About the Monitor Audio AWC265
An all-weather in-ceiling speaker
An all-weather in-ceiling speaker
Monitor Audio believes that high-quality in-ceiling speakers shouldn't be confined to your living room or office. The AWC265 in-ceiling speaker is part of their all-weather "AW" series, which lets you enjoy clear, full-range sound in areas that are exposed to the elements. Use it for a neat-looking (and great-sounding) custom installation in your bathroom, on your porch, or in other areas where traditional speakers aren't suitable.
The back of the Monitor Audio AWC265 in-ceiling speaker is encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent dirt or moisture from getting in.
High-tech drivers for better sound
One of Monitor Audio's hallmark technologies is their "C-CAM" driver material. It's a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. It's super lightweight and strong, which allows the drivers to respond very quickly and precisely for accurate sound.
The AWC265's 6-1/2" woofer and 1" dome tweeter are both made from this material. The tweeter is even treated with an anodized layer of gold for smooth, extended high-frequency response.
Tailor the sound to your space
The AWC265 features a rear-panel, three-position output level switch which lets you cut or boost high frequencies — a valuable adjustment if you have reflective surfaces like hardwood floors or windows, or absorptive surfaces like thick carpets or upholstered furniture.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
- IP55 certified for salt spray, UV stability, moisture resistance, vibration, and anti-corrosion
- the speaker back is completely encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent dirt or moisture from getting in
- ideal for music in a bathroom, porch, pool, or 120-volt marine audio system
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) driver material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 6-1/2" C-CAM woofer for smooth midrange and tight bass response
- 1" gold dome C-CAM tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- internal three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- frequency response: 60-30,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-60 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- gold-plated push terminals with silicon covers to keep away moisture
- stainless steel corrosion-resistant grille
- cutout diameter: 8-1/4"
- overall diameter: 9-15/16"
- mounting depth: 3-9/16"
- weight: 4.75 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AWC265
What's in the box:
Monitor Audio AWC265 owner's manual
- All-weather in-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Monitor Audio AWC265
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||Yes|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-60|
All Weather Design: The Monitor Audio AWC265 All Weather In-Ceiling speaker is meticulously engineered with advanced levels of water, dust, corrosion, UV and temperature protection to provide outdoor audio installations with great sound and long-term reliability in the most challenging environments. Protecting the drivers are low profile trimless grilles, engineered from high-grade stainless steel and fixed using special non-corroding rare earth magnets for easy utility. The rear of the speaker is completely encased in tough mineral-filled polymer to prevent the ingress of dirt and moisture. Plus, where the speaker meets the ceiling is a layer of specially formulated EPDM barrier material to ensure a long-lasting waterproof seal. In addition, on the back of the speaker are silicon-guard-protected push terminals. It even uses fire retardant materials specified to UL-94 VO rating.
- IP55 (IEC/ CEE Water Splash) - front of speaker
- IP4X (IEC,CEE Water Splash) - rear of speaker
- ASTM-B117-11 (Anticorrosion-Salt Mist)
- ASTM-G154-12a (UV Test)
- UL V0 Fire Retardant
Two-Way, C-CAM Driver Design: The Monitor Audio All Weather series AWC265 in-ceiling speaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and a 6.5" C-CAM midrange/midbass woofer. C-CAM drivers are used throughout the AWC265 in-ceiling loudspeaker, providing coherent tonal balance and sonic signature across the entering audio frequency spectrum.
- 1" C-CAM Gold-Dome Tweeter: The gold dome tweeter is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Its new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- 6.5" C-CAM Cone Midrange/Midbass Driver: Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
High Frequency Level Control: A HF (High Frequency) level adjustment aids in high frequency performance. With the High Frequency Level Control set to "0", the in-ceiling speaker will give you a neutral sound. Switching to the "+3db" setting will give the high frequencies a boost, giving you more clarity and presence in the treble. If you want more prominence in the bass frequencies, switch to the "-3db" setting. The HF level adjustment switch is located on the back of the speaker and must be set prior to installation.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio AWC265 is outfitted with two silicone-protected spring-post terminals to connect and protect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals which accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation. The speaker requires a 8.25" (diameter) cutout and a mounting depth of 3.5625".
- Cutout Size: 8.25" (diameter)
- Mounting Depth: 3.5625"
- Ceiling Thickness: 0.375" to 1.0625"
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The AWC265 in-ceiling speaker features a stainless steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength non-ferrous Samarium Cobalt magnets that won't rust or corrode. The grille covers the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.