About the Yamaha DSX18XLF-D
A century of know-how
A century of know-how
With over 120 years in the music business and 40 years' experience with PA systems, Yamaha knows how to get your sounds to an audience. Now they bring you their DSX XLF powered subwoofers, which offer the highest maximum SPL of any subs in their class. With high-powered DSP processors to let you shape the bass response, these subs give you deep, massive, earth-shaking low end that'll reach all through the room. Their extended frequency range goes down to 30Hz to give you massive bottom that you just can't get from other subwoofers in this class. Flexible DSP and a cabinet design with a wide, flared port keep your bottom clear and music even when the volume is cranked.
The DXS18XLF-D is a powered bass-reflex type subwoofer with an 18-inch speaker that reproduces frequencies down to 30Hz at a maximum SPL of 136dB. The sub's die-cast aluminum frame and 4” voice coil allow it to stand up to extreme output levels.
High power and sound shaping
The enclosure's Class D amplifier lays down a whopping 1200 watts of continuous power to make the bass come alive. An automatic cooling fan kicks in when the amplifier temperature rises to excessive levels, and thermal protection shuts down the amp to prevent overheating. 96kHz high-power DSP processors enable sound shaping with four modes of operation so you can tailor your bass response to the room:
- NORMAL mode is set for a balanced response;
- BOOST mode focuses on the lower frequencies to give your sound additional impact;
- XTENDED LF mode adds more deep low frequencies;
- CARDIOID mode helps prevent phase cancellation and onstage bass waves when using two or more subs, directing output toward the audience more effectively.
You also get 6-band graphic EQ, digital delay, and a low-pass filter to let you dial in your sound even further.
The DXS18XLF-D includes Audinate's Dante software, which allows connection and remote control from Yamaha consoles and other Dante devices using the sub's dedicated Dante inputs/outputs. The inputs' sample rate conversion (SRC) allows compatibility with 48kHz devices. Using the sub's analog inputs/outputs with the Dante inputs/outputs gives you additional routing and system configuration options, while Dante's break-IN and break-OUT function can add even more flexibility by acting as a simple I/O box. Yamaha also offers Dante-compatible, customizable control panel software for Windows and iOS, letting you manage your system from your portable device.
Tough as nails
The sub's rugged ported plywood enclosure features a durable Polyurea coating that resists handling damage and weather so your sub will look as good as it sounds. Two large aluminum handles let you carry the sub securely, and a pair of pole sockets let you mount speakers above the enclosure.
When you're looking for bass that won't quit, Yamaha's DSX powered subwoofers have the punch you're looking for in a compact package.
- powered ported subwoofer enclosure
- 18" speaker with die-cast aluminum frame and 4" voice coil
- Class D amplifier with 1200W RMS output (1600 watts peak)
- Dante software allows remote control from other Dante-equipped devices
- sample rate conversion allows compatibility with 48kHz devices
- 96kHz DSP high-resolution effects
- Cardioid Mode directs bass toward audience, reduces "bass backwash"
- inputs/outputs: 2 Dante, 2 analog
- multi-speed automatic cooling fan and thermal shutdown protect against overheating
- ported plywood cabinet with aluminum handles and premium grade Polyurea coating
- dual pole sockets for mounting full-range speakers
- maximum SPL: 136 dB
- frequency range: 30-150 Hz
- dimensions: 21.65"W x 25.87"H x 28.35"D
- weight: 107.8 lb.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # DXS18XLF-D
What's in the box:
- 18" Powered Dante subwoofer
- Power cord
- Owner's manual
Customer reviews for Yamaha DSX18XLF-D
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha DSX18XLF-D
Features & specs
|Drivers per speaker||1|
|Woofer Size (inches)||18|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||N/A|
|System Frequency response||30-150Hz|
|RMS Power rating||1200|
|Program Power rating||---|
|Peak Power rating||1600|
|Line Inputs||(2) XLR/1/4"|
Overview: The Yamaha DXS18XLF-D is an 18" powered subwoofer designed for bands, DJs, and performers for use in clubs and small to medium venues. It's compact bass reflex enclosure and state-of-the-art DSP can produce frequencies as low as 30Hz at a maximum SPL of 136dB, while keeping the sound focused and distortion free. The DXS18XLF-D is also Dante-equipped with 2-in/2-out connection and SRC (Sample Rate Conversion) for 48kHz device compatibility.
Amplifier: The DXS18XLF-D features a built-in Class-D amplifier that is capable of producing up to 1200 watts (RMS) and 1600 watts (peak power) with a maximum SPL of 136dB for exceptional clarity and accuracy.
Enclosure: The DXS18XLF-D enclosure is made from heavy-duty plywood in a bass reflex (ported) configuration to help reduce unwanted vibrations and noise. The enclosure's exterior is protected by a durable Polyurea coating that's extremely resistant to damage and weather conditions. The top of the subwoofer cabinet is equipped with two pole sockets for mounting a full-range speaker, a 35 mm straight socket and an M20 threaded socket.
Dante: The Yamaha DXS18XLF-D is equipped with Dante technology. Dante is a network audio protocol developed by Audinate that's designed to deliver multi-channel audio signals at various sampling frequencies and bit rates, along with device control signals over a Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) network. Two rear-panel etherCON jacks let you connect to a Dante network, as well as daisy-chain additional Dante-enabled devices. The DXS18XLF-D can be connected to Dante devices in one of two ways:
- Dante Controller: Dante Controller is a software application, available for Windows and Mac OS, that allows configuration and audio routing of devices on a Dante network from a computer connected to the same network. Controller settings include:
- I/O Configuration settings
- Clock master settings
- Sampling rate
- Yamaha Digital Mixers: The DXS18XLF-D can be directly connected to a compatible Yamaha RIVAGE PM, CL, QL, or TF series digital mixer without needing to use Dante Controller software.
DSP: The Yamaha subwoofer includes multiple DSP features to help produce the best sound possible. DSP menu settings are made through the rear-panel LCD display and navigation controls. Settings include:
- Cardioid Mode: Because low frequencies are more omnidirectional, controlling the output directivity can be a challenge. When two DXS subwoofers are used in conjunction, either side-by-side or stacked, selecting Cardioid mode decreases the stage-side sound pressure while increasing the low output directed towards the audience.
- D-XSUB: This subwoofer processing offers 3 settings for changing the frequency response:
- Normal: This mode gives a balanced, even low-frequency response.
- Boost: Provides a tighter more focused bass signal.
- XTENDED LF: This mode drops the low-end frequencies down even further for thunderous bottom end, delivering a low-frequency extension unheard of from smaller cabinets.
- LPF: A low-pass filter can be applied with options for 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 110Hz, and 120Hz. You can also change the Polarity between Normal (in-phase) and Inverted (out-of-phase).
- EQ: A 6-band EQ lets you select the Frequency (20Hz-20kHz), Q (0.7-10.0), and Level (-10 to +10) for each of the 6 bands. The EQ Type can also be selected with options for Parametric EQ (PEQ), Lo Shelf 6dB, Lo Shelf 12dB, Hi Shelf 6dB, Hi Shelf 12dB, HPF, and LPF.
- Delay: A Delay can be applied to the subwoofer signal, when used with additional speakers at varying distances from each other. Delay can be set in Time (0-140 milliseconds) or Distance (0-157.8 feet/0-48.1 meters).
- Router: An on-screen routing matrix lets you assign both analog inputs and both Dante inputs, analog output levels, and Dante output levels to a Dante network.
- Presets: Settings made on the DXS18XLF-D can be saved as Presets that can be quickly recalled. Up to 8 Presets can be saved.
Rear Panel Controls & Indicators:
- Inputs (Line1 & Line2): The Input section consists of two XLR/1/4" combo jacks that can accept a line-level signal. Both inputs are summed together before being outputted by the sub.
- Thru/Outputs: Two XLR output jacks are provided for passing each of the Input signals out to additional powered speakers. Output signals are determined by the Thru/DSP Out switch.
- Thru/DSP Out: A 2-way switch determines if the internal DSP settings will be applied to the output signal or if an unprocessed signal is sent to the Thru jacks.
- Levels: Two rotary controls adjust the signal level for both input jacks. Level range is from Infinity to +10 with 0 being the midpoint.
- Display & Navigation: An LCD display is used for accessing all menu settings. A corresponding rotary/push dial and Home button are used for navigating menus.
- Power: The main power switch and corresponding Power LED are located on the rear panel.
- Limit Indicator: The DXS18XLF-D includes a built-in Limiter which protects the speaker and the amplifier by attenuating the signal before going through the internal amplifier if needed. If the indicator is lighting frequently, the Level control or the input signal will need to be lowered.
- USB (2.0): A USB-A (5V/500mA) port lets you save and recall settings and presets to a USB flash drive. The USB port does not support music playback.
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 30Hz - 150Hz
- Maximum SPL: 136dB
- LF Transducer:
- Diameter: 18" Cone
- Voice Coil: 4"
- Magnet: Ferrite
- Amplifier Type: Class-D
- Power Rating:
- Dynamic: 1600 Watts
- Continuous: 1200 Watts
- Cooling: Variable speed fan
- AD/DA: 96kHz Sampling
- Input: (2) XLR/1/4" combo
- Output: (2) XLR (male)
- Dante: (2) etherCON - 2 In/2 Out (44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz) and remote control 1000Base-T
- Analog Input Impedance: 20kO
- Idle Power Consumption: 40W
- 1/8 Power Consumption: 180W
- Power Requirement: 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz
- Dimensions: Width = 21.65", Height = 25.87", Depth = 28.35"
- Weight: 107.8 lbs.