About the MartinLogan Motion XT CI XTC8
Ultra-immersive Atmos effects from MartinLogan
Ultra-immersive Atmos effects from MartinLogan
Want high-performance overhead effects from your MartinLogan home theater system? A pair of the Motion XT CI XTC8 is an excellent choice for expanding and strengthening your soundstage, especially if you have a large room.
An acclaimed tweeter delivers smooth, sweet highs
One of the reasons the XTC8 sounds so good is its Folded Motion® tweeter.
This unique, accordion-style design yields quick, accurate, and very smooth highs. The Folded Motion tweeter is paired here with an 8" woven fiberglass driver for punchy bass and textured midrange.
Build a Motion Series home theater
The XTC8 would make a great overhead speaker in an immersive Dolby Atmos® surround system made up of MartinLogan Motion Series speakers:
- floor-standing speakers for front left and right channels
- bookshelf speakers for front, rear, or surround channels
- center channel speakers for clear dialogue
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- Featured in our article: Best in-wall and in-ceiling surround sound systems for 2023
- ideal for an in-ceiling music system or overhead surround effects in a home theater system
- 1.27" x 2.4" Folded Motion® tweeter for smooth, natural highs
- 8" woven fiberglass woofer for punchy bass and textured midrange
- frequency response: 51-25,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 50-150 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8-ohms compatible
- ultra-thin bezel and paintable magnetic grille to match your décor
Dimensions and warranty:
- cutout diameter: 9-1/4"
- overall diameter: 10-1/2"
- mounting depth: 5-1/4"
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XT-C8
What's in the box:
MartinLogan Motion XT CI XTC8 owner's manual
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- T20 torx-bit
- User's Manual
- Cutout Template
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the MartinLogan Motion XT CI XTC8
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Tweeter||Folded Motion Ribbon|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Tweeter Size||1" x 1.4"|
|Power Range (Watts)||50-150|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
MartinLogan Motion XT CI Series: MartinLogan Motion XT CI speakers sound incredible in practically any room. Regardless of the environment, the Motion XT CI speakers just sound better, more articulate, more detailed, and more realistic. With Controlled Dispersion and one of the most responsive tweeters (FMT XT) in the industry, these in-ceiling and in-wall loudspeakers can compete with and often exceed the performance of many traditional cabinet loudspeakers.
FMT (Folded Motion Tweeter) XT: MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion Tweeter XT utilizes an extremely low-mass diaphragm that "squeezes" air, thus requiring significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter. Its folded design allows for a much larger surface area (compared to that of a regular 1" dome tweeter), controlled dispersion characteristics, and vanishingly low distortion. It delivers much of the high-frequency detail, speed and response of a large, dynamic electrostatic panel in a small space. The FMT XT increases audible bandwidth without sacrificing detail and reduces distortion to an incredibly low level while increasing efficiency and the tweeter's already lightning-fast response time. The result is greater clarity, output and efficiency.
- Thin-Film Transducer Design: This thin-film transducer design packs all the accuracy and delicacy of an electrostatic panel into a small space. Folding the dramatically lightweight film into an accordion-like structure increases the surface area, giving the Folded Motion XT 8-10x greater surface area than typical tweeters. This ideal combination of light and large produces superior accuracy, extended frequency bandwidth and higher output capability; all with a faster, more efficient transient response, and virtually zero distortion. In these characteristics, the Folded Motion Tweeter XT design can mimic the performance of a large electrostatic panel in the confines of a more traditional loudspeaker enclosure.
- 80x30 Degree Controlled Dispersion: MartinLogan Motion XT CI loudspeakers feature Controlled Dispersion to improve the clarity and overall quality of your music and media. The Folded Motion Tweeter XT further focuses the sound into an 80x30 degree dispersion pattern to further reduce the harmful acoustic effects presented by nearly every room. By focusing the sound on the actual seating area and not wasting energy on spaces where no one is sitting (IE: the ceiling) the XTC8 achieves greater sound quality by removing unwanted sound reflections, while simultaneously reducing the potential for distracting amounts of sound to travel into unwanted areas of your home.
Woven Kevlar Woofer Cone: The 8" midbass woofer features a very lightweight woven Kevlar cone specifically engineered to keep pace with the lightning speed of the high erformance Folded Motion Tweeter XT. The high-performance midbass woofer offers both increased rigidity and lightness, plus a special Nomex layer on the back side of the cone material to increase clarity and realism even further by reducing resonance and ringing. The midbass woofer is house in a more substantial chassis than most in-ceiling speakers to strengthen the loudspeaker and provide a more accurate sound, similar to a cabinet on a traditional speaker.
Proprietary Vojtko Crossover Network: Vojtko Crossovers are hand-built from the highest quality components and avoid overly complex topologies. This crossover network has a straight-forward objective of delivering breathtaking realism. The proprietary Vojtko crossover design is just as crucial to MartinLogan's "Truth-in-Sound" Philosophy as their innovative electrostatic and Folded Motion thin-film driver technologies. Vojtko crossovers are named after MartinLogan's chief audio technologist, Joe Vojtko.
- The proprietary crossover network is handcrafted using exceptional polypropylene and polyester capacitors, custom wound and large steel laminate low-DCR inductors, and double thick PCBs. This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances while handling the full dynamics of any source. It's a recipe for vanishingly low distortion and seamless driver integration.
- The most critical aspect of a Vojtko crossover design is the final voicing, always conducted in a "real-world" environment. This uniquely pragmatic approach guarantees that the Motion XT CI speaker delivers MartinLogan's "Truth-in-Sound" in any room, including yours.
Micro-Perforated Grille: All MartinLogan Motion XT CI in-ceiling loudspeaker features an ultra-low profile, paintable, micro-perforated grille with no visible bezel for a near-invisible integration in almost any ceiling. A series of powerful magnets hidden inside the speaker quickly secure grilles into place, reducing the risk of warping or damage during installation. The micro-perforated grille only protrudes 0.1875" from the ceiling. The grille can be painted to match the color of your ceiling.
In-Ceiling Installation: The XTC8 speaker installs in drywall (0.25"-1.0" thick) between ceiling-joists and requires a round cutout that measures 9.25" (diameter) x 5.25" (depth). The speaker secures in the ceiling using the integrated "dog-ear" mounting clamps. There needs to be at least 0.75" of clearance around the inside of the cutout to accommodate the "dog-ear" mounting clamps. Increasing the rigidity of your ceiling may improve sonic performance. To do this consider adding cross bracing behind the ceiling approximately 12" around the speaker.
Note: Always be careful to avoid electrical wires behind the ceiling surface.
Application & Placement Options: The MartinLogan Motion XT CI Sereis XTC8 in-ceiling loudspeaker is ideal for multi-channel home theater and distributed audio installations. In a home theater application, the XTC8 can be used as a rear surround and/or overhead effects channels. These MartinLogan XTC8 in-ceiling speaker offers superb imaging and flexible placement in nearly any location.
- For best performance and imaging place speakers equidistant from the primary listening position and avoid physical obstructions between the speaker and primary listening position. Keep in mind, the farther away the listener is from the speaker, the wider the coverage area of the tweeter becomes.
- Corner placement of these speakers will reinforce their bass output. If you require balanced output across the entire audio spectrum avoid mounting these speakers in a corner.
Spring-Post Terminals: The MartinLogan XTC8 is outfitted with a set of spring-pots terminals for connection of your in-ceiling speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG) and banana plugs (single only).