About the Kenwood KAC-8401
Want more power? Maybe you've got a component speaker system or a power-hungry sub, or maybe you just like to crank the volume a little bit louder than your neighbor. Whatever the reason, Kenwood amplifiers have got your power needs covered.
Looking for a multichannel amp to drive your front and rear speakers? The KAC-8401 amp punches out 60 watts RMS by 4 channels of MOSFET-fueled power, complete with variable crossovers and bass boost. Need bass? Bridge this versatile Kenwood to 2-channel mode, and feed your subs big power.
A set of preamp outputs allow you to pass signal to a second amplifier without running another set of patch cables from your receiver. The cast-aluminum heat sink and built-in cooling fan ensure reliable operation.
- 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- 2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
- variable high-/low-pass crossovers (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
- bass boost on rear channels (0/6 dB at 90 Hz)
- cooling fan
- preamp- and speaker-level inputs
- preamp outputs
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 12-1/2"W x 2-3/16"H x 11-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # KAC-8401
What's in the box:
- Four-channel amplifier
- Speaker level input harness
- Rubber terminal cover
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Customer reviews for Kenwood KAC-8401
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KAC-8401
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||320 x 2|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||90 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||180 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.08%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|Bass Boost||0/6 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||90 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||40 x 1|
|Speaker Level Inputs||---|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
Two Amplifiers In One: The KAC-8401 amplifier is a 4-channel amplifier, which includes 2 stereo amplifiers (called Amplifier A and Amplifier B) in one body.
Line Level Inputs: Amplifiers A and B each have a separate line-level input with gold-plated RCA jacks. The Input Sensitivity controls will accept an input signal of 200mV to 5.0 Volts. If you are using a receiver with only one pair of preamp outputs, the amp will allow you to feed both Amplifier A and B with a single stereo input. The Input Selector switch gives you a choice of using A + B inputs or A inputs only. Note: When the amplifier switch is in the A input only position, the fader control on the radio will no longer allow you to fade between Amplifier A and B.
Speaker Level Input: The KAC-8401 comes with a 4-channel speaker level input harness. Once you splice the front and rear speaker wires from the receiver to the harness, you have plug-in convenience to the amplifier. This feature makes it easier to add an amplifier to a factory radio or a receiver with no preamp outputs. The maximum power output from the source receiver can be no more than 40 watts.
Line Level Output: The amplifier has a line level output for feeding a full-range stereo signal to another amplifier. The jacks output the signals input input to Amplifiers A and B, and is always in stereo regardless of the position of the Operation (stereo/mono) switch.
Crossovers: The KAC-8401 has two built-in 12 dB/octave crossovers, one for Amplifier A and one for Amplifier B. Each crossover can be independently set to high-pass or low-pass operation or switched off for full-range operation. The crossover frequency is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz.
Bass Boost: A fixed bass boost of 6dB at 90Hz can be engaged for Amplifier B only. There is no bass boost for Amplifier A.
Stereo/Mono Operation: You can independently switch Amplifier A and Amplifier B for Stereo or Mono operation. When switched to Mono operation, the signal from the left channel input only is used.
Protection circuitry: The amplifier features protection circuits that will shut the amp down in case of the following events:
- Speaker output contacts ground
- Speaker wire short-circuits
- Unit malfunctions and DC is sent to speaker output
- Internal temperature is too high
- Loss of ground of head unit or amp
Fan Cooled: The KAC-8401 has a cooling fan mounted to the top of the amplifier for better ventilation.
Left Side of the Amplifier
- GND: Philips-head screw for RCA signal ground
- Speaker-level input: multi-pin input for use with included speaker level input harness
- "A" and "B" line-in jacks: two pairs of gold plated RCA inputs
- Line out jacks: gold plated RCA outputs that provide a summed signal from the "A" and "B" sets of line inputs
Right Side of the Amplifier
- Fuse: 40 amp fuse
- BATT (Power): gold plated screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- GND (Ground): gold plated screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- P.CON (remote turn-on): gold plated screw terminal (0.35" wide)
- Speaker outputs: gold plated screw terminals (0.35" wide) for front and rear, left and right loudspeakers (bridged = Left+ and Right-)
- Rated power output at 2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Rated power output at 4 ohms, bridged: 180 watts x 2 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Max power output at 4 ohms, bridged: 320 watts X 2
- Input impedance: 10k ohms
- Operating voltage: 14.4 V (11-16V allowable)
- Current consumption (1 kHz, 10% THD): 39A