About the Samsung HW-S801B
Slim and powerful
The Samsung HW-S801B's delivers big home theater sound in a sleek package.
Slim and powerful
The Samsung HW-S801B is incredibly thin and space-efficient, but it still packs a punch with 9 built-in speakers, including up-firing drivers for overhead effects. It's also one of the world's first sound bar systems to support wireless Dolby Atmos. You can pass an Atmos signal from a compatible Samsung TV via Wi-Fi for panoramic home theater sound with less cable clutter.
The included compact subwoofer adds deep bass impact to match the on-screen action with its dual side-firing 7" woofers. It also connects wirelessly for easy placement. (Just remember, you'll need to plug the bar and the sub into an AC outlet.)
Samsung designed this bar to work seamlessly with their impressive QLED TVs, letting you control and adjust the settings for both the TV and the sound bar with the Samsung TV's remote. And Samsung's Q-Symphony feature lets the sound bar and your compatible TV's speakers play together for even bigger sound. (Q-Symphony requires a wired connection between the bar and TV.)
The HW-Q801B has a dedicated center channel to make quiet conversations easier to hear. Plus smart processing optimizes your sound settings and amplifies voices based on each scene you watch, keeping dialogue intelligible even at low volumes.
This sound bar system can receive a Dolby Atmos signal via Wi-Fi from your compatible Samsung TV for easy, immersive sound.
Helpful smart features
You can play your favorite tunes straight from your smartphone with the bar's built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. The HW-S801B also comes with Apple AirPlay 2® and Chromecast built-in for easy streaming.
With Amazon Alexa built-in, you can even control the sound bar with your voice. If you're an audio book addict like me, you can just say "Alexa, read my book" to pick up right where you left off.
Clear audio cues are key for competitive, immersive gaming. The HW-S801B's Game Pro mode automatically tracks directional sounds to match what's happening in the game world, including overhead effects, for a smooth gaming experience.
Bluetooth with just a tap
The HW-S801B's built-in Bluetooth can wirelessly stream your content directly from your phone. If you use a Samsung phone, you can just tap it on the bar to start casting audio (requires Android™ OS 8.1 and higher and the SmartThings app). Bluetooth also works for receiving stereo audio signals from a compatible Samsung TV.
Expand your system wirelessly
You can increase your movie-night drama with true wraparound sound effects and additional overhead support by adding the optional SWA-9500S wireless surround kit (sold separately). This kit connects wirelessly to the sound bar, so you only need to plug in to an AC outlet instead of running speaker wire across your room.
- ultra-slim sound bar and compact wireless subwoofer
- delivers 3.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- designed to complement Samsung QLED TVs
- Q-Symphony feature allows bar to synchronize with select Samsung TVs to create a fuller soundstage
- can receive a Dolby Atmos signal via Wi-Fi from your compatible Samsung TV
- SpaceFit lets compatible Samsung TVs process the audio signal based on your room for added clarity and immersion
- built-in Amazon Alexa voice control
- add the optional Samsung SWA-9500S wireless surround speaker kit (sold separately)
- 9 built-in drivers powered by a 130-watt amplifier
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- up-firing drivers for overhead effects
- Adaptive Sound optimizes the audio settings based on each scene to keep voices clear, even at low volumes
- Active Voice Amplifier (AVA) singles out dialogue and amplifies it for added clarity when loud room noise is detected
- Game Pro Mode adjusts audio settings to improve directionality, helping you keep track of important sound cues
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad®
- Spotify Connect and TIDAL Connect Hi-Fi music streaming
- built-in Dolby® decoding, including Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos
- supports DTS decoding, including DTS:X
- plays high-res audio files
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 45-3/4"W x 1-7/16"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight: 3.1 lbs.
- dual 7" side-firing woofers
- 200-watt built-in amplifier
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 9-3/4"W x 9-7/16"H x 9-7/8"D
- weight: 14.1 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI port (cable included)
- supports Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- USB port (service only)
- wall mount kit included
- One Remote function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- connect to compatible Samsung TVs with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
- compatible with Samsung SmartThings mobile app
- includes remote control
- total system power: 330 watts
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # HW-S801B/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-S800B)
- Wireless powered sub (PS-WB86B)
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- 61" microHDMI-to-HDMI cable
- Remote control (AH61-15047A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screw-holders
- 4 Screws
- 4 Anchors
- Wall-Mount Guide
- User Manual
- Using Remote Contro/Installation Precautions
Customer reviews for Samsung HW-S801B
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung HW-S801B
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||ARC|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Subwoofer Driver||7" Cone (2)|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||130|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||200|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||N/A|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Voice Control||Alexa built-in, Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.2|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||via Chromecast, Alexa|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11n|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||1-7/16H x 45-3/4W x 1-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||3.1 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||9-7/16H x 9-3/8W x 9-7/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||14.1 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The HW-S801B is a 3.1.2ch active soundbar speaker with dedicated front, center, and height channels so you get sound that virtually moves and flows all around you for a captivating, three-dimensional audio experience. The soundbar consists of 9 total drivers and a built-in 130 watt amplifier.
- Dolby Atmos via Acoustic Beam Technology: Experience panoramic sound from Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital with Samsung's innovative Acoustic Beam technology. Samsung's Acoustic Beam technology mixes and delivers the sound via a set of precisely placed openings at the top of the soundbar, so sound appears to come where the action is happening on screen. The sound will travel in sync with the motion on the screen, making you feel part of the action.
- DTS Virtual:X: The HW-S801B supports DTS and DTS Virtual:X. DTS Virtual:X uses proprietary audio processing techniques inside the soundbar to create spacious 3D sound (including the sensation of height) from any content, and without the need for in-ceiling speakers. You'll enjoy a wider, higher, more immersive audio experience from your favorite TV shows, movies, music, and sports.
- Because the HW-S801B does not feature dedicated surround or height channels, surround and overhead channels are mixed with the soundbar's left and right channels to create a matrixed 3D soundfield for Dolby Atmos and other compatible Dolby Digital and DTS multichannel audio formats.
- This system does not support DTS:X, DTS-HD, DTS-HDMA, or Dolby TrueHD.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features two side-firing 7" woofers inside an acoustic supsension (sealed) cabinet for tight, accurated bass. The woofer is powered by a built-in 200 watt amplifier for dynamic bass performance.
Sound Modes: The Samsung HW-S801B soundbar speaker system offers four different sound modes that can be used with a variety of content.
- Adaptive Sound: The S801B soundbar analyzes the sound signal to automatically deliver optimized sound based on each scene. Adaptive Sound lets you hear voices clearly at the lowest volumes, so even the most quiet conversations are heard.
- Surround: The Surround mode delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack. From nearly any corner of the room, the Surround mode blankets the listening area both sideways and up to screen level for a more immersive surround effect.
- Game: Connect your gaming console (Xbox one, PS4, Nintendo Switch) and compatible 2020-up Samsung QLED TV to the Samsung Q-Series soundbar to boost your gaming experience. Game Mode delivers optimized sound, while offering clear directional sound to gain the advantage.
- Stereo: Select Standard mode if you simply want to enjoy 2ch stereo playback.
Sound Technologies: The Samsung HW-S801B offers advanced sound technologies to make sure the soundbar system sounds great in any room.
- Q-Symphony: Q-Symphony synchronizes select 2021-2022 Samsung QLED TV speakers with the Q-Series soundbar speakers for fuller, more immersive, cinematic sound. This feature requires an HDMI connection (not compatible with Bluetooth). Compatible 2021-2022 Samsung QLED TVs include the Q60, Q70, Q80, Q85, Q90, Q800, Q900, Q950, and Frame TV series.
- SpaceFit Sound: SpaceFit Sound automatically calibrates sound to properly fill your room (space) when paired with a 2021-2022 Samsung QLED TV (Q70 Series and up).
- Active Voice Amplifier (AVA): Active Voice Amplifier (AVA) technology helps to emphasize the voices in each scene so you can hear every line of dialog more clearly.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-S801B soundbar system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- Voice Enhance: Voice Enhance amplifies dialog and vocals in movie and music soundtracks so they can heard better over sound effects and instruments.
- Night Mode: Night Mode compresses the dynamic range of the movie or music soundtrack, so there is less volume difference between soft and loud passages when watching late at night.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the soundbar's Bass & Treble from - to +6 to tailer the sound more to your preference.
- Channel Level: You can independently adjust the volume level of the center, top, and subwoofer channels from -6 to +6.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a TV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: Turn the Samsung HW-S801B into a complete surround sound system with optional rear Samsung speakers ( SWA-9500S; sold separately) without the mess of wires for a cinematic experience. Together, the HW-S801B and Samsung rear speaker kit, creates a 3.1.4 channel system for a truly immersive Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound experience. The SWA-9500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of two wireless powered rear speakers. Each wireless powered rear speaker does have to be connected to an AC wall outlet.
Mounting Options: The slim Samsung HW-S801B's soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets or simply placed on a table-top. Leave at least 2.0" of clearance between the top of the soundbar and your TV. The wireless powered subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room (up to 32.8' away from soundbar) to achieve maximum audio performance.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The active soundbar comes with an AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord) and detachable 5' AC power cord, while the wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
microHDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Samsung HW-S801B is equipped with one microHDMI ARC output and comes with a microHDMI-to-HDMI cable to connect the soundbar to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The microHDMI ARC output allows audio from your TV to be sent through the soundbar system. The microHDMI ARC output supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, and DTS.
- Some televisions will only pass 2ch PCM through the ARC-enabled HDMI input from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, and will only pass Dolby Digital via the TV's built-in tuner, network apps, or USB.
- The microHDMI ARC output only supports audio transmission and does not support any type of video signals.
- The microHDMI ARC jack does not support DTS:X, DTS-HD, DTS-HDMA, or Dolby TrueHD.
- The HW-S801B is outfitted with a microHDMI jack and not a standard full-size HDMI jack (a microHDMI-to-HDMI cable is included).
- The HW-S801B is not equipped with an analog input or optical digital input.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Samsung HW-S801B features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless connection between the soundbar speaker system and your Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices for wireless music streaming, as well as a wireless connection between the soundbar speaker and Bluetooth A2DP enabled TVs. The HW-S801B's Bluetooth function has a wireless range of approximately 32.8'.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-S801B and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. You can even connect two different Bluetooth source devices at the same time and seamlessly switch between both devices. The HW-S801B's remote can be used to control Play/Pause and Skip functions (advanced music navigation is still handled from your Bluetooth source device. The HW-S801B does not display song/artist information (song/artist info is still viewed on your Bluetooth source device).
- Wireless TV Connection: You can simplify the installation of the HW-S801B by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled TV and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar to a Bluetooth A2DP enabled TV. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
- Tap Sound (For Android): Tap Sound automatically connects your compatible Android mobile device to the soundbar via Bluetooth. Simply tap the top of the HW-S801B soundbar with your compatible Samsung mobile device to play audio from your mobile device through the Soundbar. The Tap Sound feature must be setup within the SmartThings App on your compatible Android mobile device. Tap sound is only compatible with select Samsung mobile devices with Android OS 8.1 and above (not compatible with Apple iOS and other mobile devices).
Network & Internet Integration
WiFi Certified: The Samsung HW-S801B features built-in 2.4GHz/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11b/g/n) for a wireless network connection to your home's network WiFi router. A wireless WiFi network connection is required for Amazon Alexa, Chromecast Built-In, and Apple AirPlay 2, as well as Spotify Connect. The speaker system is not equipped with an Ethernet jack for a hardwired network connection.
Alexa Music Services: The Samsung HW-S801B offers built-in Amazon Alexa with support for hands-free access and voice control of select online music services. Use your voice to access and control your favorite online music services - such as Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Tidal, Spotify, and more. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
- WiFi setup will be done using the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 7.0+) on your compatible mobile device.
- You'll also need to download the Amazon Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
Note: To use Amazon Alexa, you must agree to Amazon's Privacy Statement.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Samsung soundbar system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the soundbar speaker system. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Samsung HW-S801B system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Samsung HW-S801B. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the soundbar, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device. Chromecast built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. You'll need to download the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) in order to setup Chromecast built-in.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the soundbar speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the speaker system.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, YouTube Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the sound system. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser to the soundbar. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
- Google Assistant: With a Google Assistant voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 6.0+), you can use your voice to control Chromecast built-in apps. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger.
Note: To use Chromecast built-in, you must agree to Google's Privacy Statement.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Samsung HW-S801B from within the Spotify app from your Apple iOS or Android OS device, as well as your Windows PC or Mac computer. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. Spotify offers free and paid services.
Built-In Alexa With Microphone: The Samsung HW-S801B features built-in Alexa with an integrated microphone. Now you can control the soundbar system with just your voice. You can ask "Alexa" to turn on/off the system, change the input source, select an online music service, set the volume level, mute the volume, and stop playback. You can also use the HW-S801B's built-in Alexa like any other Alexa Echo device and ask non-soundbar related commands (like information about the weather, traffic, news, sports, etc) or have Alexa control your smart home devices.
- You'll need to download the Amazon Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- In the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 7.0+), you will need to change the Soundbar's name to one that can be recognized by Amazon Alexa.
- The Amazon Alexa Voice control feature requires that the Samsung soundbar be connected to your home's WiFi network router and internet service provider.
- To use Amazon Alexa, you must agree to Amazon's Privacy Statement.
SmartThings App: Use the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 7.0+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into a remote control for the HW-S801B system. You can also use the app to access internet radio and select online music services, as well as music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device. In addition, the SmartThings app is used to connect the HW-S801B system to your WiFi network and enable Amazon Alexa compatibility with an Amazon Echo device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).Firmware & software updates are also done through the SmartThings app.
Remote & Top-Panel Controls: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-S801B system. There are also top-panel controls (including Power, Source, and Volume) on the soundbar speaker.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-S801B system is connected to a Samsung Smart TV (released in 2017 or later), the soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings, as well as the volume and mute. You can also program Sony, LG, Vizio, Sharp, Panasonic, and Toshiba TV remotes to control Power/On Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute functions of the HW-S801B soundbar system.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung HW-S801B soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Bluetooth Power On: If a previously paired Bluetooth device (including a Samsung SoundConnect compatible TV) tries to pair with the soundbar when the Bluetooth Power On function is activated and the soundbar is turned off, the soundbar turns on automatically.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the HW-S801B soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.