About the Cambridge Audio Edge W
Cambridge Audio's Edge W amplifier gives you clean and authoritative power. Using symmetrical twin toroidal transformers to cancel out electromagnetic interference, the W delivers and maintains consistent, cohesive tonality, no matter how loud you turn it up.
The beefy transformers contribute significantly to the W's 50+ pound weight. Its stylish, understated extruded aluminum face and burly-but-streamlined side heat sinks encase a beautiful circuit design. And Cambridge designers selected each of the mere 14 circuit components in blind listening tests, so you're getting the best they could hear.
A new class of its own
Cambridge Audio's unique Class XA amplifier topology delivers Class A-like audio quality with improved efficiency and less heat. By adding a bias voltage to a traditional Class AB design, it shifts the crossover point to a position where you hear nearly zero distortion. Instead, you'll hear clear, robust music — with the undeniable heft that 100 watts per channel of Class XA power gives it.
In anticipation of their 50th anniversary, Cambridge Audio asked their engineers a simple question — what would they make if anything was possible? More than three years later, a team of nine engineers delivered the Edge line, named after Professor Gordon Edge, the designer of Cambridge Audio's first product, the ground-breaking P40 integrated amplifier.
All Edge circuit components were blind-auditioned solely for their sonic merits — not price, specs, or measured performance. Only the most dynamic, present, clear, and musical ones were chosen. The Edge line embodies Cambridge Audio's signature British sound and 50 years of hi-fi expertise.
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD with 2 channels driven
- 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- proprietary Class XA amplifier design
- dual toroidal transformers
- high-quality, British-made capacitors
- frequency response: 3-80,000 Hz (±1dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 113 dB
- switchable stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA loop outputs for connecting to another amplifier
- 5-way binding post speaker connectors
- switchable 12-volt in/out trigger
- curved extruded aluminum front panel minimizes vibration-induced distortion
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 18-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 15-15/16"D
- weight: 51.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years/5 years registered
- MFR # C10974
What's in the box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 5' AC power cord
- User Manual
Customer reviews for Cambridge Audio Edge W
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio Edge W
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||100|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||200|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Yrs/5 Yrs registered|
|Labor Warranty||2 Yrs/5 Yrs registered|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
|Input Type||RCA, XLR|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding Post|
Edge Series: Over three years in the making and utilizing a team of nine engineers, the Edge Series is the embodiment of Cambridge Audio's signature Great British Sound and pinnacle of 50 years of Hi-Fi expertise. When creating the Edge Series, Cambridge Audio chose components based on their sonic merits (not price, not specs, not measured performance). This "listen first, measure later" philosophy means blind-auditioning all price and performance levels and only going with those that sound the most dynamic, give the greatest presence, offer a revealing clarity; and are most musical. The Edge Series is designed and assembled in the UK.
Note: Cambridge Audio's Edge Series components are designed to work in perfect synchronization with one another. Match the Edge W power amplifier with the Edge NQ preamplifier network player (sold separately) to create a hi-fi system with extraordinary sound.
Class XA Power Amplifier: Cambridge Audio's unique Class XA amplifier topology brings Class sound quality, but with improved efficiency and less heat. Cambridge Audio added a bias voltage to a traditional Class AB design to shift the crossover point to a position where distortion is inaudible to the human ear. This unique configuration also produces less heat and makes the whole system much more effective. The Edge W is made to be played loud. So when you do turn it up, expect nothing but a dynamic and punchy sound that captures all the musicality of your songs. For all its power, the Edge W is also remarkably detailed. The sound is finely balanced, with a musical depth and clarity that comes through with every note.
- Continuous Power Output: 100 watts x 2 channels (8-ohms); 200 watts x 2 channels (4-ohms)
- THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): <0.02% 20Hz-20kHz at rated power (8-ohms); <0.002% 1kHz at rated power (8-ohms)
- Frequency Response: 3Hz to 80Hz (+/-1dB)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >93 dB (1W into 8-ohm); >113dB (full power)
- Crosstalk: <-100dB @ 1kHz
Opposing Twin Toroidal Transformer: Cambridge Audio pioneered the use of toroidal transformers in amplifiers, which led to improved performance. In the Edge W power amplifier, Cambridge audio takes it one step further, using opposing twin toroidal transformers. This cancels out electromagnetic interference while offers outstanding power and maintain consistent tonality, no matter how loud its played.
Short Signal Path: To remove the barriers between you and your music, Cambridge Audio worked hard to minimize the number of components in the signal path. With just fourteen hand-picked components, the Edge W power amplifier has one of the cleanest signal paths available. As a result, the Edge W power amplifier delivers a more faithful reproduction of the original recording; an impressively detailed three-dimensional sound, with striking staging and focus. It truly delivers Cambridge Audio's breath-taking, unadulterated British sound (nothing added and nothing taken away).
Balanced & Unbalanced Connectivity: The Cambridge Audio Edge W power amplifier is equipped with balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA stereo analog inputs and loop outputs. Balanced XLR is a higher-quality input that can reject noise and interference.
- XLR & RCA Stereo Inputs:The Cambridge Audio Edge W power amplifier is outfitted with both balanced and unbalanced analog audio inputs to connect a stereo preamplifier (such as the Edge NQ preamplifier network player, sold separately). There is one set of balanced XLR stereo inputs and one set of unbalanced RCA stereo inputs.
- XLR & RCA Loop Outputs: The Edge W power amplifier is outfitted with both balanced and unbalanced loop outputs to connect and daisy-chain another power amplifier. There is one set of balanced XLR stereo outputs and one set of unbalanced RCA stereo outputs that coincide with the amplifier's respective balanced XLR and RCA stereo inputs.
Note: The Balanced/Unbalanced switch on the rear-panel is not an input selector. Its function is to optimize the signal to noise ratio for each type of input. You should not connect both the Balanced and Unbalanced jacks at the same time with the expectation of switching between two different devices, such as a stereo preamp and surround processor.
Binding Post Speaker Output Terminals: The Edge W power amplifier is equipped with a set of heavy-duty, gold-plated, binding post speaker output terminals for the connection of a pair of 8-ohm or 4-ohm loudspeakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). High quality 24K gold-plating on the speaker terminals provide excellent signal transfer and resistant to corrosion.
Protection Circuitry: The Edge W includes Amplifier Protection Circuitry to detect faults with Over Temperature, DC and Over Current. If any of these faults are detected the LED standby button will turn red.
- Over Temperature: Over temperature is caused by a combination of high listening levels and low impedance speakers. The Edge W includes temperature detection which constantly monitors the heat generated by the output transistors. If the monitored temperature reaches a high level, the amplifier will automatically switch into a fault mode to protect itself from damage. If the loudspeaker impedance is low, the temperature of the amplifier may rise faster as the amplifier is working harder. If the amplifier is mounted in a cabinet or the ventilation slots are obstructed the over temperature detection may activate/reactivate after a short listening time. Let the unit cool down for 15 minutes before pressing the Standby button to resume normal operation. If the unit has not fully cooled down then the temperature may reach the limit soon after the amplifier is powered up.
- DC: The Edge W also offers loudspeaker protection, if the output of the amplifier goes to a high constant voltage (DC) because of some internal fault. This is a rare fault, although detecting it will protect your loudspeakers from damage. Due to the necessary sensitivity of the DC protection circuit, extremely hard clipping of the amplifier may cause DC protection to be triggered. If this fault occurs, please contact Crutchfield or Cambridge Audio support.
- Over Current: In addition, the Edge W offers V/I (voltage/current) protection by constantly monitoring the output transistors to keep them working inside their Safe Operating Area (SOA). The SOA is a set of limits given by the output transistor manufacturer to ensure reliability. The V/I protection has been incorporated within the amplifier circuitry to provide a fast response to temporary overload conditions. When the V/I protection is triggered the unit will continue to operate but distortion may be heard as the unit protects the output transistors. If distortion is still present after reducing the volume level, check the speaker connections and impedance ratings.
Trigger In/Link Out: The Edge W power amplifier features a 12V Trigger Input (3.5mm) that allows power on/off synchronization with your stereo preamplifier that features a 12V Trigger Output. The amplifier's 12V Link Out (3.5mm) lets you "daisy-chain" the incoming trigger voltage to another power amplifier in your system for synchronized power on/off of the system.
Auto Standby: The Cambridge Audio Edge W power amplifier will automatically go into Standby mode after 20 minutes of no audio signal. This function can be enabled or disabled from the rear-panel.
5 Year Warranty With Registration: The EDGE series comes with a standard 2 year warranty, which can be extended to 5 years if you register the product with Cambridge Audio. You can register your product by clicking here.
1 question already asked