About the ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UFR52
Luxurious tower of sound
Luxurious tower of sound
New driver and crossover design, along with wood-grain vinyl finish options, elevate the elegant UFR52.
Speaker design guru Andrew Jones continues to refine ELAC's Uni-Fi line, and this UFR52 floor-standing speaker is its fullest expression. You'll hear a rich, detailed blend across the frequencies, with substance and presence.
The Reference Series' improvements include newly designed bass and midrange drivers with cast chassis. You also get improved crossover design, along with new vinyl wood-grain finish options.
Like its sister model, the Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52, the Reference excels in dedicated stereo setups, but it's also designed to work with most home theater receivers. Its improved internal bracing — and a trio of 5-1/4" woofers — help deliver better low-frequency response than previous Uni-Fi floor-standing speakers.
A concentric midrange/tweeter array provides clarity
ELAC has kept much of what made the original Uni-Fi Series so cool, including a concentric driver array that places the tweeter in the middle of the midrange driver. This precise alignment creates a "unified source," ensuring that all frequencies arrive at your ears at the same instant, producing more coherent and accurate sound.
What's new with the Reference?
The Uni-Fi Reference Series features all-new drivers. The UFR52's 1" soft-dome tweeter produces better high- and low-frequency extension than the previous series, for improved blending with the newly designed 4" cast-basket midrange. The woofers work with the new dual-flared front-firing slot port and pair of rear ports for substantial, accurate bass. And the larger-diameter voice coil in the midrange delivers a smoother handoff between frequencies.
Refined crossovers help lighten the load on your amp
Continuing refinements to the crossovers make the Uni-Fi Reference Series easier for your amplifier to drive than their predecessors. And like the Uni-Fi 2.0 floor-standing speakers, the Reference version has a nominal impedance rating of 6 ohms instead of 4 ohms, which means it should work better with a wider range of receivers and amps.
- true 3-way floor-standing speaker design
- custom-designed concentric driver with 4" aluminum cone midrange and 1" soft dome tweeter for clear, accurate mids and highs
- three custom-designed 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofers
- frequency response: 40-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- maximum power input: 140 watts
- sophisticated multi-element crossover with high-grade components to ensure smooth transition between drivers
- bass-reflex cabinet design with dual-flared front port and two rear ports
- heavy-duty MDF cabinet
- internal bracing reduces cabinet vibration that causes unwanted sonic coloration
- dual binding post speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring
- magnetically attached cloth grilles
- satin white speaker baffle with oak vinyl sides and back
- 9-1/4"W x 39-9/16"H x 13-5/16"D
- 52.36 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- MFR # UFR52-W
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 Jumper-bars (pre-installed)
- 2 Stabilizer-bars
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Protective discs
- 4 Knobs
- 6 Machine screws
- Operating Instructions
Customer reviews for ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UFR52
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UFR52
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Power Range||up to 140|
|Frequency Response||40-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Speaker Design: The Elac Uni-Fi Reference Series UFR52 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a 3-way design with an improved in-house developed concentric driver. A 3-way speaker offers many advantages in the design of a full-range system. By assigning dedicated drivers to high, midrange, and bass frequencies, each is optimized for the frequency range for which its design and material composition is best suited. The UFR52 floorstanding speaker consists of a concentric midrange-tweeter driver for high and midrange frequencies, while three aluminum-cone woofers handle lower-frequency midbass and bass. At the same time, a 3-way speaker allows for a more straightforward crossover and cabinet design.
- Custom-Designed Concentric Driver: The Uni-Fi UFR52 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a concentric driver design, combining the 1" soft-dome tweeter and 4" midrange cone diaphragm within a single voice coil. Because of its ideal time-domain characteristics, a concentric driver design delivers the most coherent and accurate reproduction across the treble and midrange frequency spectrums. Positioning the tweeter concentrically within the midrange voice coil achieves a uniform directivity pattern, for flat frequency response and formidable power handling, along with enhanced imaging for both on- and off-axis listening positions.
- Dual Aluminum Woofers: In addition to the concentric midrange-tweeter driver, the Uni-Fi UFR52 features three 5.25" aluminum cone woofers. Through the use of aluminum, resonances that affect the linearity of common paper cones can be placed beyond the driver's operating frequency range. With a single-piece compound curvature aluminum cone and a large rear vented magnet, these three 5.25" woofers with cast chassis deliver improved linearity, greater power handling, and accurate reproduction of bass frequencies that are clean, clear and powerful.
Sophisticated Crossover: One secret to the great sound of the Uni-Fi Reference Series loudspeaker is the high quality, audio-grade components specified in the manufacture of each custom, 3-way crossover. This careful 3-way crossover design provides a smooth transition between the high, mid, and bass drivers.
Robust MDF Cabinet: The Elac Uni-Fi Reference Series speaker enclosure is engineered for the long run with thick MDF outer walls and a luxurious wood veneer finish. The Uni-Fi Reference cabinet incorporates specially designed perimeter bracing around the interior of the cabinet to add stiffness and strength to the cabinet's outer walls. This bracing greatly reduces cabinet vibration, which causes unwanted coloration to the sound. ELAC believes that the only parts of a speaker that should be moving are the speaker drivers themselves.
- Bass Reflex: The Elac UFR52 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a front-firing slot vent and two rear-firng ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. Utilizing both internal and external flares, the Uni-Fi Reference series slot vent and ports allow for lower noise and higher bass output for improved low frequency dynamics.
- Magnetic Grille: The Elac UFR52 floorstanding speaker comes with a magnetic cloth grille that is grey in color. When the protective grille is removed, hidden magnets beneath the surface of the cabinet keeps the front-baffle free of attachment holes, for a clean appearance.
Note: The Elac UFR52 floorstanding loudspeaker is available in a walnut or oak wood-grain finish.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elac Uni-Fi Reference Series UFR52 is outfitted with two sets of heavy-duty binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting & Placement Options: Outrigger feet used for the UFR52 provide a larger, more stable footprint and add stability and optimum coupling of the speaker cabinet to the floor. The included turn knobs let you dial in precise leveling of the four corners, which are supplied with spikes and protective discs, used according to whether the loudspeaker is placed on a soft or hard floor surface. The protective discs add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker.
- The speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners.
- Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural (particularly in a corner).
- If corner placement is unavoidable, try to position the loudspeaker so that the distance to the rear wall is not equal to the distance to the side wall.
Note: The UFR52 floorstanding speaker should always be used with the outrigger feet installed for optimum sound and maximum stability.
Applications: The Elac UFR52 floorstanding loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Application: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Application: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers.
Elac Uni-Fi Reference Series: The Elac Uni-Fi Reference series family of loudspeakers consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker (UFR52), a bookshelf loudspeaker (UBR62), and a center-channel speaker (UCR52) - all sold separately. All of the Uni-Fi Reference series of speakers feature concentric driver technology. The Uni-Fi Reference series can be the basis of an outstanding two-channel system, or used to build an awe-inspiring multi-channel surround-sound system.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an ELAC powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Uni-Fi Reference Series speaker to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.