About the HiFi Rose RS150B
Innovative high-performance streamer
Innovative high-performance streamer
The RS150B's solid build, exceptional sound and video quality, and sleek touchscreen interface set it apart.
I never thought that a touchscreen would have any place in my stereo system. After spending some time with HiFi Rose's RS150B streamer, I wonder why more streaming components don't have them.
HiFi Rose's onboard customized Android™ OS gives the premium streamer/DAC/preamplifier a user-friendliness that will feel intuitive to mobile users in general. Audiophiles will appreciate its authoritative but smooth sound. I also love the cool touchscreen features, like the functional virtual back panel for switching inputs and outputs and the virtual VU meters.
I grew up playing vinyl, and then CDs. Streaming was a hard sell, but at this point I see it as an amazing — sometimes overwhelming — and necessary asset. App control across the different platforms isn't always intuitive — it's still the main reason my wife rarely opts for streaming music when she's picking out something to play.
The RS150B feels different. It connects to your internet via Ethernet or the included Wi-Fi dongle. Whether you're using its front-panel touchscreen apps or the free RoseConnect Premium app for Apple® and Android devices, the interface is user-friendly. The way it organizes your different sources — from streaming services including TIDAL, Qobuz, and Spotify, to music files stored in one of its onboard options or your NAS server — feels almost Roon-like. (By the way, this player is also a Roon endpoint.)
You can also use Apple AirPlay® to control the streamer, or the included Bluetooth remote. Free automatic updates make sure it keeps pace with evolving tech and its expanding capabilities.
Articulate detail against a black background
What I really love about the RS150B is that it stays out of your way. It's true of the interface, and especially true in how it treats audio signals, which it delivers in crystal clear-detail with a near-silent noise floor and very low distortion.
It runs on a snappy hexa-core CPU with a high-performance ESS SABRE DAC capable of 32-bit/768kHz resolution. Also key to its impressive sound is its digital clock, which drastically reduces the distorted edges inherent in digital music transmission by aligning the spaces between the data. The RS150B's femto clock measures time down to the femtosecond — one quadrillionth of a second — for exceptionally smooth, precise audio.
4K video rabbit hole
Endless video digressions await you, thanks to the RS150B's 4K video decoding via its HDMI 2.0 output. The RoseTube app lets you peruse and play YouTube videos that you can watch on the unit's full color screen or — even better — on your TV. And its HDMI ARC connection means you can get beautiful soundtrack audio from whatever you might be watching.
Exceptional build quality and bountiful connections
You'll notice the heft and attention to detail when you handle the RS150B. From the milled aluminum chassis to the understated style of its beautiful one-piece glass touchscreen display, you can feel that it's built to dampen vibration — and to last. Under the hood, its massive toroidal transformer and isolated circuitry work to minimize unwanted noise.
On the back panel you have ample digital connections, balanced and unbalanced analog outputs for connection your amplifier, and an RCA stereo analog input. You could connect a USB drive, HiFi Rose RSA780E CD drive, or another CD player — even a turntable with a phono preamp.
Flexible local storage options
The RS150B has dual USB 3.0 inputs and a microSD card slot for local access to digital music files. And all HiFi Rose models include an internal bay on the bottom panel for adding optional SSD storage. The player will recognize drives up to 4TB, which is much more than you'll probably ever use.
- high-performance network audio and 4K video streamer
- solid milled aluminum chassis
- 14.9-inch-wide high-def touchscreen LCD display
- customized Android operating system
- control with touchscreen, RoseConnect Premium app for Apple® and Android™ devices, or included Bluetooth remote
- hexa-core CPU:
- dual-core Cortex-A72 CPU up to 1.8 GHz
- quad-core Cortex-A53 up to 1.4 GHz
- ESS SABRE ES9038PRO DAC
- maximum resolution: 32-bit/768 KHz
- supports Apple AirPlay, DLNA, and MQA (full decoder)
- supports Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, RoseTube (YouTube), internet radio stations, and RosePodcast
- works as a Roon player (requires Roon subscription and a Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- supported audio formats include MQA, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, OGG, M4A and more
- PCM decoding up to 32-bit/768kHz
- native DSD decoding up to DSD512 (22.4MHz)
- supported video formats include ASF, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and more up to 4K resolution
- Ethernet port for connection to your home network
- USB input for Wi-Fi /Bluetooth®
- Wi-Fi dongle included
- USB-C port for updates
- HDMI video output with up to 4K resolution (supports HDMI ARC audio input)
- digital inputs:
- Toslink optical
- AES/EBU digital XLR
- analog input:
- stereo RCA unbalanced line in
- digital outputs:
- AES/EBU digital XLR
- analog outputs:
- stereo XLR balanced preamp out
- stereo RCA unbalanced preamp out
- storage interface:
- two USB 3.0 ports for connecting an external drive and the HiFi Rose RSA780E CD drive (sold separately)
- micro SD card slot
- enclosed bay for optional 7mm SSD (solid-state drive) up to 4TB
- total harmonic distortion:
- 0.0002% (balanced,1KHz 6.5Vrms)
- 0.0003% (unbalanced,1KHz 2.2Vrms)
- signal to noise ratio:
- 121 dB (balanced)
- 118 dB (unbalanced)
- 16-15/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 14-15/16"D
- 28.7 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # RS150 BLK
What's in the box:
- Network audio streamer
- 6' AC power cord
- Wireless/USB dongle
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4 Screws
- Owner's Manual
Customer reviews for HiFi Rose RS150B
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the HiFi Rose RS150B
Features & specs
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|USB Type A||1|
|USB Type B||1|
|Optical Digital Outputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||1|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||768 kHz|
|Bluetooth Formats Supported||SBC|
|Frequency Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Apple Control App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Android Control App||Apple iOS, Android|
|12 Volt Trigger||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network & Bluetooth Integration
Intuitive User Interface
ESS Sabre DAC (ES9038PRO): Integrated with an ESS Technology SABRE DAC (ES9038PRO), the HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer offers low noise, low distortion, ultra-high-resolution sound and analog rich plabyack with proprietary processing. This state-of-the-art DAC (digital-to-analog converter) supports Hi-Res PCM audio files (up to 32-bit/768kHz), Native DSD music files (up to 22.4MHz), MQA Technology, plus many other audio formats.
- MQA: The integration of MQA technology enables you to playback MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording. MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. MQA lets you hear your streamed digital music files exactly like the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
- Native DSD: DSD is high-resolution digital audio format that uses a single bit to deliver a high resolution signal. Instead of sampling the information several thousand times a second, this single bit samples 2.8 million times a second to generate the audio signal. The result is still a Hi-Res audio signal that clean and pure. The RS150B supports DSD64 (2.8MHz), DSD128 (5.6MHz), DSD256 (11.2MHz), and DSD512 (22.4MHz).
- PCM: The HiFi Rose RS150B also supports linear PCM audio files with a bit depth of 16- / 24- / 32-bits, and a sampling frequency of 8Hz to 768kHz.
- Other File Types: Other supported audio file type include AAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, APE, DFF, DSF
Precision Femto Clock: The HiFi Rose RS150B network audio streamer employs a highly precise Femto clock that delivers superb stereoscopic and distortion-free sound with quiet and clear background imaging.
Linear Power Circuit Design: The linear power supply of the HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer provides a clean and reliable power supply to the CPU and audio output circuits. The fully linear power supply and extra shielding block out noise that may be transmitted to the sensitive DAC for the best possible sound reproduction.
Aluminum Chassis: A high-purity, one-piece aluminum chassis maximizes the RS150B network streamer's thermal efficiency. By minimizing the assembly area of the chassis, vibration that can affect sound quality is greatly reduced, creating a profound and ideal sense of space.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Connectivity: The HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer offers both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connectivity. The RS150B features one analog stereo RCA line-level input for connection of an external source device with an analog line-level output. The network streamer is also equipped with a balanced XLR stereo analog output and an unbalanced RCA stereo analog output for connection to an AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or power amp.
- The balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA outputs can be set to Fixed or Variable to accommodate the volume adjustment needed for your audio system.
- The network streamer does not have a Phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need an external phono preamp (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) or a turntable with a built-in preamp.
Digital Audio Inputs/Outputs: The RS150B network streamer is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input and output, a coaxial (RCA) digital input and output, plus an AES/EBU (XLR) digital input and output.. The digital inputs allow you to connect a CD, DVD, or Blu-ray player; while the digital outputs let you connect an external DAC. The digital inputs and outputs support up to 24-bit/192kHz PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel surround formats). There is also an I2S output that allows connection to an external DAC. The I2S output also supports up to 24-bit/192kHz PCM audio only.
HDMI Input/Output: The RS150B network streamer is outfitted with an HDMI ARC jack and a HDMI 2.0 video output. The HDMI ARC jack receives an audio signal (2ch PCM only) from your connected TV's HDMI ARC input. This allows you to watch TV, while listening to the audio signal through the RS150B and your connected audio system. The HDMI 2.0 video out lets you transmit a video signal (up to 4K) from the RS150B network streamer to your TV's HDMI input. You'll be able to watch video from RoseTube, USB-A, and SSD on the big screen.
USB Ports: The HiFi Rose RS150B is outfitted with two rear-panel USB-A 3.0 ports and a rear-panel USB-B port. The USB-A and USB-B ports support playback of a variety of audio files including MQA, PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz) , DSD (up to 11.2MHz), WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, APE, DFF, and DSF. The USB-A port also support video file playback including ASF, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 H.263, H.264, H.265, and more (up to 4K).
- USB-B (Audio Only): The USB-B port allows you to connect a Windows PC (7-up) or Mac (OS X) computer for playback of your stored digital music library on the RS150 network streamer. A separate USB audio driver will need to be installed on your Windows PC. A mac computer will not require a separate USB driver.
- USB-A (Audio/Video): Both USB-A 3.0 ports support connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device - up to 512GB, or HDD (hard disk drive) - up to 10TB. The USB MSC device or HDD must be formatted in NTFS or FAT32. Some HDD's will require an external AC power supply.
- The USB-A ports do not support media playback from an Apple iOS or Android OS device.
- There is a third USB-A port (labeled "USB WiFi/BT Dongle") that allows you to add WiFi and Bluetooth support through the included Wireless/USB adapter.
- There is also a rear-panel USB-C port that is used for service purposes only.
Dual Media Slots: The HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer offers a rear-panel microSD card slot and a bottom panel SSD (Solid State Drive) slot. The unit supports playback of a variety of audio and video files via microSD and SSD; including MQA, PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz), DSD (up to 11.2MHz), WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, APE, DFF, and DSF. Video file playback is also supported; including ASF, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 H.263, H.264, H.265, and more (up to 4K).
- microSD Card Slot: The RS150B network streamer features a rear-panel microSD card slot that will accept microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards (up to 400GB). The microSD memory card must be formatted in NTFS or FAT12. microSD memory cards sold separately (see Accessories Tab).
- SSD (Solid State Drive): The RS150B allows you to connect an external SSD (Solid State Drive) to its bottom panel. It can support SSD's up to 4TB and 7mm tall. A screwdriver and 4 screws are included for installation of an external SSD (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield).
Note: Video is transmitted through the RS150B's HDMI output to a connected TV or projector.
Optional CD Drive: Connecting the optional HiFi Rose RSA780E CD drive (sold separately) to the RS150B's USB-A 2.0 port allows you to rip Audio CD's to a connected USB MSC device, HDD (hard disk drive), or SSD (solid State Drive).
Network & Bluetooth Integration
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection to your router and ISP (internet service provider). The RS150B features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ45) LAN jack for a hardwired connection to your network router. It also comes with a wireless/USB dongle that plugs into the rear-panel USB port (lableed "USB WiFi/BT Dongle") for a wireless connection to your network router. The wireless/USBi dongle supports dual-band 2.4GHZ/5GHz and 802.11ac.
Online Entertainment Services: The HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer gives you access to a variety of online video and music services - including RoseTube (YouTube client), Rose Podcasts, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, and Internet Radio.
- RoseTube: RoseTube is a YouTube client developed by the Rose development team using the YouTube API provided by Google. Unlike YouTube, you can watch content without any advertisements before watching the content, and it provides a list of recommended contents suitable for HiFi enthusiasts. And regardless of the video quality, the highest quality audio tracks are always selected for playback, allowing you to enjoy YouTube in high quality.
- Rose Podcast: Rose Podcast (provided by iTunes) offers the most popular channels that are organized by topic. You can create your own subscriptions, playlists and favorite content.
- Rose Radio: You can listen to hundreds of Internet radio broadcasts from around the world with a Favorite (preset) feature, using Rose Radio.
- Tidal: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers millions of songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal 's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of HiFi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Apple Music: Apple Music is a subscription-paid streaming service with over 100 million songs ad-free. Easily find your favorite artists, discover new music, listen to curated playlists, and get exclusive artist content and interviews.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users (subscription required) to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the RS150B network streamer from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world with millions of songs available.
Apple AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the HiFi Rose RS150B, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the RS150B network streamer. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the RS150B; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the network streamer. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the RS150B's front-panel LCD touchscreen.
Note: The RS150B is currently not compatible with Apple AirPlay 2.
DLNA Compliant: Through a wired or wireless network connection, the HiFi Rose RS150B can be used as a DLNA Digital Media Renderer and play back a variety of audio files from a Windows PC, DLNA server, and NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. Compatible music files include MQA, PCM (up to 32-bit/768kHz), DSD (up to 22.4MHz), WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, APE, DFF, and DSF.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the HiFi Rose RS150B and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV,, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your Apple Music and iTunes library, as well as optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming service. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the RS150B network streamer and all other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the RS150B or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the HiFi Rose RS150B. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or player (sold separately) located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth 4.0: The HiFi Rose RS150B features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 (through the use of the included wireless/USB dongle) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the RS150B network streamer. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Volume Up/Down from the included remote. In addition, song/artist/album information (no album art) will be displayed on the RS150B''s front-panel LCD screen.
Note: You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices with the RS150B network streamer, but only one source device can be connected and used for playback at a time.
Intuitive User Interface
14.9" Capacitive Touchscreen: The HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer features a full-color 14.9" TFT capacitive touchscreen LCD panel for an intuitive user interface with simple operation. In addition to simple touchscreen operation, the 14.9" LCD panel will playback HD video from RoseTube, USB, and SSD. The front-panel 14.9" LCD also displays song/artist/album information (including album art) from select online music services and your network music collection. The LCD touchscreen will even display time, date, and weather.
Remote Control: The HiFi Rose RS150B comes with a Bluetooth remote controller for wireless operation of the network streamer. Because the remote is Bluetooth (and not IR), you don't need to point the remote directly at the RS150B network streamer. The Bluetooth remote control has to be initially paired and connected to the RS150B network streamer.
Note: The remote only provides basic control of the RS150B; you'll need the Rose Connect app (see below) for complete control of the network streamer.
RoseConnect Premium App: The RoseConnect Premium App (for Apple iOS 15.0+, Android OS 8.0+, Windows 7-up, and Mac OS X) allows you to conveniently setup and operate the HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer from your compatible Apple iOS device, Android OS device, Windows PC, or Mac computer.
5 questions already asked