About the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System
High-performance stereo sound at a modest price
High-performance stereo sound at a modest price
SVS is excited about their new Prime high-performance wireless speakers. And after hearing them, I understand why. The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System delivers exceptionally well-balanced detailed sound in a spacious soundfield. And the system's versatile. Connect analog sources such as a turntable with a built in phono preamp, or digital sources such as a TV directly to the system. You can also stream wirelessly via Bluetooth from your smartphone or tablet.
A two-way bookshelf pair, powered by 200 watts
SVS describes the system as "bold," "revealing," and "explosive" — all words that came to mind when we heard this compact pair in our cavernous training room at Crutchfield HQ.
The pair consists of one active speaker and one passive speaker, connected by an included proprietary 10-foot cable. Both have a lightweight, rigid 4-1/2" composite glass-fiber woofer for clear mids and tight bass, and a 1" aluminum dome tweeter fitted with a special diffusor to keep high frequencies from sounding harsh, even at high volumes. Rear-firing bass ports help reinforce the lows, especially when the speakers are close to a wall.
Each driver is powered by its own 50-watt Class D amplifier, and the system is controlled by a built-in active digital crossover system that SVS carefully tuned to maximize performance.
Multi-room audio with Play-Fi
The SVS Prime Speaker System can be part of a wireless multi-room audio setup. It uses your home Wi-Fi network and DTS Play-Fi technology for easy control from your mobile device of choice. Stream music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or PC or play services like TIDAL, Spotify®, Pandora®, and Rhapsody. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription. And the system has six presets for your favorite Play-Fi music sources.
Build out your multi-room audio system with additional SVS Prime or Play-Fi speakers and components. You can have speakers in different rooms playing the same thing, or all playing from a different source. And you can control it all with the free Play-Fi app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet.
Play-Fi's Critical Listening Mode enables 24-bit/192kHz lossless streaming over Wi-Fi to a single zone at a time. So you can enjoy high-resolution WAV or FLAC files without downsampling.
Built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX®
You can also stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the Prime Wireless Speaker system via Bluetooth. The system includes aptX audio coding for near-CD quality sound from compatible devices.
You can use the Prime Wireless Speaker System with just about any sound source. Stereo RCA connectors let you hook up your CD player, receiver, or another audio component. Use the digital optical input to connect your TV. Enjoy music from handheld devices through the stereo minijack.
The system also has a USB port for hardware updates, which you can also you can use to recharge your smartphone or tablet. And you can connect a subwoofer, like one of SVS's highly rated models, via a dedicated mono sub output.
Compatible with Amazon Alexa
The SVS Prime Speaker System does not have built-in microphones. But if you add (or already own) an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, you can give it voice commands through Alexa. This feature is set up through the DTS Play-Fi app and enabled by the specific Play-Fi skill available through Amazon.
- pair includes one active speaker, one passive speaker, and a 10-foot proprietary connecting cable
- 2-way speaker design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" composite glass-fiber mid/woofer
- 50-watt RMS Class D amplifier for each driver
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- Bluetooth 4.0 including AAC and aptX technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- frequency response: 52-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 6-1/8"W x 10-1/4"H x 7-1/4"D (7"D for passive speaker)
- weight: 9.55 lbs. (8.73 lbs. for passive speaker)
DTS Play-Fi app:
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- plays music stored on network hard drives and computers (DLNA-compatible)
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Deezer, Amazon Music Unlimited, TIDAL, SiriusXM, Qobuz, Napster, iHeartRadio, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple zones simultaneously or individually select music for each zone
- plays MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz (downsamples high-resolution PCM files to 16-bit/48kHz)
- Critical Listing Mode allows streaming of high-res files up to 24-bit/192kHz in native resolution for a single zone at a time
- Toslink digital optical input
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- RCA stereo input
- USB port for firmware updates and device recharging
- mono subwoofer output
- Ethernet port
- elastomer stick-on bumper feet
- removable cloth grille
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # Prime pair white
What's in the box:
- Active wireless speaker
- Passive speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- 10' Speaker cable
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive feet
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty/Registration Card
- SVS brochure
Customer reviews for SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System
Average review:3.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192k Hz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Amazon Music||Amazon Music HD|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android, Windows|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Active-Passive Speaker Pair: SVS achieved reference quality sound by giving the Prime Wireless Speaker System true stereo separation from an active-passive speaker pair thanks to a massively powerful 200 watt four-way internal amplifier and brilliantly tuned digital crossover. The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System consists of one active Right speaker and one passive Left speaker. An included 10' proprietary speaker cable connects from the active Right speaker to the passive Left speaker (this cable cannot be lengthened or modified).
- Class-D Amplification: A commanding Class-D amplifier delivers 50 watts to each driver for effortless power and room-energizing dynamic impact with revealing clarity, even at reference volume. This 200 watts of Class-D amplification presents an accurate and convincing stereo image from a true 2-channel active-passive speaker pair with crisp dynamics, neutral voicing, a massive soundstage and powerful dynamics.
- Active Digital Crossover: By using an active digital crossover, SVS engineers could painstakingly tune the Prime Wireless Speaker System to achieve high sound quality from all types of audio formats. A function of the extremely powerful DSP engine, the active digital crossover maximizes performance of each driver by controlling power delivery and frequency response with absolute precision.
Two-Way Driver Design: Each speaker features an acoustically optimized 1" aluminum dome tweeter and high-output 4.5" midrange driver for a crisp, accurate and full-range stereo sound at any volume level.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The Prime Wireless speaker's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is light, efficient, and rigid, and plays crystal clear at high volumes for an exceptional transient response. The tweeter utilizes an FEA-optimized diffuser for even greater clarity with a sense of utter transparency, while also offering an "airy" presentation and incredibly unveiled highs so female vocals and dialogue always sound natural, crisp and smooth.
- 4.5" Polypropylene Woofer: Thoughtfully designed for acoustic excellence, the Prime Wireless speaker's 4.5" woofer is mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure smooth, precise and clear midrange and bass output that's free from coloration. The polypropylene cone material is extremely light and rigid and maintains a flat frequency response with excellent handling across the foundational mid-range frequencies. The woofer utilizes a rugged motor and long-stroke suspension for high output, along with aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion. Low frequency extension is shockingly deep and effortless considering the cabinet size and the Prime Wireless speaker can hit reference volume with amazing clarity, no distortion, and headroom to spare.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design: The Prime Wireless Speaker System utilizes a FEA-optimized MDF cabinet with internal bracing to eliminate resonances. The speaker cabinet's chamfered front baffle, flush-mounted drivers, tapered edges, and acoustically transparent FEA optimized grille minimize edge diffraction and improve on-axis high frequency response for clear, precise sound staging. Each speaker cabinet also utilizes a 2.36" wide-flared rear-firing port for greater efficiency and smoother response.
High-Resolution 24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System utilizes a sophisticated 24-bit/129kHz DAC that maintains complete faithfulness to the source material so music and all audio content sounds precisely as the artist or producer intended whether a you are streaming an online music service via DTS Play-Fi or listening to Bluetooth audio.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop) computer to the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker. In addition to Bluetooth's SBC standard codec, the system supports aptX for wireless "CD-Quality" sound from compatible source devices and AAC for better quality playback from Apple iOS devices. You can pair multiple devices with the speaker system, but only one can be used for playback at a time. Playback control and song/artist/album display will still be done from your Bluetooth source device.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to wireless network and Bluetooth connectivity, the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System features analog & digital audio inputs. There are two analog audio inputs - a stereo RCA input and a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input. The 3.5mm input will override the stereo RCA input if both are used simultaneously. There is also a optical (toslink) digital input for connection of a TV, Blu-ray player or game console. The optical digital input supports 2ch PCM only (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). Both analog and digital inputs support multiroom distribution through the DTS Play-Fi app.
Subwoofer Output: A mono-RCA subwoofer output on the back of the active Right speaker allows easy connection to a SVS or other brand of powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for deeper bass and a more-thrilling and immersive experience. An active Low Pass Filter at 80Hz is engaged when subwoofer detected.
Front-Panel Controls & Display: On the front-panel of the active Right speaker are two 3-way rotary knobs and LCD screen. The 3-way rotary knobs are used to control source & preset selection, as well as control volume, play and pause. The front-panel display indicates source and preset selection.
Mounting Options: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System can be simply placed on a table top, bookshelf, or stands. There are eight included self-adhesive rubber feet that can be used on the bottom of the speakers to protect your furniture. The feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speakers. The speaker system does not provide any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers.
Power Requirements: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System includes a detachable 6' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). This detachable power cord plugs into the "Right" active speaker only. This system is not battery powered.
USB Charging Port: A rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to charge your smartphone or tablet's battery. This USB port does not support media or data transfer.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound - up to 24-bit/192kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand (like SVS, Onkyo, Integra, Klipsch, MartinLogan, McIntosh, Paradigm, Phorus, Polk Audio, Wren, and more) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network: The Prime Wireless Speaker System offers an Ethernet (RJ45) Input/Output and built-in, dual-band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) to connect to your home's network for access to internet radio, select online music services, and the music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device and Windows PC or DLNA music server via DTS Play-Fi wireless technology. When using WiFi, a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker system to your wireless home network.
- You can perform WiFi setup via the Play-Fi app on your compatible mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network).
- You can also use the WPS button on back of speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) is required to enjoy DTS Play-Fi wireless audio. From the app you can initially set up the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System, as well as add, link, and control multiple DTS Play-Fi speakers and players. You'll be able stream music directly from select music online services and internet radio stations, or music on your mobile device or computer to a single DTS Play-Fi speaker, group of DTS Play-Fi speakers, or all your DTS Play-Fi speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: Through DTS Play-Fi wireless technology and the Play-Fi app, the Prime Wireless Speaker System gives you access to a variety of music sources - including music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device, music content on your computer or DLNA service, as well as select online music services and internet radio.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music (including HD), iHeartRadio, Napster, & more. Subscription & fees may apply.
- Mobile Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Apple iOS & Android device running the Play-Fi app. Up to eight separate wireless mobile devices running the Play-Fi app, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Computer Audio (DLNA Certified): The Prime Wireless Speaker System is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7-up) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Supported Music Files: The Prime Wireless Speaker System with DTS Play-Fi supports music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 24-bit/192kHz to a single speaker (Critical Listening Mode) or up to 16-bit/48kHz to multiple speakers (CD Quality). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and does not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Built-in DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS & Android devices with the Play-Fi App installed.
- Music libraries from your Windows PC, DLNA music server, or Mac computer (running 3rd party software).
- Analog & digital inputs, as well as Bluetooth audio.
6 Custom Presets: Six custom presets give you instant access via WiFi to your favorite music playlists, internet radio stations, and streaming music services that exist within the DTS Play-Fi app without needing the DTS Play-Fi app on your Apple iOS or Android device. You can simply walk up to the Prime Wireless Speaker System, push the knob to start a preset and your favorite music will start playing.
Alexa Compatible: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System supports voice control of select DTS Play-Fi music apps (such as Amazon, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, & Spotify Connect) from an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) that is connected to the same WiFi network. Voice control functions include initiating playback of an Artist, Album, Song, Station or Podcast from a compatible music app on a specific speaker/player or zone/room; as well a playback controls such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause/Resume, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat and Like/Unlike.
4 questions already asked