About the LG SN6Y
Better sound quality — the easy way
Better sound quality — the easy way
Whether you struggle to hear dialogue or you just want your action movies to sound bigger, the LG SN6Y can help. The bar combines dedicated left-, right-, and center-channel speakers with a sophisticated digital sound processing technology called DTS Virtual:X. The result is a larger soundstage than you'd expect a bar this size to produce. The system even calibrates the sound settings based on the content you're watching, so you can hear quiet dialogue and dramatic action with equal precision.
Connections are simple.
Even better? It's super-simple to get up and running. The sound bar can connect to your TV with a single cable. You can wall-mount it with the included bracket or just place it on your TV stand — it will look great either way, thanks to its streamlined design. The included subwoofer is wireless, so you can place it almost anywhere in the room. It just needs to be within about 30 feet of the sound bar and in the general vicinity of a power outlet.
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. Instead, DTS Virtual:X almost completely relies on digital sound processing.
DTS uses what they call "spatial audio techniques" to make it seem like the sound is all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Check out Jeff Miller's article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details.
Ready for an even more immersive home theater experience? Pick up LG's matching SPK8-S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing
- emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- simulated surround and height-channel speakers create a spacious, lively soundstage
- plays high-res audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz
- AI Sound Pro uses adaptive sound control to adjust settings based on what you're watching
- left and right channels are powered by 80 watts each
- dedicated center channel speaker for clear dialogue (driven by 40 watts)
- built-in Dolby® Digital decoding
- DTS Digital Surround and DTS Virtual:X
- brackets included for wall-mounting
- 41-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H x 3-7/16"D
- weight: 7.6 lbs.
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for flexible placement options
- built-in 220-watt amplifier
- AC power required, cord included
- 7-1/8"W x 15-7/16"H x 11-1/2"D
- weight: 11.7 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- optional SPK8-S wireless surround speaker kit available
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output
- supports Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- USB port lets you play digital music files from a thumb drive
- total system power: 420 watts
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # SN6Y
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AKB75595331)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 59" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-brackets
- 2 Screws
- Wall Bracket Install Guide
- Simple Manual
- Warranty Card
- Safety Information
- LGE Open Source Software Notice
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Customer reviews for LG SN6Y
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the LG SN6Y
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1|
|Virtual Surround||Movie mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||200|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||220|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||1080p|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Control by App||Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Pre-programmed|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.0|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||None|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-1/8H x 41-3/4W x 3-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.6 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-7/16H x 7-1/8W x 13-1/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||11.7 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The 3ch active soundbar speaker features dedicated Front Left, Front Right, and Center channel drivers for crystal-clear dialog and excellent stereo separation. Each Front channel consists of a tweeter and woofer, while the Center channel consists of a full-range driver. All drivers are powered by a built-in 200W amplifier. 80 watts is delivered to each of the Front Left and Right channels (45 watts to each woofer and 35 watts to each tweeter). 40 watts is delivered to the Center channel's full-range driver.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The included wireless powered subwoofer houses a front-firing 6.5" woofer powered by a built-in 220W (RMS) amplifier inside a bass reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. Because its wireless, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in your room (up to 33' from the soundbar). The wireless powered subwoofer does require an AC power outlet connection.
DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X allows the LG SN6Y's soundbar and subwoofer to deliver an immersive home theater experience with life-like sound above, beside, and behind you. Sound appears to virtually emerge from all around you, without the need for a multi-speaker setup. You’ll recognize richer bass, notice clearer dialog, and be amazed how it transforms your TV experience into an immersive three-dimensional experience when watching movies, listening to music and playing games. Designed to perform in any room regardless of size, layout, or acoustics, DTS Virtual:X is a flexible solution for any room configuration.
AI Sound Pro: LG AI Sound Pro is an artificial intelligence technology that optimizes your listening experience. AI Sound Pro automatically and intelligently analyzes source content in real-time to enhance sound quality. It automatically adjusts sound levels (including Bass & Treble) based on the audio content; from powerful action to dramatic dialog, you'll hear your entertainment with crystal-clear, detailed audio.
High Resolution Audio: The LG SN6Y is employs a 24-bit/96kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for high resolution audio that sounds closer to the real thing. Support of higher sampling rates and bit depth provide sound quality that surpasses CDs. You'll enjoy stunning 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution that is closer to the original sound.
Output Levels: The LG SN6Y provides a variety of output level adjustments for different listening applications.
- Sound Levels: You can adjust the system's overall bass & treble; as well independent channel level for the center, subwoofer, and optional rear speakers.
- Bass Blast+: Bass Blast+ reinforces the system's low frequency bass response, resulting in more powerful sound.
- Auto Volume: The LG SN6Y features Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume level of the soundbar speaker system during loud and low passages, keeping the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
- Night Mode: Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels.
- DRC: The Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) function allows you to compress the dynamic range of Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks.
Wireless Surround Ready: The SN6Y soundbar system has been designed to integrate with LG's SPK8-S optional wireless surround speakers (sold separately), adding dedicated rear channels with wireless convenience for 5.1ch surround sound. The SPK8-S includes an amplifier/receiver unit and pair of speakers that link wirelessly to the LG soundbar.
Note: The LG Wireless Surround Sound Kit (SPK8-S) will require and AC power outlet connection and speaker wire connection. The kit's wireless receiver/amplifier receives its audio signal wirelessly from a compatible LG soundbar speaker. The rear surround speakers connect to the wireless receiver/amplifier using speaker wire. The wireless receiver/amplifier also requires connection to an AC power outlet.
Mounting & Placement Options: The LG SN6Y offers flexible mounting and placement options for its active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- Soundbar: The active soundbar speaker can be positioned on a flat tabletop surface. The soundbar can also be wall mounted using the included wall-mount brackets (mounting screws not supplied). The soundbar should be centered above or below your flat-panel television.
- Subwoofer: Because its wireless, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in your room (up to 33' from the soundbar). But, it is better to place the subwoofer near the soundbar for optimum sound quality. Turn it slightly toward the center of the room to reduce the wall reflections.
HDM In/Out: The LG SN6Y soundbar speaker system is equipped with a HDMI 1.4 input and HDMI 1.4 ARC output that support 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video. The HDMI jacks also support Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel audio formats. The ARC (Audio Return Channel) function of the soundbar's HDMI output enables an HDMI capable TV to send its audio stream to the HDMI output of the soundbar system.
- Because some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player or Satellite/Cable box to the LG SK8Y directly; and then connect the SN6Y's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
- Not compatible with 4K or HDR video. Not compatible with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the LG SN6Y is equipped with a optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch), DTS (up to 5.1ch), and PCM (up to 2ch) audio signals.
- The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- The LG SN6Y is not equipped with any analog audio inputs.
Built-In Bluetooth: The LG SN6Y features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), as well as wireless TV connectivity. You can pair up to multiple devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (including smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the LG soundbar system. In addition to the standard SBC Bluetooth codec, the system is also compatible with AAC for higher-quality playback from Apple iOS devices. Basic control (such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included IR remote. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album display will still need to be done through your Bluetooth source device (not the soundbar).
- Wireless TV Connection: You can even setup your Bluetooth-enabled TV to stream its audio wirelessly to the LG SN6Y soundbar speaker system. When connected to a Bluetooth-enabled TV, the LG SN6Y only decodes 2ch audio. Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats are not supported via Bluetooth. During a wireless Bluetooth connection, you can use the TV's remote or the soundbar's remote to raise and lower the volume.
- The SN6Y does not support Bluetooth hands-free for making or answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the LG system.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The rear-panel USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class) device for playback of select music files, including Hi-Res music files. Your USB MSC device (such as a USB thumbdrive) must be formatted in FAT 16, FAT 32, or NTFSwith a maximum total of 2,000 folders and 2,000 files. You can control Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat from the include IR remote. The USB port is rated at 5V/500mA and can also be used to charge small USB-enabled electronic devices. Compatible music files include -
- FLAC: up to 24-bit/192kHz (will down-convert to 96kHz)
- WAV: up to 24-bit/192kHz (will down-convert to 96kHz)
- MP3: up to 320kbps/48kHz
- WMA: up to 128kbps/48kHz
- OGG: up to 500kbps/48kHz
- This USB port does not support playback from Apple or Android iOS devices, laptops or computers, and USB hubs or card-readers.
- The USB port does not support playback of video or photo files from any device.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the LG SN6Y soundbar speaker system.
TV Remote Compatible: You can reduce remote control clutter by using your TV remote to operate the LG soundbar speaker system. Eight brands of television remotes are pre-programmed and currently supported (including LG, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp), enabling volume adjustment on the soundbar.
HDMI-CEC (SimpLink): Some functions of the soundbar speaker system can also be controlled by your TV's remote when the speaker system and your HDMI-CEC compatible TV are connected via HDMI. Controllable functions by your TV's remote control include power on/off, volume up/down, and mute.
Music Flow Bluetooth App (for Android only): The Music Flow Bluetooth app (for Android OS 4.0.4+) allows advance control of music files stored on your compatible Android smartphone or tablet for wireless playback on the LG SN6Y soundbar speaker system.
Note: The Music Flow Bluetooth app is not compatible with Apple iOS.
Side-Panel Controls: There are 4 buttons on the right side of th soundbar speaker. The buttons operate Power On/Off, Source Selection/Pairing, Volume Up, and Volume Down.
Auto Functions: The SN6Y soundbar system recognizes audio input signals from HDMI, Optical, and Bluetooth so it can automatically switch to the appropriate source input. The soundbar system will turn itself off automatically, when the system does not sense an audio signal and is not used for approximately 15 minutes.
4 questions already asked