About the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
An ultra-smooth prime for your Canon EOS R series mirrorless camera
Canon's RF 85mm f/1.2 lens lets you capture high-quality images and video with your EOS R series mirrorless camera. Great for natural-looking portraits, close-ups, and detail shots, this medium telephoto L-series prime lets you shoot at a relaxed distance from your subject. This lens excels in any lighting and is super-versatile thanks to its large maximum aperture.
- lens type: RF mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating on front and rear lens elements repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare
- Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics (BR) reduces chromatic aberration
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- control ring produces audible clicks for feedback when looking through viewfinder; clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider for a fee
- minimum focus distance: 2.79'
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 13 elements in 9 groups
- 1 aspherical element and 1 UD (ultra-low dispersion) element for sharp, dynamic images with excellent detail and contrast
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 82mm
- lens is 4-5/8" long, 4-1/16" in diameter
- weight: 2.63 lbs.
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and case
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 3447C002
What's in the box:
- RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens
- Lens cap E-82 II (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- ET-89 Lens hood
- LP1424 Lens case
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty/Registration card
Customer reviews for Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM
Overview: The Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 L USM lens is compatible with the new EOS R series full-frame and APS-C mirrorless cameras. On cameras with an APS-C image sensor, the lens provides a 136mm equivalent focal length range. This medium telephoto lens has a bright f/1.2 aperture and can focus as close as 2.79 feet (33.48"). It is ideal for portrait, wedding, and fashion photography, and works great in low-light situations. The lens comes with the ET-89 lens hood and LP1424 storage case.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 13 lens elements in 9 groups. It contains BR optics (Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics) to capture beautiful detailed photos with minimal chromatic aberration. It also has a large diameter ground Aspherical element for high image quality from center to corner, and one Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) glass element to help reduce aberrations for minimized distortion throughout the image plane.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Controls: The RF 85mm F1.2 L USM has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that lets you select AF (autofocus) or MF (manual focus). The Focusing Distance Range lets you shorten the actual autofocusing time when shooting subjects beyond 1.5 meters away. You can select "Full" Focusing Distance for focusing between 2.79 feet to infinity, or "1.5m-infinity" when shooting between 4.92' to infinity.
Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a control ring on the lens barrel, which can be assigned to functions that are commonly used on the camera. These functions include shutter speed and aperture settings, or exposure compensation. The ring has a clicking mechanism (with 54 clicks per revolution) that acts as a confirmation that the settings are being changed.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether the lens is set to manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually fine-tune the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The RF 85mm F1.2 L USM is equipped with a ring-type ultrasonic motor (USM) to drive the fast autofocus system.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the ET-89 bayonet-type lens hood which cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When attached to the lens, the hood adds approximately 2-1/2" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF 85mm lens has an 82mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Equivalent Focal Length (APS-C cameras): 136mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.2
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Maximum Magnification: 0.12x
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 13 elements in 9 groups
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.79 feet (33.48 inches)
- Angle of View: Horizontal: 24°, Vertical: 16°, Diagonal 28°-30'
- Field of View: Approximately 11.22" x 7.48" (at 2.79 feet)
- Dimensions: Diameter: 4.052" Length 4.878" (5.609" with caps)
- Weight: 42.15 ounces (2.63 pounds)