About the DALI Opticon 2 MK2
Stand-mount speakers with a wide "sweet spot"
Stand-mount speakers with a wide "sweet spot"
The Opticon 2 MK2 is the largest bookshelf speaker in DALI's made-in-Denmark Opticon lineup. A pair of these carefully crafted speakers will deliver a beautiful, rich soundstage. From the ultra-light soft-dome tweeter, to the wood-fiber woofer, and even the crossover, DALI's goals are low coloration and wide dispersion. The first is important because you want to hear your music the way it's supposed to sound, and the second because you're not always sitting in the sweet spot.
In fact, DALI is so committed to their wide-dispersion approach, the company recommends that you don't "toe-in" these speakers toward your listening position. You'll get clearer, less-distorted sound, they explain, with the speakers firing straight ahead, and their cabinets parallel to the wall behind them.
Big soundstage from a medium-sized bookshelf
The Opticon 2 MK2s can fill a good-sized room with powerful, textured sound, especially when mounted on high-quality stands. DALI also suggests giving them some breathing room — at least 4" and as much as 32" from the wall behind them.
DALI also carefully designed these speakers for a seamless handoff between the drivers. The woofer's stiff, lightweight construction — a blend of fine-grain paper pulp reinforced with wood fibers — has an inviting sonic signature. And the 1-1/8" tweeter also reproduces relatively low frequencies — for a tweeter — so that it overlaps with the woofer in the most musical manner.
Further rounding out the low end, DALI's Dual Flare port design minimizes turbulence with careful regulation of the airflow determined by the port diameter and cabinet tuning frequency.
Patented distortion-reducing technology
The patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) woofer magnet pole pieces in DALI's Opticon line significantly reduce mechanical distortion, and help create a relaxed, uncolored midrange. You'll hear a surprising amount of detail, without fatiguing your ears.
Introduce yourself to Danish speaker mojo
DALI — Danish Audiophile Loudspeaker Industries — has been making high-end speakers since 1983. The Opticon is their most affordable made-in-Denmark line, and we think it offers great bang for your buck. They're assembled in pairs by a single DALI technician, to ensure visual and acoustic matching. Tight vinyl-dressed, high-density MDF cabinets, with internal bracing and acoustic damping material throughout, all but eliminate resonance. This helps the speaker "disappear," and the music come alive.
The Opticon 2 MK2 doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- matched pair of bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1-1/8" ultra-light soft textile dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" wood fiber cone woofer
- patented SMC (soft magnetic compound) woofer magnet significantly reduces distortion from mechanical loss
- bass reflex enclosure
- Dual Flare rear-firing port
- frequency response: 59-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 86.5 dB
- recommended power: 30-150 watts
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- 2-way speaker with crossover at 2.0 kHz
- MDF cabinet with Satin Black vinyl finish
- black cloth grille
- high-quality binding-posts accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) or single banana plugs
- assembled by hand in Denmark
- 7-11/16"W x 13-13/16"H x 11-11/16"D
- weight: 17 pounds (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
DALI Opticon 2 MK2 owner's manual
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Rubber feet
- Quick Start Guide
- Congratulations Card
DALI Opticon 2 MK2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the DALI Opticon 2 MK2
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.125|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Wood Fiber|
|Frequency Response||59-25k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-26|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Hand-Assembled In Denmark: All elements of the DALI drivers and cabinets are designed, produced and manufactured in-house in Denmark. The building of the cabinet, mounting of the drivers, plus the final tests and approvals on each and every DALI OPTICON MK2 Series speaker is handled directly at their own assembly lines in their Danish factory. The OPTICON MK2 Series manufacturing process is designed to ensure that stereo pairs of speakers are built and tested sequentially by a single manufacturing technician, using components taken in the same order from the same batch. It's a process that helps ensure ultimate visual and acoustic pair matching.
1.125" Soft-Dome Tweeter: The new unique light-weight 1.125" soft-dome tweeter offers significant advances over the tweeters used in previous models and series. The relatively small increase in diameter over the previous tweeter results in a significant increase in dome radiating area. This means lower distortion, higher power handling, and an ability to operate at lower frequencies. The use of the same 1.125" soft-dome tweeter across all OPTICON MK2 models results in consistency of tonal character and provides consistency of dispersion characteristics. The MK2 soft-dome tweeter enables crossover frequencies as low as 2kHz to be safely employed with no risk of distortion or power handling limitations.
6.5" Woofer: The 6.5" OPTICON 2 MK2 woofer was designed with a consistent focus on the DALI audio principles of low-loss, low distortion and low coloration. The ideal driver plays only what the amplifier requires, with nothing added and nothing subtracted for the most natural sound reproduction.
- Wood Fiber Cone: Every component of the driver is carefully designed for its positive contribution towards ideal performance. The diaphragm is made from a mix of paper and wood fiber that ensures minimal break-up resonance and gives the diaphragm its distinctive DALI trademark color. It is terminated by rubber surrounds chosen for its soft and very flexible mechanical properties that enable free movement with minimal low frequency damping. The driver chassis is manufactured in die-cast aluminum that provides extremely high rigidity and low resonance along with minimal extraneous influence on the internal magnet system. The mechanical design of the chassis is specifically engineered to provide minimal impedance to airflow while at the same time enabling extremely tight mechanical bonding with the speaker enclosure.
- SMC Technology:The OPTICON 2 MK2 driver magnet system consists of a large ferrite ring magnet surrounding a pole piece manufactured entirely of the unique DALI SMC material. The pole piece and the ferrite magnet are secured between soft iron front and back plates to create the appropriate magnetic field for the voice-coil. DALI SMC (Soft Magnetic Compound) is a coated magnet granular material that can be formed to almost any desired shape and has many advantages used in driver magnet systems. SMC’s unusual combination of very high magnetic permeability and very low electrical conductivity is exactly what is required for driver magnet systems and results in a significant reduction of electro-acoustic distortion. SMC minimizes and reduces distortion, while improving linearity for a more natural sound that is unmasked and uncolored.
Bass Reflex Port Design: As a reflex loaded speaker, the OPTICON 2 MK2 employs the otherwise unused acoustic output from the rear of its bass driver to extend low frequency bandwidth and increase low frequency power handling. DALI revisited the port tuning to ensure that the subjective bass performance was absolutely optimized for its likely installation application. With a Dual Flare technique, the the OPTICON MK2 Series brings port design into the realm of aerodynamics with exit and entry flares carefully designed to minimize turbulence at the airflow rate expected from the port diameter and tuning frequency. The dual flare design enables the reflex ports to remain smooth and work effectively to reinforce low frequency performance to a significantly higher volume level than would otherwise be the case.
Custom Built MDF Cabinet: The enclosure of the OPTICON 2 MK2 is designed to optimist rigidity and minimize panel resonance. The 25mm thick front-baffle provides massively rigid foundations for the drivers. The manufacturing of the OPTICON MK2 series has been retained firmly at the DALI factory in Denmark. Their in-house woodworking facility handles everything from cutting and routing the MDF panels to the driver and crossover installation. The final test and quality approval on each and every speaker is also handled on our own assembly lines.
Note: Available in a Satin Black, Tobacco Walnut, or Satin White finish.
High-Quality Binding Post Terminals: The DALI OPTICON 2 MK2 bookshelf speaker is outfitted with high-quality, heavy-duty binding-post terminals that provide a secure maximum grip on speaker cables, whether bare wire (up to 10AWG) or banana plugs (single only).
Mounting Options: The bookshelf loudspeaker comes with self-adhesive rubber feet for safe placement on a flat tabletop surface; such as a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, or bookcase. The rubber feet add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker. The speaker can be placed as little as 3.9375" and as much as 31.5" from the wall and still deliver great sound. The OPTICON 2 MK2 should ideally be positioned, so that the height of the tweeter is approximately at ear height when seated in your favorite listening position.
Note: The OPTICON 2 MK2 does not offer any keyhole slot, threaded insert, or bracket for wall-mounting the speaker.
.DALI OPTICON MK2 Series: Combining a Danish design with both tried-and-tested and new speaker technologies, the DALI OPTICON MK2 Series delivers a striking sound that is dynamic and pure. The OPTICON MK2 Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (OPTICON 6 MK2 / OPTICON 8 MK2), two bookshelf loudspeakers (OPTICON 1 MK2 / OPTICON 2 MK2), a center-channel speaker (OPTICON VOKAL MK2), and LCR speaker (OPTICON LCR MK2) - all sold separately