About the GoldenEar ForceField 40
Agile, powerful bass from a compact sub
The ForceField 40 hits hard, delivering accurate bass that helps you feel your favorite movies and music.
Agile, powerful bass from a compact sub
GoldenEar has updated their space-efficient ForceField subs with upgraded electronics inspired by their impressive SuperSub lineup for cleaner, extended low frequencies. The ForceField 40 packs a heavy punch while revealing subtle low-frequency details, serving up bass that's perfect for dedicated music listening and movie night in equal measure.
The sub's long-throw 10" woofer has a computer-optimized, ultra-stiff fiber cone and a massive high-gauss magnet assembly. It's driven by a tremendously powerful 1,200-watt RMS amplifier, which uses DSP (digital signal processing) to minimize distortion in real time. And a down-firing 11" x 13" quadratic planar radiator extends low frequencies all the way down below the range of human hearing.
GoldenEar's engineers have an eye for detail, and it adds up in the ForceField 40's construction. Thick cabinet walls and a curved, extended top panel keep resonance and distortion down to a minimum. The perforated metal grille is acoustically transparent, and soft, vibration-absorbing feet provide noise isolation. The feet also maintain just the right distance between the floor and the passive radiator to maximize low-frequency output.
Simple setup and control
The ForceField 40 has a dedicated LFE input that hooks up to the subwoofer output of your home theater receiver. That input jack also serves as one channel of the sub's stereo line-level input, which you can use when connecting to integrated amps and stereo receivers. Using the built-in variable low-pass crossover, you have control over what frequencies the sub plays when using the left/right line-level connections.
Who is GoldenEar?
Since their founding in 2010, GoldenEar has racked up rave reviews across the audio industry for their high-tech speaker lineup and cutting-edge design philosophy. The company's goal is to create speakers that sound better than comparable models costing three, four, or even five times more. Their signature sound includes pinpoint stereo imaging, a spacious three-dimensional soundstage, and ultra-low distortion. Each of GoldenEar's custom-designed drivers, passive radiators, and carefully tuned cabinets help create an ultra-immersive listening experience with your favorite albums and movie soundtracks.
- built-in 1,200-watt RMS Class D amplifier
- DSP (digital signal processing) monitors the signal in real time for clean, precise bass
- front-firing 10" long-throw woofer
- 11" x 13" quadratic planar down-firing passive radiator
- bass reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- thick cabinet walls and curved top panel minimize resonance
- acoustically transparent perforated metal grille
- frequency response: 14-250 Hz
Connections and controls:
- left/right line-level inputs
- left input doubles as a LFE (mono-RCA) connection for use with a home theater receiver's sub output
- variable low-pass filter: 40-150 Hz
- auto on/off
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 13-5/16"W x 14-7/8"H x 19-1/16"D
- weight: 40.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (woofer); 3 years (amp)
- MFR # EKEA
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 10' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Owner's Manual
Customer reviews for GoldenEar ForceField 40
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoldenEar ForceField 40
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1000|
|Frequency Response||14-250 Hz|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
ForceField Series: GoldenEar Technology's ForceField Series powered subwoofer has been designed and engineered from the ground up to combine subtle musical detail with high-impact power - all in an attractive, compact enclosure which blends well into practically any room.
1200W Class D Amplifier: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 40 powered subwoofer employs a 1200 watt Class D amplifier for dynamic bass performance. The ForceField Series subwoofer amplifier is designed in-house by GoldenEar Technology's engineering team, so each is the perfect amp to power its specific subwoofer model.
- DSP (Digital Signal Processing): The ForceField Series powered subwoofer's cutting-edge amplifier design employs state-of-the-art Analog Devices DSP for frequency shaping so the subwoofer produces accurate, consistent and musical bass performance without distortion or damage from overdriving.
- MOSFET Output Stage: GoldenEar Technology's Class D amplifier uses a MOSFET output stage and improved implementation that results in greater power-transfer and increased efficiency.
High-Output Woofer Coupled To An Infrasonic Bass Radiator: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer combines a high-power, front-firing, ultra-long-throw woofer coupled to a down-firing quadratic planar infrasonic radiator. This configuration brings together the superior transient response and detail of a moderately sized active driver with the subsonic capability and extraordinary room-filling coupling of a large diaphragm radiator.
- 10" Long-Throw Woofer: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 40 powered subwoofer houses a custom-designed, high-output 10" long-throw woofer with a very large motor assembly. The 10" woofer is front-firing and can handle massive power, has very long excursion, plus offers ultra-low distortion.
- 11" x 13" Passive Radiator: The 10" woofer's bass response is enhanced with a carefully tuned, down-firing, quadratic-shaped passive radiator that measures 11" x 13". The quadratic shape allows the radiator to use maximum surface area on the bottom of the cabinet and get even greater bass output that results from the subwoofer's interface with the floor.
Rigid MDF Cabinet:: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer uses a rigid MDF cabinet finished with a black polymer exterior. Increased wall thickness prevents the absorption and smearing of important bass transient information for more greater impact. This attractive cabinet features rounded corners to minimize standing waves and prevent unwanted distortion. As a result, you'll hear extraordinarily deep and accurate bass that is ideal for music and movie soundtracks
- Metal Grilles: The MDF subwoofer cabinet features pre-installed black mesh metal grilles over the front-firing woofer and down-firing passive radiator. Both of the metal grilles are non-removable.
- Isolation Feet: The soft, energy-absorbing feet pre-installed on the bottom of subwoofer cabinet serve a number of functions. First, they hold the subwoofer at the correct distance off the floor so the down-firing passive radiator creates significantly increased output at the lowest frequencies. Second, the soft feet keep the subwoofer from moving around on the floor.
Rear-Panel Controls: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered sub is equipped with operating controls on the back-panel to ensure excellent flexibility and maximum performance in practically any installation or application.
- Volume Output Level: The volume output level control is used to balance the powered subwoofer's output level to blend better with the other speakers in your home audio system.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover controls the subwoofer's upper-frequency cut-off, which can be set between 40 and 150 Hz (12dB per octave). The low pass crossover is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers when the subwoofer is connected using the speaker-level inputs.
Note: There is no Phase switch on this powered subwoofer.
Stereo RCA & LFE Inputs: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 40 powered sub is outfitted with line-level stereo RCA and LFE (Low Frequency Effect) inputs. The LFE input is shared with the "Left" input of the Stereo RCA input. There is a switch on the rear-panel that lets you select between Stereo or LFE.
- LFE: The Level LFE Input (shared with the "Left" input of the stereo RCA input) can be used to connect the powered subwoofer to to the LFE Out/Sub-Out on your AV receiver or preamp/processor. The powered sub's Low Pass Filter should be set to "Bypass", since the LFE signal's bass management is controlled from your AV receiver or preamp/processor.
- Stereo RCA: The stereo RCA input can be used to connect the powered sub to the main-out or pre-out on your AV receiver or preamp/preamplifier. The setting of the powered sub's Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through the stereo RCA inputs.
Note: There are no speaker-level inputs and outputs, as well as no line-level inputs on this powered sub.
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered subwoofer between your front speakers or beside one of them and close to the front wall will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the image and soundstage of your stereo or multichannel speaker system.
- For maximum output, the powered subwoofer should be placed close to a wall. Corner placement will increase the subwoofer's output, but may also exaggerate room nodes (peaks in frequency) causing muddy, ill-defined bass performance in the room.
- Because of its unique low-frequency radiation properties, the ForceField powered sub can even be placed inside a cabinet or cavity and still provide excellent in-room performance. Just be sure to leave at least 2" of clearance on the front of the subwoofer.
- The use of two subwoofers will enhance your system's performance by providing a smoother and more consistent room response. With two subs, it is recommended that you locate the subwoofers out of the corners on the same side of the room as the main speaker of the same channel, or one in the front of the room and one in the rear of the listening room.
Auto Power On/Off: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered subwoofer will turn on when it receives an audio signal at its line-level or speaker level inputs. If no signal is sensed for a period of time, the powered subwoofer will automatically switch off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Golden Technology ForceField powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 10' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
The GoldenEar ForceField 40 replaces these items
- built-in 1,200-watt RMS digital amplifier
- front-firing 10" long-throw woofer and 11" x 13" down-firing passive radiator
- frequency response: 14-250 Hz