About the Samsung LN32A550
If you're looking for a smaller-screen TV with the flawless image detail usually only found on larger models, Samsung's LN32A550 delivers vibrant images in "Full HD" 1080p resolution. For most HD broadcasts, and especially for high-def discs, you need a 1080p display like this one to fully appreciate that you-are-there detail and depth. Built-in tuners give you easy access to both digital and analog over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required). And the "QAM" digital cable tuner lets cable TV subscribers watch unscrambled channels without using a separate set-top box.
Pictures with high-impact color and contrast
High-definition sources look spectacular on the LN32A550, and standard-definition sources look great too, thanks to Samsung's powerful image processing that enhances contrast and detail while reducing noise. Wide Color Enhancer optimizes hues, so colors look rich and vibrant, yet very natural. Samsung also improved their TVs' contrast and black level performance. Dark scenes often look washed-out on LCDs when you turn down the room lights, but not on this model.
A wide array of inputs for versatile viewing
With three HDMI and two component video inputs, it's easy to add multiple high-definition video sources like an HD satellite tuner or video game console. The LN32A550's HDMI connections include "CEC" control capability, which lets you operate other compatible HDMI-equipped Samsung components using only the TV's remote. You can also super-size the view from your laptop by plugging it into this set's PC input. And the USB port makes it easy to share digital photos stored on a thumb drive with friends and family.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
- 31.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 5-millisecond pixel response time
- 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- DNIe digital video processing
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- illuminated multibrand remote control
- Anynet+ simplifies remote control for compatible Samsung components (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video (side)
- 1 S-video (side)
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 3 HDMI v1.3 (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- side USB port for digital photo/MP3 playback
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 19-7/8"W x 10"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 31-1/2"W x 20-1/4"H x 4-1/4"D (22-1/2"H x 10"D on stand)
- weight: 28.9 lbs. with stand; 24 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- MFR # LN32A550
What's in the box:
- 32" LCD TV
- Wireless remote control (BN59-00673A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 68" AC power cord
- Ferrite core
- Bottom cover (used when wall mounting)
- Screen cleaning cloth
- User manual (English/Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- Screen cleaning instructions
Customer reviews for Samsung LN32A550
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung LN32A550
Integrated HDTV Tuner: The TV has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV signals. The TV also has a 181-channel NTSC analog tuner. An additional QAM tuner decodes unscrambled digital cable signals.
Native Resolution: The LN32A550 has a display resolution of 1920 x 1080 and scales all inputs for display at 1080p. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p signals. The component inputs also accept 480i signals.
15,000:1 Dynamic Contrast: The dynamic contrast ratio is 15,000:1; giving you brilliant brightness, contrast, and detail from both PC and TV images. While viewing either very bright or very dark scenes, it can be difficult to distinguish main images which blend into the background. Dynamic contrast mitigates this problem by adjusting the backlight intensity, providing a dramatic improvement in contrast.
Digital Natural Image Engine (DNIe): Samsung's exclusive Digital Natural Image engine dramatically improves the picture by enhancing the contrast, detail, and white balance, and reducing noise. DNIe can be turned on or off.
5ms Response Time: The LCD television's ultra-fast five-millisecond response time means smooth, crisp fast-action video.
Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL): This Samsung LCD HDTV uses Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) backlights to ensuring true, vivid colors.
Picture Control: Each input saves its own setting:
- Standard: optimizes picture for the typical environment
- Dynamic: adjusts for a bright room
- Movie: adjusts for a darker room
- Custom: manually adjust
and store the following settings:
- Tint (G/R)
- Color Tone: adjust the
overall color tone using one of five presets:
- Cool 1
- Cool 2
- Warm 1
- Warm 2
- Black Adjust: screen depth
is adjusted using Black Level, settings include:
- Off: turns off the black adjust feature
- Low: sets black color depth to low
- Medium: sets black color depth to medium
- High: sets black color depth to high
- Digital Noise Reduction: If the broadcast signal received by the TV is weak, you can adjust the DNR feature to help reduce any static and ghosting effects that may appear on the screen. Settings include off, low, medium, high, and auto.
- HDMI Black Level: the black level can be set to Normal or Low when using an HDMI input
- Dynamic Contrast: adjust
contrast to optimize the picture:
- Off: turns off the dynamic contrast adjustment feature
- Low: sets dynamic contrast to low
- Medium: sets dynamic contrast to medium
- High: sets dynamic contrast to high
- Gamma: adjust the primary color intensity
- Color Space: select the
color space for the most natural color:
- Auto: automatically adjusts color tone based on the program source
- Native: deep, rich color tone
- Custom: adjust red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, and magenta to suit your preference
- White Balance: adjust the
color temperature for more natural colors
- R offset: adjusts red color darkness
- G offset: adjusts green color darkness
- B offset: adjusts blue color darkness
- R gain: adjusts red color brightness
- G gain: adjusts green color brightness
- B gain: adjusts blue color brightness
- Reset: return to factory default
- Flesh Tone: emphasizes the pink flesh tone in the picture
- Edge Enhancement: edge enhancement emphasizes the boundaries of an object, it can be turned off if you prefer
- xvYCC: provides a wider color space when used with xvYCC-compatible video components and content; using HDMI or component video connections
Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- 16:9: sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode
- Zoom 1: proportionally enlarges the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote
- Zoom 2: proportionally enlarges the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote
- Wide Fit: changes the aspect ratio of the picture to fit the entire screen
- 4:3:sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen
- Just Scan: see the full 720p, 1080i, or 1080p image with no resizing when a high definition input is used
Input Source Names: You can assign a preprogrammed name to each of the inputs. When input naming is completed, you will no longer have to remember which component is connected to each input when selecting a source to watch. Source names include VCR, DVD, D-VHS, Cable STB, HD STB, Satellite STB, PVR STB, AV Receiver, Game, Camcorder, PC, TV, IPTV, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and Digital Media Adapter.
Channel Labels: Each analog channel programmed into memory can be labeled with a name up to 5 characters. Digital channels names are already assigned and cannot be edited.
Favorite Channel: You can create a list of your favorite channels and recall the list using the FAV.CH button on the remote.
Digital Closed Captioning: You can customize the closed caption display characteristics by changing the background color, foreground color, text size, and font when viewing digital channels.
PC-Capable: This unit has a 15-pin D-Sub (RGB) input that allows you to use it as a high-resolution computer monitor. The HDMI 2 input can also be used with a computer. The TV can be set to automatically adjust to the video signals received, or you can use the setup menu to adjust the screen quality and position. No cables are supplied for connecting the TV to a PC.
Entertainment Mode: The display can be optimized for Sports, Cinema, or Game mode.
Film Mode: You can manually set the frame rate to film (vs. video) when using the TV tuner or the line inputs.
Blue Only Mode: This function displays the blue signal only, removing the red and green signals from the video signal to provide a Blue Filter effect; used to adjust the Color and Tint of video equipment such as DVD players, Home Theaters, etc. Using this function, you can adjust the Color and Tint to preferred values appropriate to the signal level of each video device using the Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, or Yellow color bar patterns, without using an additional Blue Filter.
Picture-In-Picture (PIP): The Picture-In-Picture feature allows you to view an analog TV broadcast on the PIP screen (sub-picture) when the main picture is from an outboard source connected to the HDMI, component video, or PC input. The TV has only one tuner, so you cannot watch two TV channels at the same time.
Digital Signal Strength Meter: The digital signal strength meter can be used to help you find the antenna position that delivers the highest HDTV digital signal strength.
Analog Channel Fine Tuning: The fine tuning feature allows you to manually adjust analog channels for optimal reception. A separate fine tuning setting may be put into the TV's memory for each analog channel.
Automatic Sound Settings: You can choose from the following sound settings:
- Standard: resets the standard factory settings
- Music: emphasizes music over voices
- Movie: for watching movies
- Speech: emphasizes voices
- Custom: adjust the 5-band EQ; 100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz
- SRS TruSurround XT: TruSurround is a patented SRS technology for playing 5.1 multi-channel content using only two speakers, it delivers a virtual surround sound experience through two speakers (internal or external), it is fully compatible with all multi-channel formats
Auto Volume: Auto volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels.
V-Chip: The V-Chip feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children based on the user selected parental guidelines. The user must enter a 4-digit password before any of the V-Chip restriction are set up or changed.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
On/Off Timer: The On/Off timer allows you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. You can also choose the channel and volume. Select from a Once, Everyday, Monday-Friday, Monday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, or Manual repeat.
Energy Saving Feature: This feature adjusts the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. You can select from the following Energy Saving modes: Low, Medium, High, Auto, or Off.
Detachable Stand: The LN32A550 comes with a table-top stand for easy placement on top of a counter or table. On the stand, the TV can swivel 20° left or right.
Wall Mounting: You can remove the stand and mount this display on the wall using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has four threaded screw holes spaced to accommodate many universal wall mount brackets. The hole spacing is 200mm x 200mm and requires four M6 (6mm) machine screws
Kensington Lock: When mounting the monitor in a public place, you can secure it with an optional anti-theft device called a Kensington Lock. This TV has a slot on the rear panel to accommodate a Kensington Lock device.
Illuminated Remote: The supplied remote control is designed to operate the Samsung LCD television and compatible Anynet+ components. You can use the remote control up to a distance of about 23 feet from TV with a direct line of sight. The remote features an illumination button that backlights the buttons when pressed. The buttons only remain lit for a few seconds, then turn off to save power. This function is convenient for using the remote in a dark room.
Anynet+: Anynet+ is an AV network system that enables you to control compatible devices with your Samsung TV's remote. The Anynet+ system can be used with Samsung AV devices that support the Anynet+ feature and are connected using HDMI cables. The Anynet+ feature must be turned on in the menu to function. Anynet+ can support up to 12 AV devices in total (up to 3 devices of the same type).
Side Panel Inputs: The LN32A550 features a set of jacks on the side panel for easy connection:
- HDMI 3
- Wiselink: USB port for firmware updates and playing music or picture files
- A/V in 2: S-video, composite video, RCA stereo audio
- Headphone: 3.5mm, the TV's internal speakers are muted when you plug in headphones
HDMI: There are three HDMI terminals, two on the rear panel and one on the side. HDMI 2 can be used for a DVI-equipped component, it has a separate analog audio connection; a DVI-to-HDMI adapter will be needed. HDMI 2 can also be used to connect a computer. The HDMI jacks accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p signals.
PC: This input consists of a stereo mini-jack and an analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack.
Component Video Inputs: The 2 sets of component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. Component Video 1 can also be used as a composite video input.
Digital Audio: The optical digital output on the rear panel will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM.
Audio: The TV's internal speakers can be turned off in the menu. Audio is output from the optical digital and analog RCA jacks at a fixed level whether the internal speakers are on or off.