About the Onkyo DS-A2x
The Onkyo DS-A2x dock gives you a convenient way to connect your iPod to Onkyo components and systems, as well as other brands of audio/video gear. An included audio/video cable connects the dock to your receiver to transmit music, photos and videos from your player. The DS-A2x even generates an on-screen menu from compatible iPods for convenient navigation on your TV.
The DS-A2x connects to the proprietary RI ("Remote Interactive") connection found on most Onkyo receivers currently available, allowing you to control your iPod using your Onkyo remote. It also comes with its own remote for use with other types of audio/video gear.
- plays audio from select iPods (see "Hands-on Research")
- plays video from older docking iPods (no video playback from iPod classic®, iPod nano®, iPod touch®, or iPhone®)
- RI input allows iPod control with Onkyo remotes
- audio/video cable
- analog audio output (stereo RCA)
- composite video output
- RI cable included
- remote control
- automatically charges most iPods while docked (will not charge iPhone 3G, second generation iPod touch, or curved screen iPod nano)
- AC adapter
- 4-7/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 5-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # DSA2X
What's in the box:
- DS-A2X Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod
- RC-670E wireless remote control
- CR2025 lithium battery (installed)
- 5.5' RI cable (with 3.5mm mono miniplug on each end)
- 5.5' A/V patch cable (with stereo male RCA and composite video plugs on each end)
- AC adapter with attached 6' DC output cord (DC output: 5.0V/1.0A)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French/Spanish)
- Product Registration/Warranty card
Customer reviews for Onkyo DS-A2x
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Onkyo DS-A2x
Product Overview: The DS-A2X Remote Interactive (RI) Dock for iPod provides an interface between an iPod digital media player and Onkyo audio-video components and systems. Once an iPod is docked in the DS-A2X, you can control basic functions such as volume control, play, stop, and skip via the Onkyo system's RI-compatible wireless remote control. The dock also charges the iPod's battery. The dock allows you to view digital photos, video, and the on screen display so you can navigate the iPod's menu.
iPod Compatibility: The DS-A2X is designed for use with iPod models having a Dock Connector. The DS-A2X features an adaptor wheel that turns to adjust for the depth of your particular iPod. The DS-A2X currently supports the following iPod models:
- 5th Generation iPod video (audio and video)
- iPod photo (audio and video)
- 4th Generation iPod (audio only)
- 1st/2nd/3rd/4th Generation iPod nano (audio only)
- iPod mini (audio only)
- iPod classic (audio only)
- 1st/2nd Generation iPod touch (audio only)
- iPhone/iPhone 3G (audio only)
Note: The DS-A2X is not compatible with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation iPods, the 5th generation iPod nano, or the iPhone 3GS. The DS-A2X will not charge the 2nd or 3rd generation iPod touch, iPod nano 4th generation, or the iPhone 3G.
System Compatibility: Nearly all Onkyo receivers, home theater systems, and audio systems are compatible with the DS-A2X through their RI (Remote Interactive) port. Because the DS-A2X includes a remote control and has standard RCA audio and video outputs, it is actually compatible with any A/V system with those inputs.
On Screen Display (OSD): The DS-A2X comes with an on-screen display (OSD) mode that enables you to view track lists (artists, albums, songs, genres, composers) on your connected display for easy navigation and selection. In OSD mode, you can browse your iPod using the keys on the dedicated remote controller. You can choose from four page modes (Small, Medium, Large and Page) that let you move through your iPod's music library in progressively larger steps. The OSD also displays information about the track being played such as playback status, shuffle mode, playback time and total time. You can also choose the background color of the OSD and set the time at which the screen saver is activated. The background color for the menu can be set to Black, Magenta, or two shades each of red, green, or blue. You can specify the time after which the screen saver engages; 1, 5, or 10 minutes. When the screen saver engages the menu disappears and the screen goes blank. The screen saver can also be turned off.
IR Wireless Remote Control: The DS-A2X comes with its own wireless IR remote controller to control all basic playback functions of the unit and your iPod. With its simple layout and easy operability, this palm-fitting remote controller is particularly handy for navigating and selecting your music through the unit's OSD. The remote controller also brings one-touch control for random playback of songs or albums; a resume function that will return to the track being played when the iPod is stopped or removed from the Dock; and a repeat function for one track or all. The remote controller can also be used to set its own ID (an option when you have multiple remote controllers as part of your system) or to select NTSC or PAL for video playback.
Remote Interactive (RI): Remote Interactive (RI) is an exclusive Onkyo control system that allows RI-compatible Onkyo audio components to be controlled with a single remote controller. In addition, all components can be turned on or off together, and the amplifier will automatically turn on and select the appropriate input source when playback is started on a source component. You can control your iPod using the Tape, MD, CDR, or HDD/Dock input source and remote control mode. You must first switch the RI mode switch on the bottom of the dock to the input source/remote control mode you plan to use. Onkyo's RI system allows you to use your amp's remote controller to control the basic functions of your iPod, such as Play, Pause, Fast Forward, Fast Rewind, Next Song, Previous Song, etc. Depending upon the model of your amp and generation of iPod, you may also be able to use some of the following advanced functions through Onkyo's RI system:
- System On/Off: when you turn your amp on or off, the RI dock and your iPod will turn on or off accordingly
- Auto Power On: if you press Play on the remote control while the amp is in Standby, your amp will automatically turn on and select your iPod as the input source, then, the iPod will begin playback
- iPod Alarm Clock: use your iPod's Alarm Clock function to automatically turn on your iPod and amp at a specified time, the amp's input source will automatically be set to the input to which your iPod is connected
- Direct Change: if you start iPod playback using the remote control while listening to another input source, your amp will automatically select the iPod as the input source
- Timer Play: you can use your amp's Timer function to turn on your amp and iPod and start playback at a specified time
- Advanced Playback Functions: Shuffle, Repeat, Backlight, Playlist/Album mode, Next/Previous Playlist, Next/Previous Album
- Dimmer Link: when you use your amp's Dimmer function to change its display's brightness, the brightness of the RI Dock's Power indicator will change as well
Note on Functions: In most cases, to use these functions, your iPod must be in the RI dock, and the RI dock must be connected to your amp with both an RI cable and an audio cable.
iPod Photo and Video Playback: When the DS-A2X is used with an iPod photo or 5th Generation iPod, you can enjoy iPod photos and slideshows with music through your Onkyo audio-video system. Also, the DS-A2X can pass full motion video from 5th Generation iPods. For photo and/or video playback, you must connect the dock's video jack to an input on your Onkyo receiver or TV. The DS-A2X will not only send photos and video to a TV or monitor, it will also send the menu text display information such as artist, title, or playlists.
Connectors: The DS-A2X Remote Interactive Dock has the following connections:
- Top of Unit: iPod dock connector
- Back of Unit:
- RI: 3.5mm (1/8") mini jack for supplied RI cable (mono mini)
- Video Out: Composite video jack
- Audio Out: Left and right RCA jacks for supplied RCA audio patch cable
- DC In (5V/1A): Round DC power connector for supplied AC adapter
The Onkyo DS-A2x replaces these items
- For use with Onkyo components and other brands of A/V gear
- for all docking iPods including video iPods, iPod photos, iPod nanos, and iPod minis
- control via included remote or compatible Onkyo remote