About the Syng Cell Alpha (With Table Stand)
Syng Cell Alpha surrounds you with music
Syng Cell Alpha surrounds you with music
Control one or more Syng Cell Alpha speakers with the sophisticated Syng Space app.
At first glance, the Syng Cell Alpha may resemble a futuristic lamp, but it's actually a very cool, technologically innovative speaker. And I'll do you one better: a single Cell Alpha like this one covers a medium-sized room all by itself, and delivers immersive sound that seems to fill the air around you. And you can sync as many as four to play together so you feel like you're living inside each track you play.
I know this, because I heard three Cell Alpha speakers playing in a conference room located at Crutchfield HQ. As my colleagues and I dug deep into our playlists — testing the speakers' facility with classic rock, bass-heavy dance music, and even a small jazz trio — all I could think was, "I desperately want the world's coolest cocktail party to break out right here and now, because nobody in town has a more impressive sound system."
This version of the Cell Alpha comes with a table stand. If you prefer a free-standing configuration, try the Cell Alpha with floor stand (sold separately).
In a traditional speaker, most of the sound comes out of the front of a rectangular box, which you aim toward your favorite seat to create a "sweet spot." But what happens when the room is full of people — shouldn't everyone get a shot at being in the sweet spot?
The spherical Cell Alpha employs a secret sauce known as "Triphonic audio," which is meant to evoke a sense of three-dimensional space being filled with music — enveloping all nearby listeners in a cocoon of sound. It's a bold promise, and I can personally attest that this speaker delivers. The speaker uses three separate midrange/tweeter arrays spaced evenly around the middle of its spherical enclosure, with two woofers firing upward and downward in an opposed, force-canceling configuration.
Control your system with a unique mobile app
The Syng Space app offers multi-room source selection and control via your Apple® mobile device. (Android™ support coming soon.) It uses a cool spatial interface that I hadn't seen before. The app creates circles that represent individual speakers or zones, and you can drag and drop the icon for your preferred source — Spotify®, AirPlay, or a source connected to the USB-C ports — into that circle to begin playback. It's an intuitive way to visualize your whole-home layout — you literally "send" your music to the right room.
Directing the sound within your space
That same circular visual interface in the app gives you control over the soundfield within any listening room. Keep your source in the center of the circle for spacious, diffuse sound. Or slide it to different areas within the circle to adjust the way the sound is focused.
Syng founder and CEO Chris Stringer spent 21 years creating iconic designs for Apple, so it's no surprise that his own company's approach to audio is innovative, user-friendly, and visually appealing. Syng aims to create immersive 3D soundscapes with their signature line of triphonic audio products.
- circular Triphonic array: three horn-loaded midrange drivers with concentrically mounted horn-loaded tweeters
- 120° spacing for multi-directional coverage
- dual 6-1/2" force-canceling subwoofers for room-filling bass
- one upward-firing woofer and one downward-firing woofer
- back-to-back force-balanced placement cancels out unwanted vibration
- individual Class D amplification for each driver (eight total)
- frequency response: 30-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- up to four speakers (sold separately) can be used in one room or in a multi-room configuration
- multi-zone source selection and speaker control via Syng Space app
- available for Apple mobile devices; Android support coming soon
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for streaming music
- supports Spotify Connect and Apple AirPlay 2
- internal digital-to-analog converter supports data rates up to 16-bit/48kHz
- dual USB-C audio inputs
- AC power required
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-13/16"W x 17-1/4"H x 11-13/16"D (with table stand)
- 18.5 lbs. (speaker and stand)
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # CALGRS1UC
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered speaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Upright tube
- Cable stop (pre-installed)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Table Stand Assembly
Customer reviews for Syng Cell Alpha (With Table Stand)
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Syng Cell Alpha (With Table Stand)
Features & specs
|USB Port||USB-C (2)|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||---|
|Tweeter Material||Not given|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Type||Not given|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||Not given|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||16-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||48 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Apple Music||AirPlay 2|
|Control by app||Apple iOS|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Triphonic & Spatial Audio: The Syng Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker system reproduces sounds like you hear them in the real world; emerging from a distinct single point source with all frequencies arriving intact and aligned, wherever you happen to be in the room. Utilizing Spatial Audio Technology, the Cell Alpha speaker system can create a free-form soundfield with no set left, right, front, or rear channels so it can position sound precisely throughout the depth, width, and height of your room - allowing a "true-to-life" listening experience in your home. Plus, thanks to Triphonic Audio, the Cell Alpha speaker system is able to adapt to the characteristics of your listening space and precisely project sound to the exact dimensions of your room, creating an immersive and unified soundfield. One Cell Alpha speaker will fill your room with articulate and spacious sound, while two or more speakers will envelop you with and even bigger and more immersive soundfield.
- Triphone Configuration: The Cell Alpha utilizes Syng's Triphone speaker configuration which features a circular array of horn-loaded drivers, tightly packed into the core of speaker system. Each horn contains a concentric pair of midrange and treble drivers, joining forced-balanced subwoofers in a full-range 3-way configuration. The three horns of the Triphone focus each pair of drivers on one third of the surrounding space, for precise directivity. Each driver also enjoys its own signal path and class-D amplifier for total independence and high efficiency. Due to the Triphone design, the full-range of sound emanates in equal balance from the speaker system.
- Forced Balanced Subwoofer: The Cell Alpha speaker system features two custom 5.25" subwoofer drivers in a force-balanced configuration with one driver facing up and the other driver facing down. Closely matched through careful hardware design and powerful digital signal processing (DSP), the subwoofer drivers are able to move in perfect opposition. With every movement of one driver countered by an equal and opposite reaction in the other, energy that might otherwise excite a sub enclosure to resonate is simply canceled out. The result is tight, clean, extended bass through the systems volume range.
Applications: A single Cell Alpha speaker provides a remarkable standalone stereo and spatial audio experience. For critical listening, one Cell Alpha speaker easily blankets a 300 sq/ft. room in sound. If your goal is room-filling ambiance, one Cell Alpha can cover a space up to 900 sq/ft. Adding multiple Cell Alphas to a room brings advantages beyond power and range, including greater flexibility to direct and shape sound within your space.
- For critical listening and room-filling sound -
- Use one or more Cell Alpha speakers for rooms up to 300 sq/ft. with 10 ft. ceiling:
- Use two or more Cell Alphas for rooms that are 300-600 sq/ ft. with 10 ft. ceiling:
- Use three or more speakers in rooms that are 600-900 sq/ft. with 10 ft. ceiling:
- For casual listening and room-filling ambiance -
- Use one ore more Cell Alpha speakers in areas up to 900 sq/ft. with 10 ft. ceiling.
- Use two ore more Cell Alphas in areas that are 900-1100 sq/ft. with 10 ft. ceiling.
- Use three or more speakers in areas that are 1000-1300 sq/ft. with 10 ft. ceiling.
Syng Space App: Use the Syng Space app (for Apple iOS 13.0+) to initially setup the Cell Alpha speaker system with your wireless WiFi network. Once the Cell Alpha speaker system is connected to your WiFi network, you can use the Syng Space app and your compatible smartphone or tablet device to control sound settings, source selection, and multi-room audio.
- Setup: Use the Syng Space app and Bluetooth LE on your compatible smartphone or tablet device to setup and connect the Cell Alpha speaker system with your wireless network router over WiFi.
- Sound Settings: Sound settings with the the Sync Space app included Sound Check and Sound Shaping which tailor the sound of the speaker system to your listening environment and application.
- Source Selection: Use the Syng Space app on your compatible smartphone or tablet device to select between sources. Choose from AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, or USB-C.
- Multi-Room Audio: From the Syng Space app on your compatible smartphone or tablet device you are able add and link multiple Cell Alpha speakers together for playback of the same audio source in one room or multiple rooms. You cannot select different audio sources for playback from different Cell Alpha speakers.
Note: Currently The Syng Space app is only support by Apple iOS 13.0+. Android OS support is currently not supported, but coming soon via a firmware/software update (no ETA).
Sound Check: Sound Check is an automatic room calibration system within the Sync Spac App. During Sound Check, the Syng Cell Alpha speaker system will play special tones into the room, then the sound that bounces back is analyzed by a trio of beam-forming microphones. This tells Cell Alpha speaker system about the size and shape of your room, so it can fine-tune its response. If there are multiple Cell Alpha speakers in the room, this lets each know where all the others are, so they can work together to create a cohesive soundfield. If you move a Cell Alpha speaker to a new room or location, the Syng Space ap will prompt you to to run Sound Check again, so it can adjust to the new space.
Sound Shaping: When a sound comes from every driver at the same time and volume, it goes in all directions. As timing and volume are carefully varied between them, the direction and shape of the sound output changes. When you open the app, you see your "Syng Space". With your source in the center, the sound is diffused and spacious, filling the room. When you move it off-center, the focus changes. With a tap, you can have powerful spatial sound at the couch, intimate music at your desk, or fill the room with ambiance. . It is encouraged that you to experiment with different placements, content, and volumes. You can always move your source back to the center to return to default.
- With one Cell Alpha, moving a source lets you manipulate the focal point of the sound to suit your current listening position. You have the freedom and ability to change the focus of the sound to suit different listening positions, or bring it back to the center it for immersive sound at any angle. For example, if your Cell Alpha speaker sits between your kitchen and dining room, you might move the source from one side to the other when you move between them, to turn the soundstage in your direction.
- With multiple Cell Alphas, this capability comes even more to life by allowing a few speaker to the work of many. You can move a source toward the TV for spatial sound on the couch, bring it to your desk for some personal work music, or return it to the center for immersive sound throughout the room. Sliding a source directly over one Cell Alpha focuses the sound on that particular speaker. Others in the room then turn off their midrange and treble drivers and use their subwoofers to reinforce the bass response. You can also tweak the position of the source around that Cell Alpha speaker to direct the sound without losing its focus. Moving a source between two Cells makes the sound more direct, a bit like listening on a traditional set of speakers.
WiFi Certified: The Syng Cell Alpha speaker system features built-in 2.4GHz/5GHz duall-band WiFi (802.11ac) for wireless connectivity to your homes WiFi-enabled network router and ISP (internet service provider). It utilizes the Syng Space app and Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) to find and connect your wireless router to the speaker system. Make sure your compatible smartphone or tablet device running the Syng Space app has WiFi and Bluetooth turned on. Once connected to your WiFi network, you gain access to AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect.
- Bluetooth LE is only used during the speaker system's initial setup. The Cell Alpha speaker does not support Bluetooth audio streaming or hands-free communication.
- The Syng Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker system is not equipped with a Ethernet (RJ45) LAN jack for a wired network connection.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the Syng Cell Alpha speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can also play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Cell Alpha speaker system. In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Syng Cell Alpha speaker system.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Syng Cell Alpha speaker system from within the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device, as well as your Windows PC or Mac computer. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Dual USB-C Ports:The Cell Alpha speaker system is outfitted with dual USB-C ports for connectione to Apple Mac computer and USB-enabled turntable. The speaker system can support ALAC, AAC, AIFF, MP3, and WAV music files (up to 16-bit/48kHz from a connected Apple Mac computer; higher resolution music files will be down-sampled to 16-bit/48kHz. The USB-C port can also be used with the optional Syng Link USB-C to HDMI adapter cable (sold separately - not yet available) to connect the speaker system to your TV. The Syng Link is a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable that turns one of the Cell Alpha speaker's USB-C ports into an HDMI eARC jack for connection to your TV. Using the Syng Link, the Cell Alpha speaker system will support 2ch PCM stereo and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (at this time, Dolby Atmos and DTS formats are not supported).
- The USB-C ports do not support audio playback from USB MSC or HDD devices, Apple iOS or Android devices, and Windows PC.
- Standard USB-C to HDMI cables and adapters do not work and are not supported by the Syng Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker system.
Control Ring: A control ring on top of the Syng Cell Alpha provides basic operation of the speaker system. Control functions include Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, and Play/Pause. Advance playback control, source selection, and sound adjustment must be done through the Syng Space app on your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
Note: The Cell Alphas speaker does not come with a remote control and does not support IR commands from other remote controls.
Mounting Options: The Syng Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker system performs best in open air. If your room size and layout allows, place the speaker or speakers around your listening area, at least 2' from walls, ceiling, and furniture. You can position the speaker closer to the wall if you need to due to room limitations. However, never place the Cell Alpha speaker in an enclosed space (such as inside a cabinet or under a table). The Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker is available with a tabletop stand or a floor stand.
- Syng Cell Alpha (with Table Stand): The table stand model allows you to place the Syng Cell Alpha speaker on a tabletop or other flat surface such as a desk, countertop, end-table, or shelf.
- Syng Cell Alpha (with Floor Stand): The floor stand model allows you to place the Syng Cell Alpha speaker directly on the floor at the perfect mounting height (36.25" or 48.4375").
Note: The Cell Alpha does not provide any brackets, keyhole slots or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker system.
Power Requirements: The Syng Cell Alpha wireless speaker system will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet; preferably into a surge protector or line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). It comes with an 6.5' detachable AC power cord (C7, 2-prong). The power cable is routed up through the tabletop stand or floor stand to the mounted wireless powered speaker system.
Note: The Cell Alpha wireless powered speaker system is not battery powered.
1 question already asked