About the Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3
Winning sound from a compact speaker pair
Winning sound from a compact speaker pair
We loved the previous generation of 707 S2 speakers. These next-gen Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 speakers have the same ability to deliver finely detailed, nuanced sound from a compact stand-mount design. But the company didn't rest on their laurels — this new version features a subtly curved front baffle that helps create a wider soundstage. There's also a beautiful new mocha finish option.
You can use this pair as part of a hi-fi stereo music setup, or in an all-Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system.
Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 speakers feature subtly curved front baffle that helps create a wider soundstage.
Bowers & Wilkins has spent decades creating and honing technology that gives their speakers a unique and beautiful "voice."
The 1" Decoupled Carbon Dome™ tweeter was purpose-built for the 700 Series to bring studio-quality sound to your home system. The 5" Continuum™ cone midrange/bass driver benefits from tech developed for the high-end 800 Series. The cone's composite construction delivers precise vocals and instruments and smooths transitions.
Flowport™ for better bass
Bowers & Wilkins' Flowport technology helps this bookshelf speaker produce solid bass. The 707's bass reflex enclosure features a rear-firing, dimpled and flared port that provides natural bass response without the turbulent "chuffing" that standard ports can create. The speaker includes a two-piece foam plug that can be inserted if you want to adjust bass response to your liking.
Matching stands for optimal performance
These speakers were primarily designed for placement on Bowers & Wilkins' dedicated FS-700 S3 floor stands (sold separately). The stands reduce sound-muddying vibration and place your speakers at the proper height for listening in a seated position — two factors that have a big impact on the sound.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for their innovative hi-fi speaker designs and their premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- 2-way design
- 1" Decoupled Carbon Dome™ tweeter
- 5" Continuum™ cone midrange/bass driver
- frequency response: 50-28,000 Hz (±3dB)
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear-firing Flowport™
- 2-piece foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance is included
- sensitivity: 84 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-100 watts
- dual pairs of gold-plated binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amp/bi-wire configurations
- removable grille is magnetically attached
- Bowers & Wilkins FS-700 S3 floor stands (sold separately) recommended for optimal performance
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-1/2"W x 11-7/8"H x 11-1/2"D
- weight: 13.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FP43311
What's in the box:
Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 owner's manual
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 2 Two-piece foam port plugs
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- 4 Jumper-straps (pre-installed)
- Bowers & Wilkins brochure
- Warranty Information
- Online Registration Card
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Decoupled Soft-Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5|
|Frequency Response||50-28k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-26|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" Decoupled Carbon Dome Tweeter: A 1" Decoupled Carbon Dome tweeter is purpose-built for the 700 Series. Delivering a dramatic improvement on B&W's aluminum double dome tweeter (found in the 600 Series), the Carbon Dome tweeter raises the breakup threshold to 47kHz, for pinpoint imaging accuracy and detail. Synthetic gel is used to cushion the decoupled tweeter, with the assembly isolated from the mounting hardware. Decoupling reduces audible distortion by preventing cabinet vibrations from reaching the tweeter. The result is breathtaking clarity and definition.
5" Continuum Cone Midbass/Midrange Driver: The 707 S3 bookshelf loudspeaker features a single 5" Continuum cone midbass/midrange driver, borrowed from B&W's 800 Series Diamond. Thanks to its woven-coated material and composite construction, the Continuum cone provides a natural and open sound by avoiding the abrupt transitions in behavior that can impair the performance of a conventional drive unit and cause distortion. As a result, voice and instruments are delivered with purity and precision.
Flowport Technology: The B&W 707 S3 bookshelf speaker utilizes Flowport Technology to create smooth, deep, and efficient bass response. Its bass reflex enclosure features a rear-firing, dimpled flared port that provides natural bass response without turbulent noise or distortion. If you want to reduce the volume of bass without moving the speaker further from the wall, fit the included foam plug into the rear-firing port for lesser bass response.
Note: You can adjust the bookshelf speaker's low-frequency performance using the supplied foam plug. The foam plug is two-pieces, allowing for a degree of fine-tuning using either the outer, larger-diameter piece in isolation or the two parts together. Using solely the outer, larger-diameter foam piece will deliver less bass attenuation than the complete foam plug assembly.
Acoustically Transparent Magnetic Grille: The Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 bookshelf loudspeaker comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic grille that's easy to install, looks great, and doesn't get in the way of the sound.
Dual Binding Post Terminals: The bookshelf speaker has two sets of heavy-duty binding posts connected by jumper straps. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, spade connectors, or banana plugs (single only). There are plastic inserts that will need to be removed from the binding post terminals in order to use banana plugs. Using the dual binding posts terminals, you can choose to bi-amp or bi-wire the speaker (when facing the back of the cabinet - the left set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the right set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier.
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: Make sure the jumper straps between the dual binding post terminals are removed when making a bi-amp or bi-wire type of connection.
Mounting Options: The Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 bookshelf loudspeakers can be placed on a set of speaker stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), a table-top, shelf, or other piece of furniture. The included self-adhesive rubber feet prevent unwanted vibration and protect your furniture from scratches (the feet add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker).
- The B&W 707 S3 bookshelf speaker should be mounted as close to ear level of the main seated listening position as possible.
- Moving the speaker further from the walls will generally reduce the volume of bass. Space behind the speakers will also help to create an aural impression of depth.
- Conversely, moving the speakers closer to the walls will increase the volume of bass.
Note: The B&W 707 S3 does not come with a mounting bracket, threaded insert, or keyhole slot to wall-mount the speaker.
Applications: The Bowers & Wilkins 707 S3 bookshelf is a great choice for 2ch stereo music applications, as well as multichannel home theater setups.
- Stereo Music: The bookshelf speakers should be positioned between 4.9375' and 9.875' apart at two corners of an equilateral triangle completed by the listening area at the third corner. The speakers should be approximately 1.625' away from the back wall, and at least 1.625' away from any side walls.
- Home Theater: If the bookshelf speakers are to be used for the front channels in a home theater system, position the speakers within approximately 1.625' of the sides of the TV screen to keep the sound image in scale with the visual image. The speakers should ideally be at least 1.625' away from any side walls.
Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series: The Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series consists of three floorstanding loudspeakers (702 / 703 / 704), three bookshelf loudspeakers (705 / 706 / 707), and two center-channel loudspeakers (HTM71 / HTM72). The 700 Series by Bowers & Wilkins brings your movie and music soundtracks to life with dynamics and details you've never heard before.
Optional Powered Subwoofers: Give your 700 Series loudspeaker setup even more impactful bass with one of Bowers & Wilkins' powered subwoofers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).