About the Music Hall MMF-5.3
Do your vinyl right
Do your vinyl right
Back during the heyday of CDs, if you'd told me that I'd be writing about a high-end turntable like Music Hall's MMF-5.3 in the year 2016, I'd have probably laughed. But vinyl lovers get the last laugh here, thanks to this 'table's precise construction and carefully selected materials, which allow it to pull beautifully detailed sound from the grooves in your records. The high-gloss piano lacquer finish is a nice touch, too.
The Music Hall MMF-5.3 features a high-performance Ortofon cartridge and a custom carbon fiber tonearm.
Dual-plinth construction combats noise
The MMF-5.3's unique two-piece MDF chassis, or plinth, does more than just look beautiful — it also isolates vibrations that can smear sonic detail. The bottom platform supports the height-adjustable feet, motor, power switch, wiring, and electrical parts. The top platform separately houses the turntable's critical sound-reproducing components — the platter bearing, tonearm, and cartridge. Six elastic cones isolate the two layers, virtually eliminating transmitted vibration for silent backgrounds and superior sound.
A steady-spinning alloy platter
The 'table's dynamically balanced alloy platter spins on a precision stainless steel bearing sheathed in a layer of Teflon® for smooth, steady rotation. The supplied screw-on record clamp ensures tight coupling of your records to the platter — which really improves playback of warped discs.
High-performance tonearm and cartridge
The MMF-5.3's custom carbon fiber tonearm provides superb tracking to faithfully follow the grooves of your albums. Its 9" effective length gives it a shallower tracking arc across the record than shorter tonearms, helping to reduce distortion. The turntable also comes equipped with Ortofon's acclaimed 2M Blue phono cartridge. This cartridge's highly polished, nude-mounted stylus reaches deep into your record's grooves, revealing fresh detail and dynamics to bring the music to life.
Superb sound, easy setup
One of the great things about vinyl records is that they force you to slow down and savor the act of listening. But Music Hall's MMF-5.3 won't slow you down much, because of its hassle-free plug-and-play design. Its factory-mounted tonearm and phono cartridge take the guesswork out of getting started, so you can enjoy optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few minutes to dial in key settings like tracking force, anti-skating, and platter speed are all that's needed to bring out gorgeous sound from your record collection.
- dual-plinth construction isolates vibration for quieter performance
- separately isolated DC synchronous motor for reduced vibration and greater speed stability
- 9-inch carbon fiber tonearm for superb tracking ability
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet cartridge with user-replaceable nude elliptical diamond stylus
- tonearm offers vertical tracking angle and azimuth adjustments for optimized playback performance and cartridge flexibility
- dynamically balanced alloy platter with soft felt mat and screw-on record clamp
- Teflon sheathed stainless steel main bearing for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- vibration-damping adjustable feet and built-in spirit level for easy turntable leveling
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks with detachable phono cables
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (manual speed change)
- speed variation: ±0.18%
- wow and flutter: ±0.10%
- rumble maximum: -70dB
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-25,000 Hz (-3dB)
- channel separation (with included cartridge): 25dB (at 1kHz)
- high-gloss black lacquer finish
- includes dust cover, felt platter mat, screw-on record clamp, and 45 rpm record adapter
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- 18-1/4"W x 5-1/2"H (with dust cover down) x 13-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- MFR # MMF-5.3 CF
What's in the box:
- Tone-arm (installed)
- Cartridge w/ stylus (installed)
- 3 Damping feet (2 installed)
- Felt pad
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 3 AC power plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- 45rpm adapter
- Record clamp
- Antiskating weight
- Belt-changing tool
- 2 Hex-keys
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
- Pair of cloth gloves
- Instruction Manual
Customer reviews for Music Hall MMF-5.3
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Music Hall MMF-5.3
Features & specs
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Power Cable||Detachable (12-volt DC adapter)|
|Materials and Construction|
|Tone Arm Shape||Straight|
|Tone Arm Material||Carbon Fiber|
|Tone Arm Lift||Finger|
|Included Cartridge||Ortofon 2M-Blue|
|Tracking Weight||1.8 g (18mN)|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Wow and Flutter||0.1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Turntable Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Turntable Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Belt-Driven w/ DC Synchronous Motor: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF turntable employs a low noise fully manual belt drive design that supports two speeds (33/45 rpm). A 45 rpm adapter is included. The DC synchronous motor provides superior speed stability, separately isolated on the lower platform.
Alloy Platter with Stainless Steel/Teflon Bearing Assembly: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF turntable features a dynamically balanced alloy platter and comes with a felt mat. The alloy platter runs on a precision, stainless steel bearing assembly sheathed in Teflon to provide fluid and quiet operation.
Carbon Fiber Tone-Arm: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF turntable features a 9" carbon fiber tone-arm with flexible internal wire drawn from high purity copper for superb tracking ability. The included counterweight's center of gravity is level with the stylus tip, and is decoupled from the arm, and acts as a resonance damper.
MM Phono Cartridge: The Ortofon 2M-Blue moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge is pre-mounted and properly aligned. The turntable's nude elliptical diamond stylus is user replaceable.
- Frequency Response: 20-20kHz (+2/-1db)
- Channel Balance: 1.5dB @ 1kHz
- Channel Separation: 25dB @ 1kHz
- Static Compliance: 20mm/N (lateral), 16mm/N (vertical)
- Stylus Radius: r/R 8/18 um
- Stylus Type: Nude Elliptical
- Tracking Force: 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking Angle: 20 degrees
- Load Resistance: 47,000 Ohm
- Load Capacitance: 150-200 pF
- Internal Inductance: 700 mH
- DC Resistance: 1.3 kOhm
- Cartridge Weight: 7.2g
Dual Plinth Construction & Damping Feet: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF turntable employs a unique dual plinth construction and three special, resonance damping feet for exceptional stability. The feet are adjustable for perfect leveling. There is even an integrated level on the top plinth to indicate if the turntable is level or not.
RCA Outputs: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF turntable is fitted with high quality RCA connectors and comes with a detachable 4' stereo RCA cable. If your amplifier does not have a suitable Phono MM input, a separatephono pre-amplifier (sold separately) is required to connect the turntable to your amplifier.
Dust Cover: The Music Hall MMF-5.3 CF comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
AC Power Adapter: The turntable operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power adapter.