About the Sonos Sub Mini
A slim, value-packed sub from Sonos
The Sub Mini pumps out rich, clear bass from an elegant design that's easy on the eyes.
A slim, value-packed sub from Sonos
The new Sub Mini makes it even more affordable to add some oomph to your Sonos system. It delivers surprisingly deep bass for such a slim, compact sub — all without any pesky buzz or rattle.
The Mini uses two 6" force-canceling woofers positioned face-to-face for powerful, balanced low-end. And its slim footprint and convenient wireless design make it easy to fit into just about any room.
Flexible setup with Sonos
The Sub Mini is a perfect companion for Sonos's Ray or Beam sound bars, adding impact and immersion to soundtracks of your favorite games and movies. You can also connect this sub up to a pair of Sonos Ones or One SLs for a banging 2.1-channel music system. If you have a Sonos Amp you can link up with a wide range of bookshelf speakers otherwise outside the Sonos ecosystem.
Match the bass to your room
If you have an iOS® device, you can calibrate the Sub Mini using Trueplay™. This automatic tuning system lets you use your iPhone® or iPad® to match the sub's settings to the specific shape and acoustics of your room. This feature makes placement easier and helps keep your bass sounding smooth and dynamic.
Easy installation and control
Getting this sub up and running only takes a couple minutes. Plug in the power and the Sonos App will automatically detect the sub. You can then group the sub with your other Sonos components with a few swipes on your smartphone.
- wireless subwoofer for Sonos speakers and components
- designed to complement the Sonos Beam, Ray, One, and One SL
- also works with Sonos Arc
- works with amplified Sonos products that use the S2 control app
- doesn't work with the Port or portable speakers like the Move or Roam
- dual 6" force-canceling woofers for deep, dynamic bass with no cabinet buzz or rattle
- each woofer powered by a dedicated Class D amplifier
- acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure
- control your Sonos system with a free mobile app on Apple® and Android™ devices
- audio settings are automatically adjusted to balance the Sub Mini with your existing Sonos players
- Trueplay™ tuning further optimizes the settings for your room (only compatible with iOS devices)
- Ethernet port for a secure wired connection
- requires AC power (cable included)
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 9-1/8"W x 12"H x 9-1/8"D
- weight: 14 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SUBM1US1
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered sub
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Quickstart Guide
- Important Product Information
Sonos Sub Mini reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sonos Sub Mini
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||16-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||48 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Amazon Music||Amazon Music HD|
|Control by app||iOS,Android,Windows,Mac,Fire|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Wireless Powered Sub
Sonos Sub Mini: The Sonos Sub Mini is a wireless powered subwoofer, designed to add deeper bass (down to 25Hz) to your Sonos listening experience. The Sub Mini works with a variety of Sonos speakers and components that support the new Sonos S2 operating system and S2 controller app. Its the perfect companion for the Sonos Beam (Gen 2), Ray, One and One SL. You can only connect one Sub Mini to a compatible Sonos speaker, soundbar, or component (does not support dual sub integration).
- Compatible Speakers: Works with the Sonos One, One SL, and Five; as well as other Sonos speaker like the Play 1, Play 3, and Play 5 (Gen 2).
- Compatible Soundbars: Works with the Sonos ARC, Beam (Gen 2), and Ray; as well as other Sonos soundbars like the Playbar, Playbase, and Beam (Gen 1). .
- Compatible Components: Works with the Sonos Amp, as well as the Connect:Amp (Gen 2).
- The Sonos Sub Mini is only compatible with Sonos products that support the new Sonos S2 operating system (OS) and S2 controller app (except for the Sonos Move, Port, and Connect).
- The Sonos Sub Mini is not compatible with older "Legacy" Sonos products that only utilize the Sonos S1 operating system and the older S1 controller app.
Woofer & Amplifier Design: Within the acoustically sealed cabinet of the Sonos Sub Mini are dual 6" custom woofers that generate deep bass down to 25Hz. Both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion, while the sealed cabinet prevents any unwanted rattle or buzz for tight, accurate bass. Each 6" woofer has its own Class-D amplifier that has been perfectly tuned to the unique acoustic architecture of the Sub Mini distortion-free bass response.. Furthermore, the integration of advanced DSP (digital signal processing) enhances the Sub Mini's bass response even more. A blend of equalization and advanced limiting algorithms allow the Sub Mini to produce deep, rich bass that is normally associated with larger subwoofers.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sonos Sub Mini works on your home WiFi network with practically any 802.11b/g/n dual-band 2.4/5GHz network capable router. It also works on SonosNet, a secure AES encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network dedicated exclusively for your Sonos system to reduce WiFi interference. In addition to its built-in SonosNet Wireless Mesh Network and WiFi, the Sub Mini is also equipped with one Ethernet port (10/100 Mbps). Use it to wire directly to your router to operate if WiFi is unstable, or use the Ethernet port to provide Internet accessibility to non-wireless devices if you're using a SonosNet Boost setup.
- You cannot connect the Sonos system via both the SonosNet proprietary mesh network and WiFi; you will need to choose one. Sonos recommends using its proprietary SonosNet wireless mesh network over WiFi when applicable.
- The Sonos proprietary mesh network will provide a more secure wireless connection with fewer interruptions for optimum performance.
- WiFi is subject to greater interference from other WiFi and 2.4GHz devices on your network.
- WiFi connectivity is not compatible with 5GHz (you will have to use the Sonos wireless mesh network in this case).
Simple Setup: Once you have positioned the Sub Mini in the room, you can press the Join button on the side of the Sub Mini in order for the system to recognize it. During setup you will be prompted through the Sonos S2 Controller app to set the subwoofer's level and phase. In some cases, you will be prompted to select the size of the stereo speakers (compact, bookshelf/ceiling, or floor) connected to the amplified player. If you move the Sub Mini to another room, you can easily reconfigure the audio and room association settings.
- DSP: The system automatically adjusts the audio settings to perfectly balance the Sub Mini and the paired Sonos component for best performance. All of the filter settings, active equalization, and time alignment are done digitally through a state-of-the-art Digital Signal Processor (DSP).
- Trueplay: Trueplay software (for Apple iOS only) dynamically tunes the speaker to the unique acoustics of the room. Trueplay, an auto-tune app within the Sonos S2 App, uses the microphone in your Apple iOS device to measure how sound reflects off walls, furnishings and other surfaces in a room, and then fine tunes the Sub Mini to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it.
- Equalizer: Adjustable EQ settings can be manually tailored in the Sonos S2 Controller app.
- In order to perform Trueplay tuning, the Sonos S2 app for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 12.0 or higher is required. This includes iPhone 4s and higher, iPad 2 and higher, as well as iPod touch 5th generation and higher. Trueplay tuning is not available if the "VoiceOver" feature is enabled on your Apple iOS device. Trueplay is currently not compatible with Android.
- You will need to retune the Sub Mini using Trueplay, if you move the subwoofer, change the orientation of subwoofer (horizontal vs. vertical), or change the configuration of the speaker setup.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Sub Mini features a unique cylindrical design that is both compact and elegant, so it fits and looks great in pratically any small to medium size room. Sub Mini's unique cylindrical cabinet was purposefully designed for flexible placement, allowing it to face any direction. It sits perfectly beside your furniture, and easily fits under a desk or table.
- For the best sound experience, place the Sub Mini upright near the speaker you're going to use it with. The center tunnel can face in any direction.
- If you place Sub Mini against a wall or your furniture, leave enough clearance for air to move freely through the center tunnel.
Note: The Sub Mini should be positioned vertically on the floor (not horizontally). It cannot be wall-mounted.
Sonos Wireless Multiroom Audio Eco-System: The Sub Mini is part of the Sonos wireless multiroom audio eco-system consisting of a family of wireless network speakers, players, and amplifiers. Start with a single Sonos product and add more Sonos products over time. With multiple zones, you can play the same or different songs in different rooms of your home. Compatible distributed audio sources include internet radio, online music services, local network music libraries, as well as hardwired inputs. Up to 32 Sonos devices and 16 groups can be connected in one system. The Sonos Amp is compatible with the new Sonos S2 operating system (OS) and the older Sonos S1 operating system (OS).
- Sonos S2 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos Five, One SL, Roam, Beam (Gen 2), ARC, Sub (Gen 3), and any Sonos products released after May 2020 will only be compatible with Sonos S2.
- Sonos S2 and S1 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1/2), Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Move, and Sub (Gen 1/2) support both Sonos S2 and S1 operating systems.
- Sonos S1 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos CR200 Controller, Zone Player, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect: Amp (Gen 1), and Play: 5 (Gen 1) will only support the older S1 operating system.
- If you have have both, older "legacy" Sonos products and newer Sonos products in your system, you have the option to create two separate eco-systems - one that will be controlled with the older Sonos S1 controller app and the other that will be controlled by the newer Sonos S2 controller app.
- Click here for more information regarding Sonos "Legacy" S1 versus the new Sonos S2 Operating System and App.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Sonos Sub Mini operates on standard household current using the supplied detachable 6.5' AC power cord. The Sub Mini is not battery powered.
Advanced Audio Controls: The volume of the Sonos Sub Mini automatically adjusts along with your paired Sonos soundbar or speaker. You can use the Sonos S2 app to customize the Sub Mini's EQ, as well as change its bass level to your preference.
Sonos S2 App: Sonos S2 is a new app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ / Android OS 8.0+ / Fire OS 7.0+ / Mac OSX 10.11+ / Windows 8+) that powers the next generation of Sonos products. The Sonos S2 app offers new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward. The updated app makes it even simpler for you to search for content, control the sound, and personalize your listening experience. Use the Sonos S2 app to setup your Sonos speaker system, control your Sonos speaker system, stream your favorite internet radio stations and online music services, access local network music libraries, and personalize your speaker system.
- Setup: The app lets you easily setup the Sonos speaker system. Get step-by-step instructions for setting up a new system and/or adding more speakers to your system.
- Control: With the Sonos S2 app, you can control all your Sonos speakers, soundbars, and components. Adjust volume levels, group products to play in sync, or play something different in every room.
- Music & Radio: The Sonos S2 app brings together hundreds of internet radio stations and online music services. You also get access to local network music libraries on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. Use the app to browse all your music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks all in one place.
- Personalized Settings: Save favorites and room groups to My Sonos to get to the music faster, create alarms so you can wake up to a favorite radio station or playlist, filter out explicit content, and more.
- Security: Enhanced protocols, including support for elliptic curve cipher suites in SSL/TLS, keep your system safer and your data more secure.
- The Sonos Sub Mini is not compatible with the older Sonos S1 Controller app and requires the new Sonos S2 Controller app.
- Some older Sonos products ("legacy" products) will not support the advances of the S2 app due to their memory and processing power. If you own any of these products, you can continue to use your system as you do today. See System Requirements for more details.
Sonos Voice Control: Using a voice-capable Sonos speaker (like the Sonos One - sold separately), you can operate a Sonos system with Sonos Voice Control. Sonos Voice Control was created purely for listening on Sonos and delivers fast, accurate hands-free control of your music and your Sonos system with privacy. With Sonos Voice Control, you can use voice requests to control Sonos products in your system. You can even ask Sonos Voice for multiple things on multiple Sonos products at once. Sonos Voice Control finds the music you want to listen to by processing requests entirely on the device for faster response times and effortless follow-ups. All you need is one "Hey Sonos" and you can follow up without the need for additional wake-words. Just like the Sonos app, you can control music and speakers in any room, easily play music around the home, save and like your favorite songs to your personal music library, and more.
- Music Control: Use Sonos Voice Control to play songs, artists, albums, playlists, genres, and more from select music services (including Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora). More services may be available in the future (not ETA). Click here for a complete list of the latest compatible music services. You can also use Sonos Voice to adjust the volume level, pause your music, skip tracks, and more. You can even ask Sonos Voice to "Like" or "Unlike" a song, as well as get information on what song is playing. In addition, you'll be able to group/ungroup rooms, plus move your music from one room to another.
- Home Theater Control: Sonos Voice can also be used to turn your compatible Sonos soundbar and HDMI-ARC connected TV on or off, as well as switch between Night and Speech enhancement modes.
- Total Privacy: Designed with privacy at its core, Sonos Voice Control processes requests entirely on the device. No audio or transcript is sent to the cloud, stored, listened to, or read by other parties.
- Click here for a more comprehensive list of Sonos Voice controls.
- Make sure your Sonos device has the latest firmware/software update installed.
Works With Alexa & Google Assistant: You can control your Sonos system through any Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (including the Sonos One, Amazon Echo, and Google Home - all sold separately). Specific control functions will vary by digital voice assistant. You'll need to download the Alexa app (Apple iOS 14.0+, Android OS 9.0+) or Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) onto your compatible mobile device for setup.
- Amazon Alexa: You can ask Alexa to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Apple Music, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, & Spotify). Using the Alexa app, you can group your Sonos products and your Alexa-enabled devices together. This makes it easier for Alexa to control your Sonos products based on which room or area they are in. You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services. Click here for more information regarding Amazon Alexa on Sonos.
- Google Assistant: You can ask Google to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Spotify, YouTube Music, Pandora, Deezer, Tidal, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio). You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services. Click here for more information regarding Google Assistant on Sonos.
- The Sonos Sub Mini does not have a built-in microphone for voice control. A separate Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device is required and sold separately for voice control.
- You can only configure your Sonos system to work with one digital voice assistant; choose either Alexa or Google Assistant (you cannot use both). You will need to search and enable the Sonos skill from the Alexa or Google Home app on your mobile device or computer. Your Sonos equipment and Amazon Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same wireless network.
- Sonos and Alexa or Google Assistant work together using a single Amazon or Google account. If you have a second Sonos system in another location, you'll need to use a second Amazon or Google account if you'd like to use Alexa. An Amazon or Google account can only be in use on one Sonos system at a time.
Internet Service Provider: You'll need a high-speed, wired internet service provider connection such as cable, fiber, or DSL. Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or 4G LTE routers can experience delays between the internet connection and Sonos and are not supported. Using these types of connections can cause music to not play, skip, or cut out completely.
Wireless Setup: All Sonos products support 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g) and Open, WEP, and WPA/WPA2 Personal WiFi security standards. Some newer Sonos products support dual-band 2.4/5GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac) and WPA3.
- The network must not contain enterprise access points that have been configured to require certificates or other forms of enterprise authentication. If you are using multiple access points, make sure they are all set to the same 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless channel.
- Networks using wireless range extenders are known to cause issues with Sonos systems that are configured in a wireless setup. If you need to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so.
- Sonos cannot connect to guest networks or networks that use a Port page to login.
Wired Setup Requirements: A Sonos system operating in a wired setup will require one of your Sonos products to remain connected to the router via Ethernet cable at all times. If your Sonos system is in a wired setup and you use a WiFi mesh router with multiple wireless nodes, we recommend wiring your Sonos product directly to the primary wired mesh node. Avoid wiring any Sonos products to the wireless mesh nodes. If you are on a corporate or advanced network, it must not block Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).
Note: Ethernet over Power devices (also known as HomePlugs or Powerline adapters) are not supported by Sonos. While they may work for some systems, they tend to cause intermittent problems with Sonos. EoP adapters create an added delay between your network and Sonos. If the internet connection is too slow or the delay is too great, it can cause your music to skip or cut out completely or your players to drop off from the network.
Sonos S1 or S2 Controller App: Sonos offers a Sonos Controller app for Apple iOS 14.0+, Android OS 8.0+, Fire OS 7.0, Mac OSX 10.11+, and Windows 8+. The Sonos S2 is a new app and operating system (OS) that powers the next generation of products and experiences. In addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 enables higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater. Most Sonos products are compatible with S2. Some older Sonos "legacy" products will not support the advances of S2 due to their memory and processing power. The older Sonos "legacy" app is referred to as the Sonos S1 app.
- Sonos Products That Support the Sonos S1 and S2 Controller App: Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1/2), Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Move, Sub (Gen 1/2).
- Sonos Products That Only Support The New S2 Controller App: Five, One SL, Roam, ARC, Sub (Gen 3), and any Sonos products released after May 2020.
- Sonos Products That Only Support The Old S1 Controller App: CR200 Controller, Zone Player, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect: Amp (Gen 1), Play: 5 (Gen 1).
- If you have have both, older "legacy" Sonos products and newer Sonos products, you have the option to create two separate eco-systems - one that will be controlled with the older Sonos S1 controller app and the other that will be controlled by the newer Sonos S2 controller app.
- Click here for more information regarding Sonos "Legacy" S1 versus the new Sonos S2 Operating System and App.
Supported Audio Files: Supported audio files from online music services and local music libraries include MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and WAV. Sonos can supports FLAC music files up to 16-bit/44.1kHz for "CD-quality" sound. All supported sample rates include 16kHz, 22.5kHz, 24.0kHz, 32.0kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz. Internet Radio streams are supported only in WMA, MP3, and AAC.
3 questions already asked
item arrived packed very well. setup was a little dicey for me but I figured it out soon enough. I already had the beam 2 and 2 Sonos ones for rear speakers. this sub just pulled everything together sound wise .its a completely different experience now. I am very happy
Willy from Monroe, NY