About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M II
Lose yourself in sound
Lose yourself in sound
Klipsch's new RP-500M II bookshelf speakers provide detailed sound without taking up too much space. The company slightly reworked the woofer and tweeter for noticeable improvements over the previous generation. Their eye-catching copper-colored woofers and modern design make them a fun addition to your decor.
The RP-500M II's versatility cannot be overstated. You can use a pair of them to rock a two-channel music setup. Or you can use them as front- or surround-channel speakers in a home theater system. In either case, their clear, dynamic sound draws you into whatever you're listening to.
A refined horn and updated tweeter
The 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter features a vented housing to reduce standing waves that can compromise sound quality. The hallmark Tractrix® horn it's housed in has a widened mouth for better soundstaging and directivity. That means a wider "sweet spot" overall and better imaging within that sweet spot. The horn also sports a soft silicone face and a unique phase plug to keep the highs smooth and non-fatiguing.
Under-the-hood driver upgrades
Metallic drivers aren't anything new for Klipsch speakers, but the company has made significant improvements to the motor structures behind the 500M II's cone. Each speaker's 5-1/4" woofer uses a 70% larger voice coil for greater control, speed, and accuracy. The woofers also have new aluminum shorting rings that help reduce distortion and let the drivers handle some extra power.
A ported cabinet for deeper bass
The cabinets have a rear-firing Tractrix port that helps deepen each speaker's bass response. The port's horn shape promotes more efficient airflow in and out of the cabinet, minimizing port noise and low-frequency distortion.
Since these speakers use a ported cabinet, you don't want to place them up against a wall. Instead, I recommend giving the speakers some "breathing room" by pulling them away from your wall a little. Their bass response will thank you.
The RP-500M II doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
- 5-1/4" Cerametallic™ cone woofer
- frequency response: 50-25,000 Hz (± 3dB)
- power handling: up to 75 watts RMS
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port
- magnetic grille protects drivers and looks stylish
- furniture-grade ebony vinyl with scratch-resistant design and satin-painted baffles
- aluminum binding post speaker terminals with audiophile-grade internal speaker wiring
- cork pads on bottom add stability and security while helping decouple the speaker from surfaces
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 6-7/8"W x 13-9/16"H x 10-5/8"D
- weight: 13.1 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1070017
What's in the box:
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M II owner's manual
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M II reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M II
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Hybrid Tractrix Horn|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Power Range||up to 75|
|Frequency Response||50-25k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Wall-mountable||With optional bracket|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter: The Klipsch RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker features a 1" Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter with a Hybrid Tractrix Horn for exceptional high frequency response, detail, and dispersion. Klipsch proprietary Tractrix horn-loaded technology ensures high-frequency energy of the RP-500M II bookshelf speakers are aimed directly at the listener and reduces unwanted, artificial reverb caused by indirect sound bouncing off walls - meaning you experience the most clear, detailed, lifelike sound possible.
- Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter: The titanium tweeter diaphragm's lightweight yet rigid composition exceeds the performance of aluminum, polymer or silk tweeters. A vented tweeter design reduces standing waves behind the tweeter diaphragm for a smoother high frequency reproduction. Klipsch award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology leverages a piston motion of the titanium diaphragm that lowers distortion and delivers real-to-life sound.
- Hybrid Tractrix Horn Technology: The new larger 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix Horn ensures a better transmission of highs and mids for a wider listening soundstage. The newly designed Hybrid Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The Hybrid Tractrix Horn's compressed molded silicon face adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and horn resonance for a smoother frequency response with improved detail - creating a clean and natural sound. Klipsch also utilizes computer modeled phase plugs that act as a mechanical filter to further ensure a smooth, flat frequency response while protecting the tweeter from damage.
5.25" Cerametallic Woofer: The RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a 5.25" Klipsch Proprietary Cerametallic woofer that has been redesigned for exceptional power handling, minimum distortion, and maximum efficiency. Cerametallic consists of extremely light, rigid materials that can hold shape while being able to deliver lower frequencies with maximum efficiency. The redesigned Cerametallic cone woofer features a 70% larger voice coill for increased power handling, new aluminum shorting rings for lower distortion, and an improved motor structure for better cone control with more speed and accuracy.
Rear Tractrix Port: The rear Tractrix port of the RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker is perfectly matched to the cabinet and woofer, creating ideal airflow with minimal distortion and turbulence even at the lowest frequencies. Klipsch Tractrix ports have custom designed inner flares that help reduce air turbulence entering the port. Less turbulent air helps reduce port noise for cleaner, more powerful bass.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch RP-500M II's speaker enclosure uses furniture-grade materials and finishes. The speaker enclosure is constructed of MDF with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction utilizes internal bracing and a divided cabinet design to reduce cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. The MDF enclosure also features a satin painted baffle with a scratch resistant design for an elegant look without the grille.
Acoustically Transparent Grille: The Klipsch RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker comes with a removable, black cloth grille that is magnetic and acoustically transparent. This strong magnetic grille provides protection and a sleek aesthetic look to compliment your home's decor.
Binding Posts: The Klipsch Reference Premiere series bookshelf speaker is outfitted with sturdy binding posts to ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
Mounting Options: The Klipsch RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker can be placed on a speaker stand, bookshelf, table, or other flat surface. It can also be wall-mounted using an optional wall-bracket
- Tabletop: The bookshelf loudspeaker comes with an integrated cork pad on the bottom of the speaker enclosure to secure the speaker in place and prevent any damage to your stand's or shelf's surface.
- Wall-Mount: The RP-500M II features a 3/8" threaded insert on the back of the cabinet for wall-mounting the speaker with an optional bracket (sold separately).
Application & Placement: The Klipsch RP-500M II bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a dedicated stereo application or in a home theater application as front and/or rear speakers.
- Front Placement: For optimum performance in a stereo application or as front speakers in a home theater application, Klipsch suggests placing the loudspeakers 6' to 15' apart. They may also be toed-in slightly for better stereo imaging. The listening position should be about 1 to 1.5x the distance separating the speakers.
- Rear Placement: When used as surround speakers in a home theater setup, the loudspeakers should be placed approximately 2' above the listening position. Typically this will be approximately 5' to 7' above the floor. The surrounds should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position. Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position.
Reference Premiere II Series: The Klipsch Reference Premiere II series utilizes a larger hybrid 90°x90° Tractrix Horn, a vented LTS titanium tweeter, redesigned Cerametallic woofer cone, and Tractrix geometry port technology for sound that is impactful and immersive. The Reference Premiere II series by Klipsch consists of a variety of floorstanding (RP-5000F II / RP-6000F II / RP-8000F II / RP-8060FA II), bookshelf (RP-500M II / RP-600M II), center (RP-404C / RP-500C II / RP-504C), surround (RP-502S II), and Atmos speakers (RP-500SA II) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Sub: For bigger & deeper bass response, pair the Klipsch Reference Premiere II series loudspeaker with one of Klipsch's powered subwoofers (sold separately - click on Accessories Tab).
1 question already asked
Really good quality, sound very good. Using them as B speakers with Bose 901s and they keep up nicely. I would purchase Klipsch again.
Derek from Hanoverton, OH