling fan (26 dB in Eco mode)
- two remote controls with built-in microphones for Google Assistant voice control
- one remote controls the projector and Android TV dongle, the other controls only the dongle
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 10-1/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 9-1/8"D
- weight: 6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor (90 days on lamp)
- MFR # V11H914220
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- Android TV HDMI dongle
- 6' AC power cord
- 2 Remote controls
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Setup Guide
- Extra Care Home Service booklet
- Ceiling installation note
- Information Regarding Waste and Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
Customer reviews for Epson EF-100
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Epson EF-100
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||1280 x 800|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||N/A|
|Picture Size Range||22 to 150 inches|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2000|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||No|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|USB Media Port||0|
|Approximate Lamp Life||12000 hrs (20000 ex)|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
MicroLaser Array Projection Technology: The Epson EF-100 utilizes a unique multi-array laser diode technology that produces an exceptional level of brightness, while significantly enhancing black density. Based on this unique Epson MicroLaser Array Technology, the projector is capable of producing an incredibly bright and colorful image up to 150" on virtually any wall or dedicated screen. The Epson EF-100 mini-laser projector has a native resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels (WXGA).
- With its long-lasting maintenance-free laser light source, there is no need for frequent projector lamp changes for the lifespan of the projector. The laser light source can last up to 20,000 hours or everyday for ten years (based on watching content for five hours every day with the projector in Eco mode).
- Do not look into the lens during projection. Also, do not look into the lens using optical devices, such as a magnifying glass or telescope. This could cause visual impairment. When turning on the projector at a distance using the remote control, make sure no one is looking into the lens.
3-Chip LCD Technology: The EF-100 mini-laser projector also incorporates Epson's 3-chip LCD technology for amazing color, incredible detail and solid reliability. 3LCD's 3-chip architecture dedicates an entire chip to process each primary color - red, green, and blue, continuously. Unlike single-chip technology that delivers color sequentially, you get full-time color. The result is vibrant, realistic images and video all delivered with 3LCD's true-to-life color.
- True-to-Life Colors: 3LCD delivers up to 3x brighter colors in comparison with 1-chip DLP projectors. Color Brightness (Color Light Output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color Brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Additionally, 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Wider Color Gamut than 1-chip DLP projectors. With its 3-chip design, 3LCD delivers clear and vibrant images that are true-to-life. In contrast to 3-chip 3LCD projectors, 1-chip DLP projectors use a rotating color wheel that spins at a rapid speed, only displaying colors sequentially, which can result in color break-up or the "rainbow effect".
- Greater Detail & Contrast: 3LCD projection efficiently uses light to project to the screen with no color disruption. 3LCD technology delivers sharper and brighter images with superior grayscale detail. Grayscale is the shades of gray (from black to white) required for greater image depth and detail; it allows greater variation in shadows and brings superior accuracy to color, creating a jaw-dropping, true-to-life visual experience
- Energy Efficient: 3LCD projection technology uses light efficiently to create stunning images. In contrast to 1-chip technology, 3LCD requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness. 1-chip projectors use a color wheel, which leads to an inefficient design, thereby causing light loss. 3LCD does not rely on a color wheel. On average, 3LCD projectors are 25% more energy efficient.
- Simple & Reliable Design: 3LCD systems are reliable and use a simple optical design which includes 3 chips and 1 prism. Light flows seamlessly through the system to produce brilliant on-screen colors and sharp images every time.
High Brightness, Color, & Contrast: The projector's laser light source delivers bright and vibrant images even in daylight, with no need to turn the lights off or close the windows. Its capable of displaying high-definition content at an exceptional 2,000 lumens of brightness (for both color & white) with a high contrast ratio of 200,000:1, as well as reproduce up to 16.77 million colors with outstanding accuracy and vibrancy for an exceptionally rich and vivid picture.
Note: Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
High-Definition Mini-Cinema Lens: The Epson EF-100 features a high-definition mini-cinema lens that utilizes a proprietary 9-element lens structure for exceptional image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity. It features an electronic zoom (controllable from remote) and manual focus (controllable from projector).
- F-Number: 1.58
- Focal Length: 13.53mm
- Zoom Ratio: 1.0 - 1.35 (digital)
- Throw Ratio Range: 1.04 - 1.4
Image Correction: You can project an evenly rectangular image by placing the projector directly in front of the center of the screen and keeping it level. If you place the projector at an angle to the screen, or tilted up or down, or off to the side, you may need to correct the image shape for the best display quality.
- Keystone Correction: Vertical (+/-45 deg) and Horizontal (+/-40 deg) Keystone Correction can correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular.
- Quick Corner: You can use the projector's Quick Corner setting to correct the shape and size of an image that is unevenly rectangular on all sides.
Projection Image & Distance: This mini-laser projector has the ability to project at any angle with 360-degree flexibility, opening up many possibilities for projection, from watching movies on the living room wall to projecting them onto the ceiling of the bedroom. The Epson EF-100 can produce an image that is adjustable from 22" to 150" (measured diagonally). The projection distance (distance from lens to screen) range is only 2.2' to 13.4'.
|Screen Or Image Size (16:9 Aspect Ratio)||Projection Distance (wide to tele)|
|30"||26" to 36"|
|40"||36" to 48"|
|50"||45" to 61"|
|60"||54" to 73"|
|70"||64" to 86"|
|80"||73" to 98"|
|90"||82" to 111"|
|100"||92" to 124"|
|110"||101" to 136"|
|120"||110 to 149"|
|130"||120" to 161"|
Note: The distance at which you place the projector from the screen determines the approximate size of the image. The image size increases the farther the projector is from the screen.
Image Adjustment: Settings in the Image menu let you adjust the aspect ratio and quality of your image for the input source you are currently using. The available settings depend on the currently selected input source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select the following image aspect ratios (Auto, 16:9, Zoom, and Full), depending on the input signal from your image source. Black bands and cropped images may project in certain aspect ratios, depending on the aspect ratio and resolution of your input signal.
- Picture Modes: The EF-100 offers four color modes (Dynamic, Bright Cinema, Cinema, and Natural) to optimize viewing for different environments and image content. The Color Mode adjusts the brightness, contrast, and color for the best possible picture. A different color mode can be selected for each input source.
- Brightness Settings: In the Brightness menu you can adjust Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Dynamic Contrast, and Super White.
- Color Settings: In the Color menu you can adjust Color Saturation, Tint, White Balance, and RGBCMY.
- Sharpness Settings: The Sharpness menu lets you adjust Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and MPEG Noise Reduction.
Powered by Android TV: The Epson EF-100 is powered by Google's Android TV, allowing you to access Android TV, giving you access to a wide variety of online entertainment apps. The included Android TV HDMI dongle must be plugged into the projector's HDMI input for signal and microUSB connector for power. The Android TV HDMI dongle features 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for wireless connectivity to your home's network router and ISP (internet service provider).
- Content: Android TV provides access to your favorite apps such as Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Vudu, YouTube, Hulu, HBO Now, ESPN, Google Play, and more. Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV apps.
- Control: Android TV apps can be controlled via the included remote control. The remote offers dedicated buttons to quickly access Netflix, YouTube, and GooglePlay. The remote even features a built-in microphone so you can use your voice to search and select between Android TV apps. The remote must be paired with the projector prior to initial use.
Note: The EF-100 is not equipped with an Ethernet jack for a hardwired network connection.
HDMI 1.4 Input: The Epson EF-100 mini-laser projector is outfitted with a single HDMI 1.4 input that is used for connection of the included Android TV HDMI dongle. You can disconnect the dongle to connect an external audio/video source device such as Blu-ray player, satellite/cable box, game console, computer/laptop, or smartphone/tablet device. The HDMI 1.4 input supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i video signals; as well as 2ch and multichannel audio.
Note: Additional cable adapters (sold separately) may be required to connect your smartphone/tablet device or computer/laptop.
Audio Output: The Epson EF-100 features an integrated high-quality bass-reflex speaker with 4 Sound Modes to choose from (Standard, Vocal, Music, & Movie). Its also equipped with a stereo 3.5mm headphone out that allows you to connect a set of headphones. In addition, it offers built-in Bluetooth aptX so you can wirelessly stream high-quality audio from the projector to a wireless soundbar, speaker, or headphone.
Note: The unit's 3.5mm audio output is a headphone output and not line-level output. It should only be used to connect a set of headphones; not an AV receiver, soundbar, or powered speaker.
Remote Control: The Epson EF-100 comes with two remote controls and supports HDMI-CEC or HDMI Link.
- Dual Remotes: The EF-100 comes with two remote controls. The remote labeled "Epson" will operate the projector and the included Android TV HDMI dongle via Bluetooth. The other remote only operates the Android TV HDMI dongle via Bluetooth. Both remotes have a built-in microphone which allow you to operate Android TV apps via voice control. The projector has infrared receivers on the front and rear to give you control from most anywhere in the room (up to 16.4'). The remotes must be paired with the projector prior to initial use.
- HDMI Link: When you connect an HDMI CEC-compatible device, such as Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box, to the projector via HDMI, you can control the device using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the device you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
Mounting Options: The Epson EF-100 can be placed on a tabletop or inverted and mounted on the ceiling. It can be used for front or rear projection. For tabletop use, you can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the projector's foot. For ceiling mounting, you will need Epson's ELPMB60 projector ceiling mount (sold separately). A single M4x9mm threaded screw hole is provided on the bottom for the ceiling mount. A commercially-available Kensington security lock can be attached to the unit to prevent theft when installed in a public location.
Note: If you install the projector at altitudes above 4921', turn on High Altitude Mode to ensure the projector's internal temperature is regulated properly.
Firmware & Software Updates (via USB): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Epson's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty & Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.