About the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
At first glimpse, you might think this lens is just a typical zoom that comes standard with a great many cameras. But there's an important qualification on this lens. Note the f/2.8 descriptor — this means that this lens features a wide, light-gathering f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout its entire zoom range, giving it exceptional performance in low light. This means indoor, natural light shots will pop, and portrait-length shots (when you're zoomed all the way in) can highlight your subject against a creamy, blurred-focus backdrop. The large, meticulously crafted glass elements feature special coatings to reduce flaring and ghosting, and offer sharp, bright, saturated images with very little color fringing across the range. Image stabilization gives you even more performance in limited light, and the fast and quiet USM autofocus motor keeps your fleeting photo opportunities sharp and clear.
- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 27-88mm
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass lens element corrects chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range
- compatible with Canon APS-C format digital SLR cameras (not recommended for full-frame cameras)
- minimum focus distance: 14 inches
- minimum aperture: f22
- lens construction: 19 elements in 12 groups
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- weight: 22.8 oz.
- lens is 4-13/16" long, 3-5/16" in diameter
- front and rear lens caps included
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 1242B002
What's in the box:
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens
- E-77mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear Lens Cap (installed)
- Instructions on CD-ROM
- EF Lens Quick Guide
- Warranty/Product Registration card
- Canon Worldwide Locations sheet
Customer reviews for Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Average review:3.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Overview: The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is an EF-S series, fast standard zoom lens for Canon EOS cameras with APS-C sized image sensors. It presents a field of view equivalent to that of a 27-88mm lens in 35mm photography. The lens has a large, circular f/2.8 aperture, which produces a shallow depth-of-field and a pleasing background blur that draws attention to the subject.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The lens features shifting Image Stabilizer lens groups to compensate for camera movement so the image appears steady on the image plane, ensuring crisp, clear images, even in dim light.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing. Combined with inner focusing, and new AF algorithms, the lens achieves autofocus quickly and quietly.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the full-time mechanical focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way AF/MF switch on the barrel of the lens.
Optional Filters/Extension Tubes: The EF-S 17-55mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters, such as a Circular Polarizing Filter. You can also attach Extension Tube EF12 II for magnified shots.
Optional Lens Hood/Case: The optional EW-83J lens hood can be added to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. The optional LP1219 lens case will protect the lens when not in use.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 17-55mm f/2.8
- 35mm Equivalent Focal Range: 27-88mm
- Lens Construction: 12 groups, 19 elements
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Maximum Magnification: 0.17x (at 55mm)
- Field of View: approximately 8.1" x 12.2" to 3.5" x 5.2"
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 78° 30' to 27° 50'
- Vertical: 48° to 15° 40'
- Horizontal: 68° 40' to 23° 20'
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.2' (0.35m)
- Diameter: 3.288"
- Length: 4.753" (5.22" with caps)
- Weight: 22.7 ounces