About the Alpine CDA-9886
Alpine excellence in your dash
The CDA-9886 CD receiver furthers Alpine's top-notch reputation for excellent sound. Its strong internal amp delivers powerful output, and you can shape the sound with Bass Engine® sound controls a 2-band parametric equalizer, plus a low-pass filter for your subwoofer. The stereo also features a high-pass filter that'll keep your full-range speakers clear by eliminating the low bass that they can't handle.
User-friendly controls and features
The 2-line BioLite display delivers text that's easy to read anywhere in the car. Alpine's included KCE-422i iPod® cable lets you connect your iPod and use the Percentage Search function to find your favorite songs fast just tap the radio preset buttons to jump quickly through sections of your playlist. You'll also find a built-in USB input ready for your thumb drives or USB-equipped music players (except iPod).
Tune your system to perfection
The CDA-9886 offers three sets of preamp outputs for connecting an amplified system. The combination of Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT sound processor and the KTX-H100 tuning kit you'll turn your vehicle into the perfect listening space the IMPRINT measures your car's acoustics and adjusts the stereo's settings automatically to create a perfect audio environment.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Hands-on Research" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Information provided by Alpine
- CD receiver with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (except Digital Rights-protected files)
- fold-down, detachable face with a 2-line BioLite display
- remote control
- Bass Engine (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments)
- high-pass filter (speakers and front/rear preamp outputs)
- compatible with: Alpine Bluetooth® adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner, CD changer
- compatible with Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit
- inputs: USB input, includes KCE-422i iPod control cable, optional aux input
- outputs: three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs (subwoofer output has bass level control)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
Other features and specs:
- CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # CDA-9886
What's in the box:
- CD/MP3/WMA/AAC receiver
- Wireless remote control (RUE-4202)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Wiring harness
- Trim ring
- Hard plastic face case
- KCE-422i Alpine Full Speed connection cable for iPod
- 4 Flat-head ISO-DIN screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Face fixing screw
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (English/French/Spanish)
- Quick start/Wiring guide (English/French/Spanish)
- Customer Care Registration card
- CD-ROM Requirements/Instructions
Customer reviews for Alpine CDA-9886
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Alpine CDA-9886
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
BioLite Display: The crisp, clear, white on black BioLite display uses biochemical luminescence technology that provides outstanding visibility even in daylight. It is 40% brighter than normal displays, with higher resolution and better contrast. In addition, it has a much wider viewing angle than conventional displays.
Background Animation Displays: You can select from 4 different animated background displays: falling Vs, glimmering water surface, gears, or pulsating shapes (hearts, diamonds, musical notes, stars, etc). The animation displays can be turned off for a plain black background.
Dimmer: This unit is equipped with an illumination lead; when the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Blackout: To reduce power consumption you can turn off the display and button back lighting. When the Blackout Mode is turned on the display will illuminate for five seconds each time you press a button.
Changer Name: You can change the name on the display to match the type of device connected to the CD changer input; Changer, USB, or Portable.
Opening Message: When engaged, this feature will display a special message each time you turn on the radio on certain dates; Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday (after you program your birth date), etc.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
Bass and Treble Controls: The head unit features independent Bass and Treble controls that allow you to adjust each setting from -7 to +7.
Subwoofer Pre-out: In addition to the front and rear 4-volt preamp outputs, the CDA-9886 has a dedicated 4-volt subwoofer preamp output with variable level adjustment of 0 to 15.
Power IC Off: When an external amplifier is powering all the speakers in the system, you can turn the internal amp off, which will improve the sound quality.
Interrupt Feature: When a device having the interrupt feature (such as a cellular telephone) is connected to the receiver, the audio signal will be automatically muted whenever the interrupt signal is received from the device. The supplied wiring harness contains a pink/black Interrupt lead that needs to be connected to the device's interrupt signal connection.
Imprint: With the addition of the optional PXA-H100 Imprint box (500PXAH100, sold separately) and KTX-H100 tuning kit (500KTXH100, sold separately) a car's inherent acoustic shortcomings can be overcome with the MultEQ feature. Imprint also gives you much more sound adjustment flexibility as detailed below.
MultEQ: MultEQ, developed by Audyssey Labs, automatically optimizes the audio for the listening environment inside your vehicle. The Imprint kit includes the hardware, software, and microphone necessary to measure multiple positions in the car and capture frequency and time domain information from the vehicle's actual acoustical environment. Once the car's speaker location delays are measured, along with the frequency peaks and dips caused by the absorptive and reflective materials in the interior, MultEQ creates a set of equalization filters to correct the frequency response and time domain problems for each speaker in the vehicle. It also removes sound distortion caused by the specific acoustical problems in the vehicle by applying unique FIR filters, using more than 500 points along the frequency spectrum per channel. This optimizes the sound reproduction to the specific vehicle listening environment with much greater precision than can be achieved using typical graphic or parametric equalization. The result is a more accurate soundstage and smoother, more natural sound optimized to match your vehicle.
Equalizer: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of musical source material. You can select from - Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz & Blues, Electrical Dance, Hip Hop & Rap, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical. The head unit will also save six custom EQ curves you create by adjusting the units built-in EQ. Choose the parametric or graphic EQ:
- 5- Band Parametric EQ: The built-in
Parametric EQ allows you to adjust the following 5 frequency bands in 1/3
octave steps from -6 to +6 dB at a bandwidth Q factor of 1, 1.5, or 3
- Band 1: 20 Hz to 80 Hz
- Band 2: 50 Hz to 200 Hz
- Band 3: 125 Hz to 3.2 kHz
- Band 4: 315 Hz to 8 kHz
- Band 5: 800 Hz to 20 kHz
- 7-Band Graphic EQ: The built-in Graphic EQ allows you to adjust
the following 7 frequencies from -6 to +6 dB
- Band 1: 63 Hz
- Band 2: 150 Hz
- Band 3: 400 Hz
- Band 4: 1 kHz
- Band 5: 2.5 kHz
- Band 6: 6.3 kHz
- Band 7: 17.5 kHz
Crossover: The active crossover can be used as a 2.2 channel (3-way; low-pass subwoofer, band-pass midrange, high-pass tweeter) or a 4.2 channel (2-way; high-pass front and rear, low-pass subwoofer). A crossover limits the frequencies delivered to a given speaker, so you send only the frequencies for which the speaker is well suited. The crossover adjusts the high pass filter or low pass filter of each band along with the slope and output level. You can adjust the following crossover settings:
- 4.2 Channel:
- High Pass Filter: the front and rear outputs are individually adjustable; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- 2.2 Channel:
- Tweeter/High Pass Filter: crossover from 1 kHz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Midrange/Band Pass Filter: a band pass has both high pass and low pass filters; HPF 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct; LPF from 20 Hz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Subwoofer/Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
Time Correction: The time correction feature delays the audio signal to the speakers closer to the listener. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance from all speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance of each speaker and subwoofer (6-channel) to the listener from 0 to 132.7 inches.
Media Xpander: The MX (Media Xpander) function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three settings and each source can have its own setting.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: This unit can play CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs containing MP3, WMA, and AAC files recorded using the ISO 9660 Level 1 or Level 2 formats. MP3 files with bit rates from 32 kbps to 320 kbps, WMA files with bit rates from 48 kbps to 192 kbps, and AAC files with bit rates from 16 kbps to 320 kbps are supported. Variable bit rates are also compatible. Up to 510 files/folders and a maximum of 255 folders can be read from one disc. ID3 tags v1 and v2, and WMA tags are supported; track title, artist name, and album name ID3 tag data can be displayed.
Text/File/Folder Quick Search: When you're playing a disc with CD Text, ID3, or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track or file by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track.
USB: Using the rear panel USB port, you can connect and control an audio device with MP3, WMA, or AAC files and a USB jack. The female Type A USB port is located on an 8" pigtail.
iPod Full Speed: The CDA-9886 has an iPod Direct Connection mounted on a 4" pigtail on the rear panel. When used with the supplied KCE-422i Alpine Full Speed Connection cable, the receiver can interface with most Apple iPods with a dock connector. You can quickly and easily search through all of the music contained on your iPod by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, or Composer. You can view artist, album, song, and track number on the head unit's display. When operating your iPod through the Full Speed connection, you can use the Direct Search function in Playlist, Artist, Album, or Song mode to quickly locate your music. Using the unit's preset buttons, you can quickly jump over a designated percentage of your song content (Preset 1: 0% to 16%, Preset 2: 17% to 32%, Preset 3: 33% to 49%, Preset 4: 50% to 66%, Preset 5: 67% to 82%, Preset 6: 83% to 100% of the song library). The Alpine CDA-9886 and KCE-422i Alpine Full Speed Cable is "Made for iPod" compatible and support the following iPod model features (as of Dec. 2009):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
*Note: The Full Speed cable will not charge the iPod nano (4th/5th generation) or iPod touch (2nd/3rd generation) without the Alpine KCX-422TR 12V-to5V iPod adapter (500KCX422T, sold separately). Apple firmware updates may change functionality results.
HD Radio Ready: The CDA-9886 can receive HD Radio signals, including multicast broadcasts, when the TUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner Module (500TUAT550, sold separately) is connected via the Ai-NET connector. The digital seek function allows you to search for only HD Radio stations if you prefer.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner and the Alpine CNP-ALP1 adapter cable (700XMALP1, sold separatley).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio:
- Universal SIRIUS Tuner: you can connect the optional SIRIUS SC-C1 SIRIUS Connect Universal Vehicle Tuner, along with the Alpine KCA-SC100 Sirius Satellite Radio interface (700SIRALPC, sold separatley) directly to the head unit
- SIRIUS Plug and Play: the KCA-SC100 Sirius Satellite Radio interface and the SCVDOC1 SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (700SIRALPP, sold separately) allows you to integrate many SIRIUS plug and play receivers; compatible tuners include the Sportster, Starmate, Stratus, and Stiletto; you can control the satellite receiver from your head unit and use the Quick Search feature to browse all artists and songs currently playing on all channels; the SIRIUS text information also appears on the head unit display
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via an auxiliary input adapter (500KCA121B, sold separately). You cannot connect this auxiliary input and a CD-changer at the same time.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Bluetooth Interface Ready: Using the Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth adapter with the KWE-460E interconnect cable adapter (700KCE460B, sold separately), you can make and receive calls hands-free on your Bluetooth-capable cellular phone, and communicate through a microphone (included with the Bluetooth interface) and your vehicle's speakers.
Note: The Pass-Through port of the KCE-400BT allows you to connect the Bluetooth adapter as well as an iPod to the CDA-9886. The KWE-460 interconnection cable is still required along with a KCE-433iV Full Speed iPod connection cable (500KCE433I, sold separately). In this case the KCE-422i cable will not be needed.
Ai-NET Compatible: An optional Ai-NET-compatible 6- or 12-disc CD changer (including MP3 and DVD Changers) may be connected to and controlled by the CDA-9886.
Optional Auxiliary Input: With the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable (500KCA121B, sold separately) you can input audio from an auxiliary source unit, such as a TV, VCR or portable unit through the headunit's AI-Net port.
Note: When using this auxiliary adapter, you cannot connect a CD-changer to the headunit.
Wireless Remote: The CDA-9886 is controlled with the supplied RUE-4202 wireless remote control or the optional RUE-4190 (500RUE4190, sold separately). The unit has a remote control sensor on the upper right corner of the faceplate.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The CDA-9886 has a steering remote control input on the back panel. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (127SWIJACK, sold separately), you can retain the use of your factory steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen, and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult "What Fits My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Alpine CDA-9886 replaces these items