Kevin Koehler's 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
Matt Holliday was one of Crutchfield's ace car enthusiasts for several years. He brought a lifetime of knowledge and experience to our team. He has since left the company to join the family business and pursue other interests.
More from Matt Holliday
- Python Security and Remote Start Model 881XP
- Power Acoustik 4 Channel Amp Gothic Series Model OV4-800 (800 watts)
- Directed Audio Class D Mono Block Amp Model D1200 (1200 watts)
- Kicker 04SS56.2 6-1/2 Component Speakers (2 pr.), Front and Rear Doors
- Kicker CompVR 124 (2), Rear Cargo Area
- Kenwood KDC-X589 Head Unit
- Kenwood KGC-6042A 11 Band Passive Equalizer
- Monster XP 16ga Speaker Cable
- Streetwires LN250 Low Noise 2 RCA Patch Cables (3 pr)
- GM Kit 1995-up, In-dash Kit
- Metra VT-GMOS-04, Onstar Compatible Box for Aftermarket Head Unit
- XM XMDKEN100, Kenwood XM Unit
- XM Satellite XMD1000, Universal XM Tuner
- Limited 275 Wheels 20"
- Goodyear Eagle GT II 275- 45-20
I originally started with adding 2 - 12" Rockford Fosgate subs and a Crossfire Single channel amp (400x1). Then for better, louder performance, those were ditched for the Kicker CompVR 124's with a Class D Mono Block to push them. Soon after, the deck was replaced and I added in an eq, along with replacing the factory door and dash speakers with Kicker Components, and a 4 channel amp to push them.
Why did you decide to upgrade your A/V system?
Wanted better sound and performance, more boom for the buck.
What's the first thing you show people about your installation?
They hear it before they see it, but the new deck and eq are usually the first thing they see.
Why did you choose these products?
I had nothing but Fosgate in my Explorer, so with Kicker's reliability and reputation, they were the next likely choice for my new truck.
What was the most difficult part of the installation?
I thought flushing the tweeters into the doors would have been the hardest, but it wasn't nearly as much of a pain as hooking up the head unit, eq, and XM were, while trying to retain my OnStar capability.
What plans, if any, do you have for future upgrades?
I am planning on adding a Navigation system, front and rear video screens, and an airbag/ride system, hopefully before the winter arrives.
Nothing but Bass