About the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 8
An excellent SourcePoint speaker with a manageable footprint
The MoFi SourcePoint 8 delivers accurate, room-filling sound, thanks to an innovative Twin-Drive concentric driver.
An excellent SourcePoint speaker with a manageable footprint
I've heard Andrew Jones' fantastic SourcePoint 10 in a cleared-out hotel room, the large training room at Crutchfield HQ, and even in a co-worker's basement hangout space. They're large speakers that sound great in any room, but they can be a bit physically imposing in smaller quarters. Good news: the SourcePoint 8 speaker brings comparable sonic qualities to the party, and they take up a bit less space.
Innovative driver and front baffle
It features a cutting-edge 8" Twin-Drive concentric driver that delivers coherent imaging, low distortion, and impressive frequency response. The eye-catching faceted front baffle reduces diffraction for a more precise and detailed stereo image. The driver is housed in a solid cabinet with vertical and horizontal internal bracing that reduces vibration, all encased in attractive real wood veneer.
The SourcePoint 8 is exceptionally easy to drive, which is not always the case with speakers of its caliber. That means you'll have flexibility when it comes to choosing an amplifier.
Invest in good speaker stands for maximum sound quality
Proper placement is crucial to getting the best performance out of any speakers, and the stand-mountable SourcePoint 8 is no exception. We recommend placing each on a sturdy, custom-made MoFi SourcePoint 8 stand to help eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections, and to raise them to ideal listening height.
The SourcePoint 8 doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- innovative 8" Twin-Drive concentric driver
- includes 1-1/4" soft dome tweeter
- faceted front baffle reduces diffraction for more precise sound
- form-fitting faceted magnetic grille
- power handling: 30-100 watts RMS
- frequency response: 47-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- binding post terminals
- real wood veneer cabinet
- designed by audio legend Andrew Jones
- Note: we recommend placing these speakers on custom MoFi SourcePoint 8 stands (sold separately) that can support their size and weight
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-7/16"W x 18"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 27.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MFESPSRPT8WHT
What's in the box:
- Stand-mount loudspeaker
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 8
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.25|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Paper Pulp|
|Woofer Surround||Foamed Rubber|
|Frequency Response||47-30k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||22-24|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Concentric 2-Way Driver Design: Custom-developed by Andrew Jones through 18 months of R&D, the MoFi SourcePoint 8's concentric 2-way driver design delivers stunning clarity and deep bass impact. The SourcePoint 8's concentric 2-way driver design consists 8" cone woofer with a centrally located 1.25" tweeter that is mounted on the center axis of the woofer and is positioned at the apex of the cone. The common axis removes the spatial disparity and eliminates the distance and timing differences between the woofer and tweeter.
- 8" Paper-Pulp Cone Woofer: The 8" paper-pulp cone with low-profile multi-roll surround has nearly 2x the surface area of a typical 6" bass driver, and barely needs to move in order to produce large and dynamic sound. This keeps a consistent waveguide around the tweeter for the most coherent sound possible, with the least amount of distortion, and without sacrificing bass.
- 1.25" Soft-Dome Tweeter: Fitted centrally within the 8" bass driver is a 1.25" soft dome tweeter with a wide-roll surround and large diameter voice coil. The tweeter has great power handling and minimal thermal compression, allowing it to come in at 1.6kHz and deliver smooth response beyond 30kHz.
Natural Waveguide: Locating the 1.25" tweeter at the apex of the cone allows the 8" cone to act as a waveguide for the tweeter. The purpose of a waveguide is controlling the directivity of the sound source. In a concentric configuration, it matches the directivity of the tweeter through the crossover frequency range to that of the woofer. The off-axis responses now become much better matched, resulting in improved directivity and room response.
Twin-Drive High-Flux Neodymium Magnet System: The heart of the SourcePoint 8 is an innovative Twin-Drive high-flux neodymium magnet system. It is not enough to simply optimize the frequency response of the woofer and tweeter. It is also critically important to minimize distortion in the motor structure of the drive unit. If the motor has distortion, it will generate new frequencies outside of the original signal. MoFi has been very deliberate with the design of the motor to reduce these distortions. The Twin-Drive system creates a fully symmetrical magnetic field, eliminating flux modulation for extremely low intermodulation distortion (IMD). This technical achievement is an important part of why the SourcePoint 8 sounds so pure and accurate.
High-Quality Cabinet Construction: A large woofer, like the 8" paper-pulp cone woofer of the SourcePoint 8, requires a large cabinet that won't add resonance. The SourcePoint 8's cabinet uses thick MDF panels and extensive internal bracing. The top, bottom, and sides are 3/4" thick MDF wrapped in beautiful real wood veneer. The faceted front baffle is 1.5" thick MDF finished in a smooth satin black coating. Two internal braces connect the top, sides, and bottom to further strengthen the cabinet.
- 1.5" Thick Baffle: The front baffle is the launch point for the 8" paper-pulp cone woofer. It needs to be strong and free of sound reflection. The SourcePoint 8 uses a sculpted baffle with multiple facets to eliminate diffraction. All you hear is the smooth and even response of the driver, not the sound of the cabinet.
- Real Wood Veneers: The SourcePoint 8 uses furniture-grade real wood veneer that is book matched for mirror-imaged grain patterns on both of the speakers. The SourcePoint 8 has a unique combination of modern and classic style which suits a wide variety of interiors. You can choose between Walnut or Black Ash. There is also a Satin White polymer white finish.
Bass Reflex Design: The MoFi SourcePoint 8's speaker cabinet employs a bass reflex design with dual rear firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The two bass ports have been carefully fine tuned to prevent unwanted port noise ("chuffing") that can lead to distortion of sound.
Magnetic Grille: The SourcePoint 8 speaker includes a fabric-wrapped grille that attaches magnetically and is perfectly form-fitting to retain the profile of the speaker cabinet's distinguished multi-faceted baffle.
Binding Post Terminals: The MoFi SourcePoint 8 is outfitted with a set of high-quality, heavy-duty binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). The speaker has a nominal impedance of 8-ohm with a minimum impedance of 6.2-ohm.
Mounting & Placement Options: The MoFi SourcePoint 8 is a large stand-mount speaker that measures 11.4375" (w) x 17.9375" (h) x 14.25" (d), and weighs 27.9 lbs. Its too large to fit on most bookshelves or other shelving. You'll need a high-quality, heavy-duty floor stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). A set of four self-adhesive rubber feet help to isolate and secure the speaker on your floor stand. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. Follow these general guidelines to help optimize the performance of SourcePoint 8 speaker.
- A pair of speakers should be positioned so they form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. Each speaker should then be angled ("toed-in") toward the listener. With the concentric-driver utilized in this speaker, you may get best results by rotating the speakers so that their axes points slightly in front of or behind the listener.
- The centrally located tweeter of the speaker's concentric-driver system should ideally be positioned 33" from the floor and relatively at ear level when you are in your main seated listening position.
- The speaker should be positioned approximately 2' to 4' away from boundaries such as walls and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass responsiveness, but if the speakers are positioned too close to a boundary, the bass may sound excessive or "boomy".
Note: The MoFi SourcePoint 8 does not offer a mounting bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.