About the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10
A brilliant speaker design from Andrew Jones and Mobile Fidelity
Legendary speaker designer Andrew Jones created the 10" Twin-Drive concentric driver inside these MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10 speakers.
A brilliant speaker design from Andrew Jones and Mobile Fidelity
Mobile Fidelity is one of those companies that never stops trying to improve our stereo listening experience. They hired legendary speaker designer Andrew Jones to help them create a spectacular speaker, and the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10 is the result.
Unique driver and front baffle
Each speaker features a cutting-edge 10" Twin-Drive concentric driver that delivers coherent imaging, low distortion, and impressive frequency response. The eye-catching faceted front baffle reduces diffraction for a more precise and detailed stereo image. The driver is housed in a solid cabinet with vertical and horizontal internal bracing that reduces vibration, all encased in attractive real wood veneer.
The SourcePoint 10 is exceptionally easy to drive, which is not always the case with speakers of its caliber. That means you'll have flexibility when it comes to choosing an amplifier.
Live and in-person experience with the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10
When I heard that MoFi Electronics would demo their new speaker at the 2022 Capital Audiofest in nearby Rockville, Maryland, I was intrigued. When I was subsequently informed that the brilliant designer and raconteur Andrew Jones was planning to show them off in person, I knew I had to be there. Full of anticipation, I hopped in a car on a cold, rainy November day and made the two-plus-hour drive from our Charlottesville HQ to the festival.
Commanding the room
The Audiofest takes place in a multi-story hotel, so MoFi set up their gear in a modest hotel room with all of the standard furniture removed. When I entered the room, I was immediately aware that our DJ was Andrew Jones himself — the man who designed the speakers — but I got the impression that most visitors had no idea. Which was great, because their reactions were likely very honest. Mr. Jones had a tablet in his hand, streaming through a HiFi Rose RS150B hi-res network streamer. It was connected to the powerful — and very cool-looking — HiFi Rose RA180, which drove his beautiful speakers with robust amplification.
And they sounded as good as they looked. Mr. Jones started with a classic Harry Belafonte track, which deftly showcased the warm, clear tone of the singer's voice. Then he put them through their paces, venturing into jazz territory and then showcasing the agility of the concentric driver with a virtuoso rock performance. Finally, he brought up the show-stopper — an idiosyncratic electronic piece by Deadmau5 that left no doubt as to the bass bona fides of the 10-inch concentric driver. The speaker's accuracy throughout its frequency range was impressive, and the profound depth of the low end led to audible murmurs of delight from the audiophiles gathered in the room.
The mind behind the speakers
I got a chance to talk to Andrew after the demo, and he explained the appeal of working with MoFi Electronics: "They want to give me a chance to innovate," he said. "I like being challenged with ideas, and if I'm given enough freedom to implement that, I'm happy. This speaker has an immediacy and impact I couldn't get when designing smaller speakers."
The SourcePoint 10 shows that great things can happen when an experienced designer with plenty of ideas is given the opportunity to follow his muse.
Invest in good speaker stands for maximum sound quality
Proper placement is crucial to getting the best performance out of any speakers, and the stand-mountable SourcePoint 10s are no exception. This is a larger-than-usual bookshelf speaker, so we recommend placing each on a custom-made MoFi SP10 stand to help eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections, and to raise them to ideal listening height.
The SourcePoint 10 doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- pair of speakers
- innovative 10" Twin-Drive concentric driver
- includes 1-1/4" soft dome tweeter
- faceted front baffle reduces diffraction for more precise sound
- form-fitting faceted magnetic grille
- power handling: 30-200 watts RMS
- frequency response: 42-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- 5-way binding posts
- real wood veneer cabinet
- designed by audio legend Andrew Jones
- we recommend placing each speaker on a custom-made MoFi SP10 stand
Dimensions and warranty:
- 14-3/8"W x 22-1/2"H x 17-7/16"D
- weight: 46.2 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10 owner's manual
- 2 Stand-mount loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.25|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Woofer Composition||Paper Pulp|
|Woofer Surround||Foamed Rubber|
|Frequency Response||42-30k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||20-22|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Concentric 2-Way Driver Design: Custom-developed by Andrew Jones through 18 months of R&D, the MoFi SourcePoint 10's concentric 2-way driver design delivers stunning clarity and deep bass impact. The SourcePoint 10's concentric 2-way driver design consists 10" cone woofer with a centrally located 1.25" tweeter that is mounted on the center axis of the woofer and is positioned at the apex of the cone. The common axis removes the spatial disparity and eliminates the distance and timing differences between the woofer and tweeter.
- 10" Paper-Pulp Cone Woofer: The 10" paper-pulp cone with low-profile multi-roll surround has nearly 2.5x the surface area of a typical 6.5" bass driver, and barely needs to move in order to produce large and dynamic sound. This keeps a consistent waveguide around the tweeter for the most coherent sound possible, with the least amount of distortion, and without sacrificing bass.
- 1.25" Soft-Dome Tweeter: Fitted centrally within the 10" bass driver is a 1.25" soft dome tweeter with a wide-roll surround and large diameter voice coil. The tweeter has great power handling and minimal thermal compression, allowing it to come in at 1.6kHz and deliver smooth response beyond 30kHz.
Natural Waveguide: Locating the 1.25" tweeter at the apex of the cone allows the 10" cone to act as a waveguide for the tweeter. The purpose of a waveguide is controlling the directivity of the sound source. In a concentric configuration, it matches the directivity of the tweeter through the crossover frequency range to that of the woofer. The off-axis responses now become much better matched, resulting in improved directivity and room response.
Twin-Drive High-Flux Neodymium Magnet System: The heart of the SourcePoint 10 is an innovative Twin-Drive high-flux neodymium magnet system. It is not enough to simply optimize the frequency response of the woofer and tweeter. It is also critically important to minimize distortion in the motor structure of the drive unit. If the motor has distortion, it will generate new frequencies outside of the original signal. MoFi has been very deliberate with the design of the motor to reduce these distortions. The Twin-Drive system creates a fully symmetrical magnetic field, eliminating flux modulation for extremely low intermodulation distortion (IMD). This technical achievement is an important part of why the SourcePoint 10 sounds so pure and accurate.
High-Quality Cabinet Construction: A large woofer, like the 10" paper-pulp cone woofer of the SourcePoint 10, requires a large cabinet that won't add resonance. The SourcePoint 10's cabinet uses thick MDF panels and extensive internal bracing. The top, bottom, and sides are 1" thick MDF wrapped in beautiful real wood veneer. The faceted front baffle is 2" thick MDF finished in a smooth satin black coating. Two internal braces connect the top, sides, and bottom to further strengthen the cabinet.
- 2" Thick Baffle: The front baffle is the launch point for the 10" paper-pulp cone woofer. It needs to be strong and free of sound reflection. The SourcePoint 10 uses a sculpted baffle with multiple facets to eliminate diffraction. All you hear is the smooth and even response of the driver, not the sound of the cabinet.
- Real Wood Veneers: The SourcePoint 10 uses furniture-grade real wood veneer that is book matched for mirror-imaged grain patterns on both of the speakers. The SourcePoint 10 has a unique combination of modern and classic style which suits a wide variety of interiors. You can choose between Satin Walnut or Satin Black Ash.
Bass Reflex Design: The MoFi SourcePoint 10's speaker cabinet employs a bass reflex design with dual rear firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The two bass ports have been carefully fine tuned to prevent unwanted port noise ("chuffing") that can lead to distortion of sound.
Magnetic Grille: The SourcePoint 10 speaker includes a fabric-wrapped grille that attaches magnetically and is perfectly form-fitting to retain the profile of the speaker cabinet's distinguished multi-faceted baffle.
Binding Post Terminals: The MoFi SourcePoint 10 is outfitted with a set of high-quality, heavy-duty binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). The speaker has a nominal impedance of 8-ohm with a minimum impedance of 6.2-ohm.
Mounting & Placement Options: The MoFi SourcePoint 10 is a large stand-mount speaker that measures 14.375" (w) x 22.5" (h) x 17.4375" (d), and weighs 46.2 lbs. Its too large to fit on most bookshelves or other shelving. You'll need a high-quality, heavy-duty floor stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). A set of four self-adhesive rubber feet help to isolate and secure the speaker on your floor stand. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. Follow these general guidelines to help optimize the performance of SourcePoint 10 speaker.
- A pair of speakers should be positioned so they form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. Each speaker should then be angled ("toed-in") toward the listener. With the concentric-driver utilized in this speaker, you may get best results by rotating the speakers so that their axes points slightly in front of or behind the listener.
- The centrally located tweeter of the speaker's concentric-driver system should ideally be positioned 33" from the floor and relatively at ear level when you are in your main seated listening position.
- The speaker should be positioned approximately 2' to 4' away from boundaries such as walls and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass responsiveness, but if the speakers are positioned too close to a boundary, the bass may sound excessive or "boomy".
Note: The MoFi SourcePoint 10 does not offer a mounting bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.