About the ELAC Protek PR-81B
90+ years of ELAC excellence
90+ years of ELAC excellence
When you have outstanding audio and video equipment, you want to protect it from voltage fluctuations and power anomalies. And, when you're an audio company with a stellar reputation like ELAC, you make your own line of surge protectors to the same level of engineering excellence as the rest of your equipment. The ELAC Protek line offers AC line conditioning, voltage monitoring, and protection from voltage spikes and fluctuations.
Which ELAC Protek unit is right for me?
Nine filtered and surge-protected outlets make this PR-81B a wonderful solution for large home theater systems. It has three high-current, always on outlets for your most power-hungry gear, like your receiver and subwoofer. Six switched outlets can handle your other A/V equipment, rack lights, fans, and more with ease. The '81B's outlets are divided into three separately controlled groups, giving you lots of flexibility.
Built-in Bluetooth lets you manage the '81B with the free ELAC Protek app for Android™ and Apple iOS®. The app lets you control outlets by groups, set countdown timers, and create schedules.
Peace of mind paired with top-notch sound and picture
The ‘81B offers EMI/RFI filtration for clean power, resulting in superior audio and video quality for your media. It protects your sensitive equipment within a nanosecond from power surges and under-voltage situations with 50% more surge protection than the PR-71S. Four USB Type-A ports give you convenient charging for your portable devices. You can mount the PR-81B in your equipment rack or tuck it into the shelf of your entertainment center.
- total of nine filtered and surge-protected AC outlets
- three high-current/always on outlets: one front, two rear in Group 1
- six switched rear-panel outlets: two in Group 2, four in Group 3
- power and reboot buttons
- reboot button power-cycles outlets in Group 1
- switchable front-panel voltage/current display with adjustable brightness
- LED indicators show the status of the surge protector
- 2 front and 2 rear USB Type-A charging ports
- 8-foot AC power cord with 360° rotating plug
- controllable via Bluetooth with free ELAC Protek app for Android and Apple iOS
- control outlet groups, set countdown timers, and create schedules
- EMI/RFI noise filtration for clean power
- over- and under-voltage protection
- overload protection
- 3240-joule surge protection
- response time: 1 nanosecond
- maximum current rating: 15 amps
- 16-15/16" W x 1-7/8" H x 8-15/16" D
- weight: 6.62 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- ELAC Connected Products Guarantee: covers up to $500,000 of equipment plugged into the surge protector on a connected properly-installed 120V AC power line
- MFR # PB-81B
What's in the box:
- Component surge protector with 9 AC outlets + 4 USB ports and attached 8' power cord
- Setup Guide
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Customer reviews for ELAC Protek PR-81B
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC Protek PR-81B
Features & specs
|Total AC Outlets||9|
|Total Current Capacity||15|
|USB Connections||4 USB-A|
|Coaxial RF Jacks||No|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$500,000|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The ELAC Protek PR-81B is a component-style surge protector with 9 AC outlets (including one on the front panel) and four USB charging ports. The outlets are arranged into three groups -- one group for high-current devices, and the other two groups for lower current components. The front panel features a switchable voltage/ammeter display and a row of LED indicators. The unit has an attached 8' power cord with an angled plug that protrudes only 5/8" from the wall. The 3-prong plugs rotate 360° to allow you to angle the cord in any direction. The surge protector has built-in Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and can be controlled through the ELAC Protek app on your smartphone or tablet. The rack-mountable PR-81B is covered by a limited lifetime warranty and a $500,000 Connected Equipment Guarantee.
Surge Protection: The Protek Surge Protector keeps your electronic devices safe from devastating power surges caused by lightning or power outages. It employs Mode 1 surge protection, which ensures your equipment's audio and video performance is not affected by common everyday power surges. Its internal technology provides up to 3240 joules of surge protection with a 1 nanosecond (1 billionth of a second) response time. The PR-81B has a maximum spike rating of 165,000 Amps or 6 KV (6000 volts). It has a fire-retardant ceramic casing and a high temperature resistance. It features L-N, L-G, N-G protection modes and Thermal Fusing. When the Surge Protector is operating properly, the Mode 1 protection diverts the power surge through the MOV to the neutral line which can handle thousands of volts, instead of sending it to the ground line where it can cause damage to interconnected devices.
9 Outlets: The PR-81B has eight AC outlets on the rear panel and one on the front panel. All of the outlets are protected from surges, and over- and under-voltage, and filtered from EMI/RFI noise. The front panel outlet is always on, and can be used as a convenience outlet. The rear panel outlets are divided into three groups:
- Group 1: Two of the rear panel outlets are designated as "always on," and are optimized for "high current" components, such as audio amplifiers. Basic EMI/RFI filtration (up to 40dB) is applied. These outlets are not controlled by the front panel power button, but can be power-cycled by pressing the Reboot button on the front panel.
- Groups 2 and 3: Two AC outlets are grouped together as Group 2, and four as Group 3. Both of these groups are for lower current devices, such as Blu-ray, DVD, and CD players, DACs, and turntables. These outlets can be turned on and off via the front panel power button, or via Bluetooth on the ELAC Protek app. They also provide a higher degree of EMI/RFI filtration than the Group 1 outlets -- up to 70dB between 150kHz and 100MHz.
Bluetooth (BLE): The Protek Surge Protector has a built-in Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) module for wirelessly connecting it to your smartphone or tablet. With the ELAC Protek app, you can turn on or turn off the switchable outlet groups (Groups 2 and 3). You can also set up countdown timers or schedules for those outlet groups. The mobile app is available for Android (4.4 and up) and Apple iOS 10.0 or later.
USB Ports: The PR-81B features two front-panel and two rear-panel USB Type A charging ports for plugging in your USB-powered devices. Not only will the ports charge your devices, but they protect your sensitive electronics from AC surges. Each group of USB ports is rated at 5V and 2.4A total.
Over or Under Voltage: When an unsafe voltage condition is detected, the PR-81B will disconnect power to your connected devices from excessive voltage or a brownout. The over-voltage threshold is 135 volts, while the under-voltage limit is 95 volts.
Overload Breaker: A push button-style overload breaker is located on the rear panel of the unit. When the surge protector is overloaded, the circuit breaker will trip, cutting power to all of the outlets. Resetting the breaker (by pressing in the button) should restore power to the outlets. After the reset, you should confirm that the Protected/Clean Power LED is lit. If it is not, the surge protector should be replaced.
EMI/RFI Filtering: In addition to protecting your devices from power surges and lightning strikes, the PR-81B filters EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RFI (radio frequency interference). EMI and RFI can adversely affect the performance of your electronic devices, including your A/V equipment. The six rear panel AC outlets in Groups 2 and 3 provide up to 70dB of EMI/RFI filtration, while the remaining outlets have up to 40dB of basic filtration.
Display: The front panel has a digital display that shows the status of the outlet that the surge protector is plugged into. The display consists of four 14-segment characters to display the input voltage in whole numbers, plus a letter (V or A). You can switch the display between voltage and current, as desired. The nearby dimmer button lets you cycle through the brightness settings of the display: 10%, 35%, 70% or 100%.
LED Indicators: The PR-81B has several LED indicators on the front panel that show the status of the surge protector:
- Protected/Clean Power: LED Blue: The outlets of the unit are protected. LED Red: protection is not working, and your connected devices are not protected.
- Ground OK: LED Blue: The wall outlet is properly grounded. LED Red: The wall outlet is not properly grounded, and you should consult a licensed electrician to remedy the problem.
- Reversed Polarity: LED Red: The wall outlet is installed with the polarity reversed. A licensed electrician should be consulted. LED Off: The wall outlet polarity is correct.
- Unsafe Voltage: LED Red: Unsafe voltage has been detected, and the surge protector will disconnect power to your connected devices. You should call a licensed electrician to remedy the problem. LED Off: Normal voltage is detected.
Note: White LEDs are present to indicate the presence of power to the Group 1 (G1), Group 2 (G2), Group 3 (G3), and Front Panel outlets.
Rebooting: The Reboot button on the front panel surge protector allows you to power cycle the two "always on" Group 1 outlets, if needed. Pressing and holding (for 1.5 seconds) the button will turn off, then turn back on the Group 1 outlets.
Rack Mounting: The PR-81B is designed to be placed on a tabletop or shelf, or it can be mounted into a standard equipment rack. The component is 1-3/4" high and 17" wide, which takes up one rack unit space (1U). Four holes are drilled in the side panels for installing rack ears (sold separately). Four adhesive-backed rubber feet are installed on the bottom of the unit for shelf/tabletop placement. They can be removed, if needed, to fit the unit into a rack.
Connected Equipment Guarantee: The ELAC Protek PR-81B Surge Protector features a $500,000 Connected Equipment Guarantee. In the event that damage is caused to equipment while it is plugged into the covered Protek Surge Suppressor, and the damage is determined to have been caused by a defect in the suppressor's materials or workmanship. Terms and conditions apply.
- Surge Protection (Joule Rating): 3240 joules
- Max Spike Protection: 165,000A or 6KV
- Response Time: 1 nanosecond
- Voltage Protection:
- Over Voltage: Over 135 V AC
- Under Voltage: Under 95V AC
- Input Line Electrical Rating: 120V AC / 60Hz, 15A, 1800W
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtering:
- Group 1: Up to 40dB
- Groups 2 & 3: Up to 70dB
- USB Ports (2 Front/2 Rear): 5V - 2.4A (total output, each group)
- Dimensions: Width 16.9375", Height 1.866", Depth 8.907", Power Cord 8'
- Weight: 6.62 pounds