About the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
A versatile, lightweight lens for your Canon mirrorless
A versatile, lightweight lens for your Canon mirrorless
This super-compact, retractable Canon lens gives you flexible shooting options to capture crisp, clear images of whatever comes your way. It's lightweight as well, weighing in at a scant 4.6 ounces. It's the perfect lens choice to have mounted to your Canon R series mirrorless camera when you're not sure what's next — a bustling street scene, a selfie with your best friends, or a candid group shot.
With its low-noise, stepping motor (STM) autofocus system, this lens also excels at smooth autofocus and near-silent operation — especially helpful if you're shooting video with sound. Built-in image stabilization can help you take sharper photos, even in low light. Of course, the superb optical performance you've come to expect from Canon is still here in spades. Aspherical glass lens elements and special coatings make your images as sharp and artifact-free as they can be.
- lens type: standard zoom
- designed for use with Canon APS-C sensor EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length: 29-72mm
- compact, lightweight design
- stepping motor (STM) provides smooth and quiet continuous autofocus for video recording and shooting photos
- available full-time manual focusing (automatically overrides autofocus)
- minimum focus distance: 7.87" at 18mm
Design and construction:
- lens construction: 7 elements in 7 groups
- 2 aspherical elements for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range
- one ultra-low dispersion (UD) element
- Canon super spectra coating (SSC)
- 7 aperture blades
- optical image stabilization: 4 stops of correction (6 stops with EOS R7 in-body coordinated image stabilization)
- filter diameter: 49mm
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 2-3/4" in diameter, 1-3/4" long
- weight: 4.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 4858C002
What's in the box:
- RF-S 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens
- E-49 Lens cap (installed)
- Dust Cap RF (installed)
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Customer reviews for Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
Overview: The Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM is a compact standard-to-medium telephoto zoom lens designed for everyday use. It fits R-series mirrorless cameras, and was designed for cameras with the smaller APS-C images sensors. The lens offers 100% x 100% Dual Pixel CMOS AF coverage for APS-C sensors, found on the Canon EOS R7 and R10 cameras. The lens has a 35mm equivalent focal range of 29-72mm, and provides 80% x 80% Dual Pixel CMOS AF coverage in 1.6x crop mode on cameras with Full Frame sensors. Its unique lens retraction mechanism keeps the lens short, making it ideal to carry with you wherever you go. Its Optical Image Stabilization provides up to 4 stops of correction on most cameras, and up to 6 stops with EOS-R cameras with In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), such as the EOS R5.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 7 lens elements in 7 groups, including 2 aspherical lens elements for superb image clarity from the center to the edges of the frame, and 1 Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lens elements to reduce aberrations and distortion. The lens has Canon's Super Spectra Coating (SSC) minimizes ghosting and flare, and ensures a consistent color balance across all lens elements.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Dual Function Manual Focus/Control Ring: The RF-S 18-45mm lens features a dual-function manual focus ring/control ring. The electronic ring can be used for full-time manual focus, and has no physical limit to its rotation. In the connected R-series camera, you can switch the function of the ring to serve as a Control Ring. The control ring function lets you make a variety of adjustments, such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, or exposure compensation.
Stepping Motor: The lens is equipped with a Lead Screw-type STM (stepping motor) that provides smooth and quiet auto focusing. When you press the shutter button halfway, the stepping motor rotates the lead screw which moves the focus lens in and out. Because it operates in near silence, no focusing noise is picked up by the microphone when shooting video.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The RF-S 18-45mm lens features Optical Image Stabilization (IS) when mounted to a Canon EOS R series camera. The camera and the lens share data to dramatically reduce blur caused by camera shake while shooting still images and videos. Image Stabilization can be turned on or off with the switch on the lens barrel. When paired with the Canon R5 or R6 cameras, which have In-Body Image Stabilization, the effect of Coordinated IS is equivalent to 6 stops. On other EOS R and RP cameras, the optical image stabilization effect is equivalent to 4 stops.
Optional Lens Hood: The optional petal-shaped EW-53 bayonet-type lens hood (sold separately) cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When attached to the lens, the hood adds approximately 1" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF-S 18-45mm lens has a 49mm mounting thread on the front of the lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 18-45mm
- 35mm Equivalent Focal Range: 29-72mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 (at 18mm), f/6.3 (at 45mm)
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Maximum Magnification: 0.16x (at 45mm)
- Aperture Design: 7-blade circular
- Angle of View (Diagonal): 74° 20' to 33° 40'
- Lens Construction: 7 elements in 7 groups (2 Aspherical lens elements, 1 Ultra-low dispersion (UD) lens element)
- Filter Diameter: 49mm (screw-on type)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 7.87 inches (at 18mm)
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.7", Length 1.7" (2.336" with caps)
- Weight: 4.6 ounces