About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II
Extra immersion for your home theater
Extra immersion for your home theater
Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers are tailor-made for home theater. They deliver sound with authority and precision, all without a hint of distortion. If you're rounding out your RP-series system, the 502S II surround speakers are worth considering — especially if you have a larger room.
These surround speakers look a bit different than your normal direct-firing, bookshelf-style speakers. The two 5-1/4" woofers and 1" tweeters on each speaker fire at a 90-degree angle from one another for wide, 180-degree sound dispersion. They give tasty depth and a sense of realism to sounds off to the side or back of your listening position, depending on where you have them placed.
What's new with the IIs?
This is the second iteration of the RP-502S speakers, and Klipsch gave their drivers some extra attention for better sound.
Each 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter feature a new vented housing to reduce standing waves that can compromise sound quality. Each tweeter lies inside Klipsch's hallmark Tractrix® horn. The new horns have a widened mouth for better soundstaging and directivity. The horn also sports a soft silicone face and a unique phase plug to keep the highs smooth and non-fatiguing.
Metallic drivers aren't anything new for Klipsch speakers, but the company has made significant improvements to the motor structures behind the cones. Each woofer has a 70% larger voice coil for greater control, speed, and accuracy. The woofers also have new aluminum shorting rings that help reduce distortion and let the drivers handle some extra power.
- pair of surround speakers for home theater
- dual 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeters with Tractrix® horns
- dual 5-1/4" Cerametallic™ cone woofers
- Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST) for lifelike cinematic sound even in less-than-ideal placement spots
- two sets of drivers fire at a 90-degree angle from one another for immersive, wraparound sound effects
- frequency response: 62-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 94 dB
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- furniture-grade ebony vinyl with scratch-resistant design and satin-painted baffles
- keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 11-15/16"W x 13-15/16"H x 7-9/16"D
- weight: 16.7 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # 1070020
What's in the box:
- 2 Surround loudspeakers
- 4 Grilles
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber pads
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Customer reviews for Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||WDST|
|Tweeter Type||Tractrix Horn|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Power Range||up to 100|
|Frequency Response||62-25k Hz|
|Height (inches)||13 15/16|
|Width (inches)||11 15/16|
|Depth (inches)||7 9/16|
|Bracket Included||Fixed keyhole mount|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST): As the cornerstone of every Klipsch surround speaker, proprietary Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST) provides astounding sonic detail for lifelike, cinematic sound in practically any room; even with less-than-ideal placement configurations. The Klipsch RP-502S II delivers precise sonic detail through the careful positioning of two Hybrid Tractrix Horn loaded titanium tweeters and dual 5.25" Cerametallic woofers. By aligning the two horn tweeters at 90° with respect to each other, along with the dual 5.25" woofers, the RP-502S II smoothly covers a 180° horizontal arc, allowing maximum placement flexibility. This unique Wide Dispersion Surround Technology will produce a smooth, seamless broad distribution of sound for your home theater system.
Two 1" Horn-Loaded Tweeters: The Klipsch RP-502S II surround loudspeaker utilizes two 1" Titanium LTS Vented Tweeters with Hybrid Tractrix Horn technology for exceptional high frequency response, detail, and dispersion. Klipsch proprietary Tractrix horn-loaded technology ensures high-frequency energy of the RP-502S II surround speakers are aimed directly at the listener and reduces unwanted, artificial reverb caused by indirect sound bouncing off walls - meaning you experience the most clear, detailed, lifelike sound possible.
- Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter: The titanium tweeter diaphragm's lightweight yet rigid composition exceeds the performance of aluminum, polymer or silk tweeters. A vented tweeter design reduces standing waves behind the tweeter diaphragm for a smoother high frequency reproduction. Klipsch award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology leverages a piston motion of the titanium diaphragm that lowers distortion and delivers real-to-life sound.
- Hybrid Tractrix Horn Technology: The new larger 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix Horn ensures a better transmission of highs and mids for a wider listening soundstage. The newly designed Hybrid Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The Hybrid Tractrix Horn's compressed molded silicon face adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and horn resonance for a smoother frequency response with improved detail - creating a clean and natural sound. Klipsch also utilizes computer modeled phase plugs that act as a mechanical filter to further ensure a smooth, flat frequency response while protecting the tweeter from damage.
Dual 5.25" Cerametallic Woofers: The RP-502S II surround loudspeaker utilizes two 5.25" Klipsch proprietary Cerametallic woofers that have been redesigned for exceptional power handling, minimum distortion, and maximum efficiency. Cerametallic consists of extremely light, rigid materials that can hold shape while being able to deliver lower frequencies with maximum efficiency. The redesigned Cerametallic cone woofer features a 70% larger voice coill for increased power handling, new aluminum shorting rings for lower distortion, and an improved motor structure for better cone control with more speed and accuracy.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch RP-502S II's speaker enclosure uses furniture-grade materials and finishes. The speaker enclosure is constructed of MDF with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction utilizes internal bracing and a divided cabinet design to reduce cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. The MDF enclosure also features a satin painted baffle with a scratch resistant design for an elegant look without the grille.
Acoustically Transparent Grille: The Klipsch RP-502S II surround loudspeaker comes with a removable, black cloth grille that is magnetic and acoustically transparent. This strong magnetic grille provides protection and a sleek aesthetic look to compliment your home's decor.
5-Way Binding Posts: The Klipsch Reference Premiere II series surround speaker is outfitted with sturdy, 5-way binding posts to ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single or dual), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
Placement & Mounting Options: The Klipsch WDST surround speakers should be placed approximately 2' above the listening position. Typically this will be about 5'-7' above the floor. The surround speakers should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position. Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position. The Klipsch RP-502S II can be simply placed on a flat surface or wall mounted.
- Stand Mount: The Klipsch surround speaker can be placed on a speaker stand, bookshelf, table, or other flat surface.
- Wall Mount: The RP-502S II features a single keyhole slot on the back of the cabinet for wall-mounting the speaker without any additional wall-mount bracket (mounting screws not supplied). The included rubber pads attach to the back of the speaker to keep the speaker aligned with your wall and to prevent any wall damage. There is also a 3/8" threaded insert on the back of the speaker for use with optional wall-mount brackets (sold separately).
Reference Premiere II Series: The Klipsch Reference Premiere II series utilizes a larger hybrid 90°x90° Tractrix Horn, a vented LTS titanium tweeter, redesigned Cerametallic woofer cone, and Tractrix geometry port technology for sound that is impactful and immersive. The Reference Premiere II series by Klipsch consists of a variety of floorstanding (RP-5000F II / RP-6000F II / RP-8000F II / RP-8060FA II), bookshelf (RP-500M II / RP-600M II), center (RP-404C / RP-500C II / RP-504C), surround (RP-502S II), and Atmos speakers (RP-500SA II) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Sub: For bigger & deeper bass response, pair the Klipsch Reference Premiere II series loudspeaker with one of Klipsch's powered subwoofers (sold separately - click on Accessories Tab).
The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-502S II replaces these items
- dual 1" horn-loaded tweeters and dual 5-1/4" woofers
- woofers and tweeters fire in different directions for immersive, wraparound sound effects
- frequency response: 58-25,000 Hz