About the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
A sleeker smart lock
A sleeker smart lock
August has been making great smart locks for years, but they've taken a big leap forward with this new fourth-generation model. It has Wi-Fi built-in, so it doesn't require a separate Connect bridge to enable the juiciest smart features. It's also smaller than previous versions, so it can fit more doors — both physically and aesthetically. Installation is still as simple as fitting it onto your existing single-cylinder deadbolt hardware.
The August app's activity feed shows you what's happening at home at a glance.
With geofencing enabled, you can simply approach the door with your smartphone on your person, and it will automatically unlock. You can also set it to automatically lock as you leave.
If you prefer less-automated methods, you can lock and unlock the door — from wherever you are — using the August app on your phone or Apple Watch. And because the lock works with your existing deadbolt, you can still use your old keys to gain entry.
Control it with your voice
This lock is compatible with all the major voice assistants (sold separately) so you can lock, unlock, or check the lock status with your choice of Siri, Google Assistant, or Amazon Alexa. Unlocking the door with your voice assistant may require a verbal PIN code, so this one is best done out of earshot of strangers.
Expand your system
The August app's activity feed lets you keep track of comings and goings, but if you want to be able to see and communicate with guests, pick up a video doorbell. And if you'd like to grant easy access to residents, guests, or contractors, you can install the August Smart Keypad in your doorway for secure, code-based entry into your home.
- Featured in our article: Best smart locks for 2023
- fourth-generation wireless smart lock
- attaches to your existing single-cylinder deadbolt on the inside of your door
- existing keys will still work
- for more info, see August's deadbolt compatibility list
- no bridge required — Wi-Fi is built-in
- control and manage with the free August app on any iOS® or Android™ smartphone or Apple Watch
- 24/7 activity log tracks who enters and exits your home
- check your lock's status at any time, from anywhere
- lock and unlock the door remotely
- grant keyless access on a temporary, recurring, or permanent basis
- revoke access at any time
- auto-lock automatically secures your door once closed or after a specified amount of time
- auto-unlock feature uses geo-fencing to automatically unlock the door when you arrive home
- DoorSense™ technology tells you if your door is open or closed
- two-layer encryption, two-factor authentication, and lost phone features keep your home more secure
- compatible with August Smart Keypad
- powered by 2 replaceable CR123 batteries (included)
- estimated battery life: 3-6 months
- operates on 2.4GHz 802.11 (b/g/n) Wi-Fi
- compatible with voice assistant devices (sold separately):
- 2-7/8"W x 2-7/8"H x 1-13/16"D
- weight: 12.35 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # AUG-SL05-M01-G01
What's in the box:
- Wi-Fi smart lock (matte black)
- 2 CR123A Lithium batteries (installed)
- Mounting plate
- Cover plate
- 4 Tailpiece adapters (blue / green / yellow / red)
- Adhesive strip
- DoorSense sensor
- DoorSense cover
- 2 DoorSense mounting screws (Length 3/4")
- DoorSense adhesive mount
- DoorSense cap
- Let's Get Started card
- Auto-Unlock / Auto-Lock card
- DoorSense card
- Integrations card
Customer reviews for August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock
Overview: The August Wi-Fi Smart Lock (4th generation) installs over your existing single-cylinder deadbolt lock and lets you lock and unlock your door with your smartphone (Android or iOS) or an Apple Watch. The lock installs on the inside of your door, and attaches to your existing deadbolt. You can still use your keys, if you want, or use the Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock features to automatically lock and unlock it without them. You can also manually turn the deadbolt by hand from the inside if you don't want to use your phone. You can grant temporary access to others ("virtual keys"), and use your smartphone to keep track of who comes and goes anytime of the day and night. Wi-Fi Smart Lock is powered by 2 pre-installed CR123A Lithium batteries (installed).
Wi-Fi Requirements: The Wi-Fi Smart Lock works via Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) on the 2.4GHz band only. The lock has built-in Wi-Fi compatibility, and requires no other hardware (such as the August Connect bridge) to give you full remote and voice accessibility.
Compatibility: August Wi-Fi Smart Lock is compatible with standard single-cylinder deadbolt locks that are mounted and operate independently of the door handle. It does not work with mortise, rim cylinder, or interconnected locks. Click here for the August Deadbolt Compatibility List. To install the Wi-Fi Smart Lock, you will need to remove the interior portion of the deadbolt, and replace it with the Wi-Fi Smart Lock unit. Four adapters are included to fit most deadbolts to the Wi-Fi Smart Lock mechanism. Installation requires a standard Phillips screwdriver, and typically takes less than 15 minutes.
Smartphone Integration: The August Wi-Fi Smart Lock interacts with your smartphone or tablet through the August Home app. The app must be loaded to the phone of all users, including guests. As long as your smartphone is range, you can lock or unlock the door from the app. Each time the door is locked or unlocked by a user via the app, a notification is sent to selected users, and the event is logged to the app. The August Home app is compatible with iPhones running iOS 11.0 or later, Apple watch OS 4.0 or later, and with Android devices with Bluetooth 4.0 and running Android 8.0 and up.
Voice Assistant Compatible: The Wi-Fi Smart Lock can be paired to Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri (Apple HomeKit), and other voice assistants, to let you lock, unlock, and check the status of your door, by using your voice.
Security: August Smart Locks use AES 128-bit, BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), and TLS encryption in its mobile applications. In addition, August uses 2 Factor Authentication in order to access the app. When signing up, you will need to validate both your email and phone number, and a token is stored on your account and device. If you try to sign in on a new device, you will have to authenticate your account using both your password and with a code sent to either your email or phone number. Should you lose your phone, you can easily disable the August app and all virtual keys on associated devices at any time.
DoorSense™: Included with the Wi-Fi Smart Lock is the DoorSense™ module, which can sense whether or not your door is open or closed. A magnet in the DoorSense module interacts with the SmartLock when the door is closed. You can view the condition of the door (open or closed, locked or unlocked) on the August Home app. DoorSense can be surface-mounted or flush-mounted next to your deadbolt, and requires only a screwdriver to install. (Flush mounting also requires drilling a 5/8" hole in the door frame.) You will need to calibrate the Wi-Fi Smart Lock after installation to insure the functionality of DoorSense.
August Doorbell Cams: The Wi-Fi Smart Lock can be easily paired with the August Doorbell Camera so you can see and speak to your visitors when they approach your door. You can remotely unlock the door to let them in from anywhere. This is helpful for cleaning services, repair persons, deliveries, or other situations.
Smart Keypad: The optional August Smart Keypad is an accessory for the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock. It attaches to the wall outside your home, and allows you operate the Wi-Fi Smart Lock without a smartphone. Unique codes can be generated for each individual, including guests or service personnel. The unique codes tie your guest's name to each entry so you can keep track of who comes and goes. The Wi-Fi Smart Lock and Smart Keypad can create a 24/7 log of who entered your home and when.
August Lock Users: There are several levels of users of the August Home app. The Home Owner is the individual who originally set up the lock and has access to all of the settings and can invite (and delete) guests. A Lock Owner has all of the same access to the settings and guest lists. A Guest can lock and unlock the Wi-Fi Smart Lock at any time, but cannot change settings or invite other guests. Access types for Guests include: Always, Recurring, and Temporary. The account of each Owner or Guest can be set up whether or not to trigger notifications when that specific user operates the lock.
Smart Lock Features: The Wi-Fi Smart Lock offers the following features:
- Auto-Lock: The Auto-Lock feature gives you extra peace-of-mind by automatically locking your door after it closes, or after a predetermined amount of time, up to 30 minutes. DoorSense is required if you want to control when the door automatically locks. Without DoorSense, the door will lock automatically immediately after it closes when Auto-Lock is enabled.
- Auto-Unlock: Auto-Unlock automatically unlocks your door as you approach it, without having to use your phone or your keys. It uses the August Home app, along with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS to determine your location. When you're at home, the August app will enter the Home Mode and not allow Auto-Unlock to function. When the August app determines (through GPS) that you have left your home, and traveled more than 200 meters from home, Auto-Unlock will go into Away Mode. When you return to within 200 meters of your home, your phone will start trying to locate your lock. Once you're within 20-30 feet, and the app has recognized your Smart Lock, the door will Auto-Unlock, putting the app back into Home Mode.
- Smart Alerts: Each time the status of your door lock changes, the Wi-Fi Smart Lock will send you a smart alert. When an associated user (spouse, child, etc.) comes or goes, you will be able to identify who locked or unlocked the door. Smart Alerts are also sent when your door has been left ajar, and you can always see at a glance whether the door is locked or unlocked.
- Guest Keys: You can issue guest keys to family, friends, or service workers listed in your contacts. You will never have to hide a key, or worry about who has keys to your home. Each guest will be sent an invitation to download the app, after which, they will have instant access to your home. You can create limits for your guests, as desired.