About the Definitive Technology UIW RSS II
Ultra-immersive surround effects
Ultra-immersive surround effects
Designing your dream home theater? If you're going in-wall or in-ceiling for your surround channels, check out Definitive Technology's UIW RSS II. This unique bipolar speaker fires sound in multiple directions at the same time — ideal for immersive sound effects with movies and video games.
Pair the UIW RSS II with Reference Line Source speakers for seamless, voice-matched sound throughout your room.
An integrated sealed enclosure helps deliver excellent sound while keeping dust and dirt away.
Dual passive radiators help deliver extra punch
The UIW RSS II pairs two 4-1/2" polypropylene midrange/bass drivers with two 1" aluminum dome tweeters to produce the natural, revealing sound Def Tech is known for.
Dual 4-1/2" pressure-coupled passive radiators help reinforce this speaker's impressive bass output.
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
One of my favorite features of the UIW RSS II is the back-box that's built onto the speaker.
This carefully designed enclosure helps the speaker deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out.
You can paint the included grille to have your speaker blend in with your room's décor.
- bipolar, angled-baffle design provides immersive surround effects
- ideal for the surround channels of a custom-installed home theater system
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound and protects against dust and dirt
- can be installed in the wall or in the ceiling
Design and specs:
- dual 1" aluminum dome tweeters
- dual 4-1/2" polypropylene cone midrange/bass drivers with cast baskets
- dual 4-1/2" pressure-coupled passive radiators for extended bass response
- frequency response: 26-30,000 Hz
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 10-250 watts
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- grille is paintable to match your décor
Warranty and dimensions:
- cutout dimensions: 9-7/8"W x 11-5/8"H
- overall dimensions: 11"W x 12-3/4"H
- mounting depth: 3-7/8"
- weight: 12.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # UDTA
What's in the box:
- In-wall/In-cieling bipolar speaker
- 7 Foam strips
- 2 Screws
- Paint mask
- Wall template
- Owner's Manual
- Online Product Registration Card
Customer reviews for Definitive Technology UIW RSS II
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology UIW RSS II
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Surround||Buty Rubber|
|Connector Type||Spring pst|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-250|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Curved Angle Bipolar Array: The Definitive Technology Reference Surround Speaker III (RSS II) features a curved angle bipolar array, which is perfect for movie and music surround use because it provides an ideal combination of direct sound for specificity and localization and ambient sound for enhanced spaciousness. The RSS II delivers uniquely enveloping surround performance totally immersing the listeners in a complete 360° soundstage. Walls seem to disappear and the listening room will be almost magically transformed into the location of the original sonic event. The curved aspect of the bipolar array further improves dispersion into the room. When installed in the ceiling, the direction in which the driver arrays face can be rotated 90° in order to optimize the performance depending on the specific location of the speakers in relation to the seating area.
2-Way Driver Design: Each RSS II bipolar surround speaker contains two complete 2-way full-range systems each with a 4.5" cast-basket midbass/midrange driver pressure coupled to a 4.5" planar Bass Radiator and a 1" pure aluminum tweeter, for a total of six driver/radiators in each speaker. The RSS II's dynamic, spacious and uncolored sonic signature has been specifically engineered to blend perfectly with any of Definitive's loudspeakers whether freestanding, in-wall ,or in-ceiling for an amazing lifelike sonic experience.
Non-Resonant Sealed Enclosure: The RSS II features a non-resonant sealed medite (a dense wood product) enclosure to deliver the tight, detailed bass and uncolored midrange of audiophile free-standing speakers in every installation. The performance of open back built-in speakers will vary depending on the nature of the wall/ceiling cavity behind the speaker. But Definitive Reference series speakers with integrated enclosures sound superb every time.
Paintable: The UIW RSS II in-wall/in-ceiling loudspeaker's grille and frame can be spray painted to match the color of your wall without any loss of sound quality. Simply remove the grille from the speaker and place it on a drop cloth, newspaper, or plastic sheet and spray paint it with canned spray paint that closely matches the desired finish/color (available at home improvement stores). A paint mask is supplied to protect the drivers when painting the frame.
Spring-Loaded Speaker Terminals: The UIW RSS II in-wall/in-ceiling loudspeaker features a pair of heavy-duty, gold-plated, spring-loaded posts designed to accept up to 10 gauge wire, banana plugs (single only), or pin-connectors. The spring-post terminals extend 1.0" from the cut-out dimensions, so you'll need extra space inside the in-wall or in-ceiling cavity.
Applications: The Definitive Technology Reference Surround Speaker III (RSS II) is intended for use as an in-ceiling or in-wall rear or side surround speaker in custom installed home theater systems of the highest quality.
Mounting Options: 4 rotating dogleg clamps and two 3.5" wood screws make the RSS II easy to install in either new or existing construction and provide secure, non-resonant mounting for ultimate audiophile performance free of vibrations and buzzes. The loudspeaker can be mounted in-wall or in-ceiling.
- In-Wall: In-Wall installation requires a cutout of 9.875" (w) x 11.625" (h) x 3.875" (d). For In-Wall mounting, the speaker requires 1.25" of clearance inside the wall, on all four sides of the cutout, to clear the lock arms. If the desired location is closer than 1.25" to a stud on one of the long sides of the speaker, the long side of the speaker enclosure must be installed directly against the stud to prevent rattling.
- In-Ceiling: In-ceiling installation requires a cutout of 9.875 " (w) x 11.625" (h) x 3.875" (d) For In-Ceiling mounting, the speaker enclosure must be directly against two joists and/or framing material on the two long sides that are to be fastened with the screws. 1.25" of clearance is required on the two remaining sides of the enclosure to clear the lock arms.
1 question already asked